Team For Tomorrow

1 John Lambie

No matter how well we did against Raith playing 3-5-2, we can't play the same system against Cowdenbeath, has to be 4-4-2.

..........................Fox

Paton.....Robertson.....Archibald.....Boyle

Flannigan.....Rowson.....McGowan.....Erskine

................Grehan.....Doolan

Subs:

Scully

Balatoni

McGeough

Campbell

Fraser

Presuming everyone's fit, if Hodge is fit enough he can go on the place of McGeough or Balatoni. Hodge out.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

No matter how well we did against Raith playing 3-5-2, we can't play the same system against Cowdenbeath, has to be 4-4-2.

..........................Fox

Paton.....Robertson.....Archibald.....Boyle

Flannigan.....Rowson.....McGowan.....Erskine

................Grehan.....Doolan

Subs:

Scully

Balatoni

McGeough/Hodge

Campbell

Fraser

Presuming everyone's fit, if Hodge is fit enough he can go on the place of McGeough or Balatoni.

I thought if Fraser did well coming off the bench on Tuesday night he could start today. Think he could still be thrown in.

I thought last week that one of the key issues was the width that we had through Paton and Boyle bombing forward and committing as far as the bye line rather than the 18 yard box, so that means a 3-5-2. However the pitch at Firhill will not hold the ball up the way that the wet grass did last week so maybe there is a case for pumping it in earlier, so long as the Greek is on his game as far as outjumping the centre backs.

Has to be 4-4-2 with 2 wingers against this mob.

Reckon Big Bird and Flannigan could run riot against them. Might also be the type of game to give McGeogh a run out.

Our biggest handicap could be the Firhill pitch. Having said that, I'm really looking forward to the game.

They'll have Bob Malcolm and Colin Cameron in the middle of the park; that isn't too shabby a midfield. They're not the most mobile right enough but they do have the potential to dictate games with their passing. We'll have to press them so I could see why we would continue with the 3-5-2 to outnumber them.

For some reason, we've made really hard work of Cowdenbeath this season, despite looking a pretty average (being nice) team. Credit to Jimmy Nicholl for getting them well organised but we really should be looking at a comfortable victory at Firhill. Was it not for the heroics of Ludo Roy in the first home game, we would probably have won by a bigger margin.

There's no mention on the site, unless I've missed it, that McNamara is out tomorrow. One option could be to play a 3-5-2 but, instead of having Jackie play as a sweeper, have him bring the ball out of defence. Unorthodox, maybe, but would give us the benefits of a 3-5-2 whilst reducing the downside of playing with three centre halves in a home game against a team near the bottom of the league.

There's no mention on the site, unless I've missed it, that McNamara is out tomorrow. One option could be to play a 3-5-2 but, instead of having Jackie play as a sweeper, have him bring the ball out of defence. Unorthodox, maybe, but would give us the benefits of a 3-5-2 whilst reducing the downside of playing with three centre halves in a home game against a team near the bottom of the league.

It's not the value of the 3-5-2 system as such that I question. It's having three central defenders and not one comfortable going forward. Unless it's for a set piece it's unusual to see any of them join in an attack. Over the last few seasons age and pace have had much to do with it. Balatoni might be a decent option in a back three as he's at least shown a bit of enthusiasm to get into an attacking position.

I had thought about playing McNamara or possibly Robertson as an 'attacking sweeper', but we're better playing 4-4-2. They're at the bottom of the league for a reason & having seem them a couple of times this season, they're very ordinary.

Have a go, score early, & it should be an easy win.

Aw naw...

I had thought about playing McNamara or possibly Robertson as an 'attacking sweeper', but we're better playing 4-4-2. They're at the bottom of the league for a reason & having seem them a couple of times this season, they're very ordinary.

There's one statistic I don't like. They've scored more goals than us.

How about they've conceded more than double the amount of goals we have, got 10 less points than us & lost 6 more games than us.

I'm going 4-0 Jags. Attendance around 2200.

I thought they got off lightly with only a 1-0 defeat in the last game at Firhill.

Hoping to see Fraser get a good run out, if not a start as I like the look of him.

Three points tomorrow and we're definitely safe :D

How about they've conceded more than double the amount of goals we have, got 10 less points than us & lost 6 more games than us.

Only one more.

They have scored twelve in three games against Stirling, while we have only scored nine in three league games against Stirling.

If you take Stirling out of the equation, then we have scored two more than them :blink:

Help! I only said there was one statistic I didn't like. If I had had more time or possessed an ounce of journalistic objectivity I'd have listed the other 834 statistics that come out in favour of a Jags win tomorrow. One stat (No521) I feel is particularly pertinent is that in recent years the Jags have a hundred percent league record of home wins against clubs chaired by egotistical, Basil Rathbone impersonating QCs.

I hope the Club learn their lesson after the midweek game against QoS and decide to put the Cowdenbeath fans in section 8 of the JHS.

It will save us money and I reckon their crowd tomorrow will be similar to the QoS crowd the other week. Not big enough to justify opening the away stand.

Team wise - same XI that started last week.

From the BBC so taking this with a pinch of salt

"Cowdenbeath defenders Joe Mbu, John Armstrong, Scott Linton and Bob Malcolm have all been ruled out with injuries.

Dene Droudge and Danny Mackay were already sidelined, while Lee Makel and Colin Cameron face fitness tests. "

However if that's the case then pretty much their entire defence is out injured.

I see Hodge could be out for the rest of the season with a broken metatarsal. I've not been his biggest fan since he arrived but he's picked his game up lately.

Agree, but at least we're fortunate in having a number of left sided players. Often when a left sided midfielder is not available a team loses its balance. With Bryan out an injury or suspension for Boyle would be most unfortunate.

Since Hodge has started to put his body into tackles and thus his defensive side has improved he's been value for money. Apart from his previous poor, often mistimed reckless tackling, his other major fault has been the quality of passing. That's a great pity as he appears to have good vision. Probably being a bit harsh given the state of our pitch but sometimes he's a bit too ambitious with his through balls. In general tho' the guy has improved his consistency no end of late.

Wasn't exactly pleased to hear the rugger chappies were playing at Firhill last night but it's hard to imagine they could've done much more damage to the pitch. :(

I was heading out when the rugby commentry was starting on the radio, but the commentator said the pitch hardly had a blade of grass on it and he felt sorry for Thistle who had to try and play football on it today. Im sure the blade count was an exageration (I actually thought the pitch looked improved against QOS, but wondered what difference seeing it under floodlights was making) but having the rugby on it the night before a game isn't ideal. I had a quick look throught the Warriors fixtures - am I right in thinking they only have one more 'home' game this season?

Anyway, the pitch was in a shocking state vs Stirling and when the weather kicked off i really though we'd be in for a shocking game of football. I wasn't expecting the shock to be quite as pleasant!

Anyway - it's Saturday, the Sun is shining and Thistle are at home. Lets all get out there and support the team today, and hope we get the three points.

Same team to start that started against Raith if they are all fit. Have really started warming to Grehan - hope a run in the team can increase his confidence and let him play the way he undoubtable can.

Edited by MerryHell

Warriors have 2 home games leftFriday 25th March v Ulster (we're away to Dunfermline the following day)Friday 22nd April v Scarlets (home to Morton the following day)

Cool - maybe I was looking for 'home' games where we also had a home game the next day. Still, two more 'home' games for them should hopefully not affect our pitch too badly.

Edited by MerryHell

• Scott Fox
  • Paul Paton
  • Paddy Boyle
  • Jackie McNamara
  • John Robertson
  • Alan Archibald
  • Ryan McGowan
  • David Rowson
  • Kris Doolan
  • Martin Grehan
  • Chris Erskine

Subs

Ryan Scully

Iain Flannigan

Shaun Fraser

Conrad Balatoni

Jamie Campbell

So it looks like the dreaded 3-5-2 again. :(

If Hodge is out for the season and we lose McGowan, Bannigan will need to be recalled from Ayr.