When Optimism Went...

Jaggernaut

New manager, we're safe in the league, a chance for a fresh approach,.....

Kick-off: ball touched to one player, back it goes to midfield, and out goes the ball for a shy to the opposition.

Aw fur f*ck sake; what is it with "managers" in this country?

:no:

Then in the programme is an article about Willie Sharp's record-breaking goal. From kick off he belts forward and receives a low pass right through the middle of the opposition's defence. Goal!

It's not rocket surgery, is it?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Kick-off: ball touched to one player, back it goes to midfield, and out goes the ball for a shy to the opposition.

Then in the programme is an article about Willie Sharp's record-breaking goal. From kick off he belts forward and receives a low pass right through the middle of the opposition's defence. Goal!

I thought that kick off routine was mandatory, I don't think I have seen a different one regardless of who the manager was!

wonder what the pitch was like the day willie did that? We have played some really good football at times this season and i'm sure Jackie will have team playing good stuff before season's end. It just might be away from firhill.

wonder what the pitch was like the day willie did that? We have played some really good football at times this season and i'm sure Jackie will have team playing good stuff before season's end. It just might be away from firhill.

Let's hope so. Tuesday evening would be the perfect occasion to start.

I'd love to see JM doing well, and I'm sure he will take us in the right direction. Got a warm feeling about his (temporary) appointment. I just hope he isn't judged though until he's had the benefit of two or three games on the trot with eleven or twelve fit players to choose from.

Too late in with the post, B J. Evidently Mr McNamara was a bit too static yesterday to ever be a good manager.

Too late in with the post, B J. Evidently Mr McNamara was a bit too static yesterday to ever be a good manager.

Drat, I knew I was being over generous in allowing him an unfeasibly long period to prove himself. After all, he had the benefit of nearly two whole clear days to stamp his mark on Firhill. Simply not good enough, Jackie. :D

[quote name=

CHRIST!!!!!.,that rips ma knittin,every feckin game start off with the ball inj our possesion and then punt it out or straight to the opposition.There is no difference in giving the ball away at the start off a game or in the middle or at the end.Only ever seen it work once when under Bertie we used to hit it out to Bobby Houston to cross it for Somner.Still waiting 35 years later for us to score from it again.

CHRIST!!!!!.,that rips ma knittin,every feckin game start off with the ball inj our possesion and then punt it out or straight to the opposition.There is no difference in giving the ball away at the start off a game or in the middle or at the end.Only ever seen it work once when under Bertie we used to hit it out to Bobby Houston to cross it for Somner.Still waiting 35 years later for us to score from it again.

Same here. I've said this before, but when Hibs had yon black guy Harper who was really fast, from every kick-off he just used to make a bee-line toward the goal and they'd thread a fast ball through to him. I don't know how successful it was in terms of bringing them a goal while the opposition were dozy, but whenever they did it against us I feared the worst (though it didn't come, thankfully).

haha, Jaggernaut your description of the kick off reminds me of a time when I was at Firhill with my Dad, Uncle and a few of their mates. Unknown to me there was a competition to see who would be the first out of us to exclaim "aw fur fuxache" (or similar words of exasperation). Thistle kicked off, ball was swept towards Andy Lyons charging down the left-wing and ended up going straight into the main stand. Yours truly unwittingly gives the afforementioned exclaimation...3 seconds in. I still hold the record and that was about 17 years ago. Who says Thistle have changed? :blush: