League Reconstruction

Lindau

Seemingly a meeting is being held this afternoon in a bid to get this through for start of next season

SPL 1...10 teams

SPL 2...10 teams

One promoted/1 relegated

Play off between 9th in SPL 1 and 2nd/3rd/4th in SPL 2

No end of season SPL split

Earlier July start to SPL

Guaranteed winter break

2 lower divisions regionalised

Certainly 100% better than we have at present

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPL 1...10 teams play the same teams 4 times Boring

SPL 2...10 teams play the same team 4 times Boring (basically the same as the 1st division is now)

One promoted/1 relegated same as today boring

Play off between 9th in SPL 1 and 2nd/3rd/4th in SPL 2 an improvement

No end of season SPL split an improvementEarlier July start to SPL

Guaranteed winter break

2 lower divisions regionalised whats the promotion to from these from the SPL2 or is it a closed shop

I personally think this is not the way forward :thumbdown:

Are the NOTW suggesting the lower leagues becoming regional will be discussed at an SPL meeting? I wouldn't imagine that they would have any control over such a matter and as such would take what they are saying about the rest with a huge pinch of salt.

A winter break is pointless IMO. No one can predict when the weather will hit the worst and we could end up with even worse fixture congestion plus clubs not having any cash in for a few weeks in January but still have to pay their players.

This stuff always sends me into rant mode.

These proposals have to be voted on and passed by 11 to 1. They'll have to get at least one turkey to vote for Christmas to let two teams fall off the Old Firm gravy train.

My question as a Jags fan would be, what's in it for our team? By that I mean what is there in hard cash that would prevent us from going down the toilet? What's so good about this deal that is better than a 16-team league (for example) that would see our club give up the cosy confines of a dull league of 10 for the same cosy confines of another league of 10 under the auspices of a group of people who have repeatedly screwed or tried to screw our club?

(Pauses for breath.)

Its a front page+ additional 2 page article, so too much to post however Doncaster says the feedback he has received from clubs is so positive that he is confident of getting it passed. The one stumbling block appears to be that Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Dundee Und are wary of the play offs as it could cost them severely if they get relegated by that method. The first two I can understand...but Dundee Und???

These proposals have to be voted on and passed by 11 to 1. They'll have to get at least one turkey to vote for Christmas to let two teams fall off the Old Firm gravy train.

My question as a Jags fan would be, what's in it for our team? By that I mean what is there in hard cash that would prevent us from going down the toilet? What's so good about this deal that is better than a 16-team league (for example) that would see our club give up the cosy confines of a dull league of 10 for the same cosy confines of another league of 10 under the auspices of a group of people who have repeatedly screwed or tried to screw our club?

(Pauses for breath.)

I'll leave the rest for someone else but I'm fairly sure to increase the league size the vote required is 11 to 1 but to decrease the number of teams it is 10 to 2. All part of the weird and wonderful rulebook of the SPL.

I thought that but not according to NOTW...it can get passed by a 2/3rds majority... 8 clubs for/4 against

My question as a Jags fan would be, what's in it for our team? By that

For one thing it will make the SPL2 very competitive if up to 4th place has a chance of getting promoted. That could mean you could be in the bottom 2 at Xmas but still have a reasonable chance of a play off position as long as you arent cut off

Seemingly a meeting is being held this afternoon in a bid to get this through for start of next season

SPL 1...10 teams

SPL 2...10 teams

One promoted/1 relegated

Play off between 9th in SPL 1 and 2nd/3rd/4th in SPL 2

No end of season SPL split

Guaranteed winter break

2 lower divisions regionalised

Certainly 100% better than we have at present

Madness and pointless to shrink the top league, typical tosh from the self-serving preservation loonies.

But we should be used to these mad ideas by now - i see Walter Smiff is also now pushing for 10 team top league - clown that he is.

Playoff proposal is at least a half step forward.

But overall, this 10 team top league keeps the closed shop, and doesn't address to help the wide-ranging and multiple issues that see crowds falling, standards falling, prices increasing, interest decreasing, less talent and more dud players coming through, the national team decline, the ineffective and poor coaching and facilities we have across the country for kids, teenagers and adults alike, which ultimately impact on the (declining) product we see week in week out on the park, whether at Firhill or any other of the 42 SPL/SFL grounds.

For one thing it will make the SPL2 very competitive if up to 4th place has a chance of getting promoted. That could mean you could be in the bottom 2 at Xmas but still have a reasonable chance of a play off position as long as you arent cut off

I accept that we scraped up from Division 2 by a similar method, but the idea that someone can finish 4th in a league of ten and still get promoted is farcical. Makes the very concept of a league redundant and will actually exacerbate one of the biggest turn-offs - that some teams will end up playing each other five, six or seven times a season. If the play-offs were two leg affairs then it's possible that two first division (sorry, SPL2) teams could play each other nine times.

• Members

Proposals to satisfy the problems of the SPL and stuff the rest of the teams in Scotland and the fans. The only way things will change is if Rangers or Celtic go through a catastrophic spell and lose half their average home attendance. Only then will they listen to what the fans want.

Te OF are killing Scottish football.

Proposals to satisfy the problems of the SPL and stuff the rest of the teams in Scotland and the fans. The only way things will change is if Rangers or Celtic go through a catastrophic spell and lose half their average home attendance. Only then will they listen to what the fans want.

Te OF are killing Scottish football.

Can't see what's that different for the top 20 teams in Scotland; especially those who would probably never leave the safety of SPL2. It's play-off time when things really become interesting and you can see why some poor-performing current SPL teams are getting jittery. Otherwise, same old same old for the OF as they'd always stay up there.

Presumably the big prize for 'lesser' teams would be to break into the SPL set up where I'm guessing there would be more money? F*** knows where this would be coming from as all teams seem to be finding things hard just now. If this does go ahead we'd better start moving up the league to make sure that we make the cut. But given the state of finances, gawd knows how this will be possible.

The real danger for clubs like us would be dropping out of SPL2. Both the top leagues would be geared for full time football the next tier down geared for part time football. Clubs promoted to SPL2 would bankrupt themselves if they wished to compete. Similarly a full time club demoted from SPL2 would likely face great financial hardship if it kept its full time status even for one season.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Guaranteed winter break

Spot the eejit SPL-mong-brained problem with this one.... just the death of the season ticket! People would maybe go along with a delayed finish into June. But once those school holidays start..... Most people are away a lot in July. Even for people without kids it's often the best time to get away from work. Universities practically shut down in July. And loads of people still go away for the Glasgow fair.

Edited by alx

Second, third AND FOURTH!!!!! Hawd ma sides what a laugh.

Not sure why any supporter of our club would object to this. Its probably the only way we are ever gonna get out of this division. If it was in play just now, even after a disasterous 1st part of the season we would only be 8 points away from a play off place and 2 points off being relegated. No meaningless games...every game would be competitive, surely thats what we all want, not a situation that has happened in past seasons when a team goes clear in the league and there is sod all to play for

So, we end up in a league with nine other teams we're sick to death of looking at and with the exciting prospect of teams like Hamilton, St Mirren, Caley, Falkirk and Dunfermline yo-yo-ing between one and two every season to 'freshen' things up until we play/trade our way out of the hellhole.

I really must put a book on my lap to hide my excitement. The cat's looking a bit worried. :wacko:

Alx, how many weeks do you take off on holiday during the summer? People would miss one home game and one away game at the very most. thinking.gif

July is a write-off for me, for one reason or another (not just 'holidays'). In general though, a lot of people are away for one or two of the four weeks. If there happened to be *two* home games in July then that's the season ticket up the swanny.

My question as a Jags fan would be, what's in it for our team?

my question as a football fan is what does this proposal do for the development of the game here?

and isn't the sfa/henry mcleish review part 2 (which favours 2 larger leagues)due any minute now?

Edited by John Blutarsky

Not sure why any supporter of our club would object to this. Its probably the only way we are ever gonna get out of this division. If it was in play just now, even after a disasterous 1st part of the season we would only be 8 points away from a play off place and 2 points off being relegated. No meaningless games...every game would be competitive, surely thats what we all want, not a situation that has happened in past seasons when a team goes clear in the league and there is sod all to play for

A proper no-nonsense play-off is 9th in the SPL versus second top of the 1st. Anything else is just crazy. Call me old-fashioned.

We need bigger leagues, not smaller. A top division of 18, 34 fixtures. & you could have a 1st div & 2nd div with 12 teams. 2 up 2 down & a play-off for a 3rd relegation/promotion place.

Keeps it interesting, 10 teams, 4 times a season isn't working & won't work after a season in this 'new' format.

I totally agree, but it seems they're not going to go for that. I give up. The Old Firm is all that matters.

I'm starting to think that we should get the message that clubs our size are not wanted, and should go away.