Meet the Manager

jags365

“Meet the Manager”

Thursday 3 February 2011, 7.30 – 9.30pm,

Aitken Suite, Firhill

Exactly what it says on the tin!

Your chance to get up close and personal with manager Ian McCall and get your questions answered.

Hear him tackle those searching football questions after the “January window” closes, share his personal football experiences and opinions and wash it down with a pint.

Your host for the evening is Tom Hosie who is well known for his breadth of football and Thistle knowledge.

This event is free for members – and if you are not yet a member feel free to join up on the night!

That was most enjoyable.

Credit to the Jags Trust for organising the evening and Ian McCall, Ian Maxwell and Craig Hinchliffe for answering the questions put to them.

I'm sure someone will be along with loads of the questions and answers soon enough, so much was talked about I can barely remember half of it.

Good night & a decent turnout considering the weather, maybe 30/40? Not sure though.

Some interesting snippets, McCall took a 20% wage cut this season, along with the likes of Hinchy, Maxy, Sid etc all taking cuts.

He is currently not sure whether to pursue a striker at the moment, yes he wants one, but deciding whether to keep the money for next season or spend it now. Should we win our next 3/4 games, yes he'll sign a striker. Hardie was mentioned, as a player/coach (possibly replacing Sid/McNamara). I took from it that Archie & Hardie would take that role. If Hardie doesn't come off he's looking at Craigan &/or David Lilley, but all depends on finances.

He liked the look of McHugh, but that now cannot happen due to injury, but there's been contact regarding Gary Glen & Danny Invincible, all down to money though.

He wants to re-sign Paton, Boyle, Archie, Rowson, Hodge. But whether these guys, especially Paton & Boyle will be happy to fit in with the wage budget we'll need to wait & see, as if they get another offer, almost certain it'll be higher than what we're offering.

But by what he said it looks like Robbo will be leaving (however he believes he can still play on for another coupls of seasons).

I'm sure more will come to me as the night goes on, but that's what's came off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, he would stick a fiver on Erskine to get a Scotland call up at 33/1. :thumbsup2:

That was most enjoyable.

Credit to the Jags Trust for organising the evening and Ian McCall, Ian Maxwell and Craig Hinchliffe for answering the questions put to them.

I'm sure someone will be along with loads of the questions and answers soon enough, so much was talked about I can barely remember half of it.

Looking forward to hearing all about it - glad it was a success.

Good night & a decent turnout considering the weather, maybe 30/40? Not sure though.

Some interesting snippets, McCall took a 20% wage cut this season, along with the likes of Hinchy, Maxy, Sid etc all taking cuts.

He is currently not sure whether to pursue a striker at the moment, yes he wants one, but deciding whether to keep the money for next season or spend it now. Should we win our next 3/4 games, yes he'll sign a striker. Hardie was mentioned, as a player/coach (possibly replacing Sid/McNamara). I took from it that Archie & Hardie would take that role. If Hardie doesn't come off he's looking at Craigan &/or David Lilley, but all depends on finances.

He liked the look of McHugh, but that now cannot happen due to injury, but there's been contact regarding Gary Glen & Danny Invincible, all down to money though.

He wants to re-sign Paton, Boyle, Archie, Rowson, Hodge. But whether these guys, especially Paton & Boyle will be happy to fit in with the wage budget we'll need to wait & see, as if they get another offer, almost certain it'll be higher than what we're offering.

But by what he said it looks like Robbo will be leaving (however he believes he can still play on for another coupls of seasons).

I'm sure more will come to me as the night goes on, but that's what's came off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, he would stick a fiver on Erskine to get a Scotland call up at 33/1. :thumbsup2:

All the names mentioned about resigning , I'd be delighted if they all signed, particularly the full backs. Can someone advise who Gary glen is, as ive never heard of him.

All the names mentioned about resigning , I'd be delighted if they all signed, particularly the full backs. Can someone advise who Gary glen is, as ive never heard of him.

Young striker at Hearts, so guess it would be a loan as they have quite high hopes for him. Has scored a few in the SPL over the last couple of seasons I think.

20yo striker , good player but was out injured at the start of the season. Jambos in work rate him

With regards to Erskine, McCall and Maxy were as confused as to his best position and how to play him as most fans are. :lol:

First question was about Fox. Hinchy was saying he's one of the best he's worked with and is ALWAYS staying behind after training. McCall compared him to keepers he's worked with in the past and said he should be better than Gallacher who he had at Dundee Utd and put him in the top 3 or 4 in the country never mind the division. Next season McCall is hoping to have Fox as first choice with Scully and Shepherd behind him fighting it out for the place on the bench. Hinchliffe would like Scully to go out on loan and play games and it's been frustrating that there's been no reserve games or under 19s games for most of the winter.

Bannigan should be pushing for a start next season, McCall reckons he's one of the best technically gifted players of his age group at the moment and just needs to build himself up a bit. Campbell does have the build already and McCall said he'd have no hesitation in starting him, he did stress he doesn't want to throw any of the youngsters in.

Someone asked him if he regretted not letting Roberts go, he said it was the right move at the time and he's delighted to see him do well at Ayr.

Any word on MacBeth? I know the lack of reserve games has limited his progress in getting back to match fitness but was it mentioned if he was going out on loan soon?

Also, did McCall mention if he'll be offering new deals to the youngsters who are out of contract at the end of the season?

Starting to really worry about his progression. Think someone mentioned at a recent game that he may have the same condition that kept Liam out for so long.

Any word on MacBeth? I know the lack of reserve games has limited his progress in getting back to match fitness but was it mentioned if he was going out on loan soon?

Also, did McCall mention if he'll be offering new deals to the youngsters who are out of contract at the end of the season?

There was hope last week of getting MacBeth out on loan for a month or 2 last week but it never happened but McCall said they are still hopeful he can go somewhere before the end of the season. No mention of where though.

Mentioned offering Scully or Shepherd (if either or both of them are out of contract) new deals but can't remember him mentioning anyone else.

First time I have ever attended such an event and I really enjoyed it. Good questions, good answers but never won a prize in the raffle!

Credit to JT for organising the night but thumbs down for missing a trick with turning folks and fivers away.

Roll on JT AGM when board elections will be held.

Since the actual Q&A from last night seems to be lost due to all the discussion of the merits of the Jags Trust making the event members only or not I thought this deserved a separate thread.

Is there anything those who couldn't make it want to know? If it was discussed then I'm sure either myself or someone else who was there would be happy to tell you what was said by Ian McCall, Ian Maxwell or Craig Hinchcliffe.

Here's the few posts in the thread already about what was discussed. I was fairly surprised that McCall had taken a wage cut.

With regards to Erskine, McCall and Maxy were as confused as to his best position and how to play him as most fans are. :lol:

First question was about Fox. Hinchy was saying he's one of the best he's worked with and is ALWAYS staying behind after training. McCall compared him to keepers he's worked with in the past and said he should be better than Gallacher who he had at Dundee Utd and put him in the top 3 or 4 in the country never mind the division. Next season McCall is hoping to have Fox as first choice with Scully and Shepherd behind him fighting it out for the place on the bench. Hinchliffe would like Scully to go out on loan and play games and it's been frustrating that there's been no reserve games or under 19s games for most of the winter.

Bannigan should be pushing for a start next season, McCall reckons he's one of the best technically gifted players of his age group at the moment and just needs to build himself up a bit. Campbell does have the build already and McCall said he'd have no hesitation in starting him, he did stress he doesn't want to throw any of the youngsters in.

Someone asked him if he regretted not letting Roberts go, he said it was the right move at the time and he's delighted to see him do well at Ayr.

There was hope last week of getting MacBeth out on loan for a month or 2 last week but it never happened but McCall said they are still hopeful he can go somewhere before the end of the season. No mention of where though.

Mentioned offering Scully or Shepherd (if either or both of them are out of contract) new deals but can't remember him mentioning anyone else.

McCall said he had surgery to mesh his groin (?) and it was the same as what Liam had but MacBeth seems to have recovered much quicker.