Child Friendly Pubs Near Firhill

H Wragg

..are there any?

My mate is taking his boys to the game on Saturday and is looking to know what nearby pubs will let them in pre match.

I'm talking about the ones in the immediate vicinity (excl the Aitken Suite unless it has changed its closing time to nearer kick off), ie. Star and Garter, Munns, Strathmore, Crosslands, Woodside and Royalty.

Edited by H Wragg

What’s wrong with the weans waiting outside for you. If it’s raining just make sure there is a close nearby for them to shelter. And give them a packet o' crisps to share.

My old man must've been richer than I thought. He used to leave me outside the pub with crisps and a coke!

I think you're right but you rarely see kids in there for some reason or other. Imo the Woodside would be best as kids are in there routinely.

For as long as I can remember the lounge is the place for kids there ... that way they're out of the way of the old sods who just want to growl and drink at the bar.

and here's me thinking that in trendy west end speak that a creche was something that could happen to one's laptop or one's LR Discovery.

Definitely not in 'trendy' west end speak - only old folk from the west end speak like that these days (old folk who used to keep their coal in 'sex') .. young trend-setters talk in some kind of amalgum of scots/american/estuary.

(Edited to add:) And with that annoying rising tone at the end of sentences which make them sound like every sentence is a question.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Definitely not in 'trendy' west end speak - only old folk from the west end speak like that these days (old folk who used to keep their coal in 'sex') .. young trend-setters talk in some kind of amalgum of scots/american/estuary.

(Edited to add:) And with that annoying rising tone at the end of sentences which make them sound like every sentence is a question.

Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is estuary speak

My old man must've been richer than I thought. He used to leave me outside the pub with crisps and a coke!

My uncle, who used to take me to the matches, usually took off his watch and gave it to me outside the entrance to the boozer. He told me he'd be back by 2:30. I waited and waited at the door to the pub(s), and if we were lucky we got into Firhill for the last 5 minutes of the 1st half. I'm still not sure why he gave me his watch, as it was a useless thing to do.

And I never got to ask him, as he literally ended up a very young late uncle.

Anyway, he stopped doing it when I turned 30.

I'm pretty sure the Star & Garter lets weans in.

They used to..but the commander of the police division changed around 18-24 months ago..and Michael in the star was told no kids allowed due to no food license or some bawlocks :angry: ..the previous commander had kinda turned a blind eye to it...I had taken the wee man in there for a couple of years previously and it had been fine..last season we frequented the souless thistle bar which is now shut..this season we haven't been in anywhere pre match..people always suggest the aitken suite..but i have been in a couple of times and it is crud !!!