Meet the Manager

jags365

Anything mentioned regarding our terrible start? Does McCall have any idea why we were so poor and what has caused the drastic improvement (long may it continue!!!)

From what I remember missing Archie was said to be a big part of it (McCall credited his return to the team as the start of the turnaround pointing out we've lost only twice since the end of September). There was also a lot of uncertainty at the club which McCall said found its way into the dressing room and ultimately the performances and resulted in Billy Allan addressing the players after the 2-0 home defeat to Dunfermline which McCall said he normally wouldn't allow.

McCall also pointed to Cowdenbeath away where he said anyone who was at the game would agree it was a game we never should have lost.

1 John Lambie's useful summary confirms what many of us had guessed. The uncertainty over the club's finances must have unsettled both the players and management. The recent contract extensions to 2013 should help stabilise the team and improve confidence and morale.

Did you McCall confirm whether other players had been offered extensions or new deals? It would be very difficult to replace Rowson and Boyle in particular. Hopefully, McGeough, Campbell and Fraser will soon be ready for regular first-team action. Unfortunately, it sounds like McBeth's injury has hampered his progress.

I can see Archie becoming a player-coach to replace McNamara. Jackie will probably look for a more senior managerial/coaching role. Craigan, however, is still playing first-team football for Motherwell. It is hard to believe that we could afford him next season. It would be useful to know what McCall said about the coaching abilities Maxy, Sid and Jackie.

As for Erskine, he appears to be better alongside Doolan in a central position, possibly behind him in a free role.

Edited by kni

Good night & a decent turnout considering the weather, maybe 30/40? Not sure though.

Some interesting snippets, McCall took a 20% wage cut this season, along with the likes of Hinchy, Maxy, Sid etc all taking cuts.

He is currently not sure whether to pursue a striker at the moment, yes he wants one, but deciding whether to keep the money for next season or spend it now. Should we win our next 3/4 games, yes he'll sign a striker. Hardie was mentioned, as a player/coach (possibly replacing Sid/McNamara). I took from it that Archie & Hardie would take that role. If Hardie doesn't come off he's looking at Craigan &/or David Lilley, but all depends on finances.

He liked the look of McHugh, but that now cannot happen due to injury, but there's been contact regarding Gary Glen & Danny Invincible, all down to money though.

He wants to re-sign Paton, Boyle, Archie, Rowson, Hodge. But whether these guys, especially Paton & Boyle will be happy to fit in with the wage budget we'll need to wait & see, as if they get another offer, almost certain it'll be higher than what we're offering.

But by what he said it looks like Robbo will be leaving (however he believes he can still play on for another coupls of seasons).

I'm sure more will come to me as the night goes on, but that's what's came off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, he would stick a fiver on Erskine to get a Scotland call up at 33/1. :thumbsup2:

I hoped to go but was to ill.

I hope some people give him credit for this. Theres been plenty of people saying before that he is obsesses with being Dundee's Manager. It was clear he was on a 3 year contract when he signed in 2009 and no dount could have held the club to honour that contract for his wage but he has been prepared to take a wage cut. Did anyone say anything about the rumours of him replacing Calderwood at Hibs?

I suppose Donnelly/McNamara may want to try their own hand at Management at some point, whatever people may think of their abilities as playrs at the club its been clear they have had a tremendous impact as coaches on the young lads. I hope they stay on but fear they may leave at some point, I hope they dont go to Clyde at least.

Whats the bet we are close to resigning them and then some cheats like Dunfermline/Morton/Dundee nick in and offer them far more money to play with them next season

He said that he thought Jackie would get a job outside of Firhill quite soon.

But he was very optimistic about the youngsters we have. He rates Bannigan very highly and thinks he is the best 18 year old in the country at present and has excellent technical ability. He emphasised again that he is protective of these youngsters as he does not want them to be set back 3 months by having a stinker in a game they have started. That said, it is quite clear that he would have no qualms about playing them if needs be.

Whilst nothing was really detailed about sizes of budget etc, he did tell us that he and David Beattie meet every Monday morning so there is an obvious close relationship between BoD and manager which can only be a good thing.

But as he said, if the MtM night had been after the Cowdenbeath and Stirling games early season the atmosphere would have been so different.

I really enjoyed the night (first one I have ever been to) and will defo go to the next one.

Speaking to Hinchy afterwards, he told me that Tuffey is quite frustrated at Inverness but really did not have much of a choice when it came to the crunch.

McCall also said that should Dungdee sell Harkins we will get 20% of any fee over £120k (he thinks, wasn't sure on the exact figures, but we won't get 20% of any fee, only over about £120k). He also said on Harkins that he believes he won't go on to become the player he would/could have if he had stayed at Thistle & he wishes it was possible to get him back, but could never happen.