Census

Charlie Endell

Now had my second reminder - ignored the one in 2001 but they do seem to be making more of an effort this time.

What a huge waste of public funds! Even the present (UK) government admits it's a waste of time but the ball was set rolling by Labour (which it explains why it's so intrusive) and it was too late to re-draft / bin.

If ever a Stasi-type organisation is set up in Scotland I'd imagine census enumerators would be the first to apply.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Now had my second reminder - ignored the one in 2001 but they do seem to be making more of an effort this time.

What a huge waste of public funds! Even the present (UK) government admits it's a waste of time but the ball was set rolling by Labour (which it explains why it's so intrusive) and it was too late to re-draft / bin.

If ever a Stasi-type organisation is set up in Scotland I'd imagine census enumerators would be the first to apply.

get over yourself and fill the bloody thing in :rolleyes:

OK Charlie, You've proved yourself to be a Big man. How about growing up and convert into a Sensible man?

OK Charlie, You've proved yourself to be a Big man. How about growing up and convert into a Sensible man?

... and stick all those details down that'll get instantly fed from Lockheed Martin straight to the fkin never been bombed Pentagon super computer - they can get right tae where I'm concerned and aw :thumbsup2:

How do you know there hasn't been? :ph34r:

I must admit that I don't understand the animosity towards the census or those getting some employment to deliver and collect the forms. The form is hardly difficult to complete, and there's nothing especially intrusive that's being asked. You get almost as much hassle these days if you try to open a new bank account.

I actually think that there should have been a quite different set of questions for helping to take a snapshot of what society was like right now, but for some reason I was overlooked as a consultant when the form was being designed.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I must admit that I don't understand the animosity towards the census or those getting some employment to deliver and collect the forms. The form is hardly difficult to complete, and there's nothing especially intrusive that's being asked.

The governments choice of contractor seemed to get a lot of people's backs up.

Fill it in - if only because it helps plan local public services. However, make sure you cut into Lockheid's profit's by making sure a person not a computer has to go through it. Writing outside the box, having arrows going all over the place, deleting bit, drawing diagrams and amusing little pictures, even just sticking it in the envelope back to front will all ensure Lockheid get paid less than they thought.

Don't do it, get fined a grand and feel a bit stoopid.

The governments choice of contractor seemed to get a lot of people's backs up.

Ah, that old argument. If our backs went up because we objected to some company on ethical or political grounds we'd probably never eat, wear clothes, drive cars, use computers or mobile phones, to name a few activities that we all engage in rather more frequently than filling out a simple once-in-a-decade census form.

Fill it in - if only because it helps plan local public services. However, make sure you cut into Lockheid's profit's by making sure a person not a computer has to go through it. Writing outside the box, having arrows going all over the place, deleting bit, drawing diagrams and amusing little pictures, even just sticking it in the envelope back to front will all ensure Lockheid get paid less than they thought.

Exactly what I did for the same reasons. :D

Don't do it, get fined a grand and feel a bit stoopid.

:D

Now that's what I'd call thinking outside the box!

I only filled it in because I'm a student and I'd rather not be made even more impecunious by a £1000 fine.

My (ir)religion is none of the government's business. My marital status is none of their business. My ethnicity is none of their business. Arguably it's not even any of their business what my name is, when I was born and where.

The "it helps them plan local services" stuff is a load of shite though. The state already has this information and it's a damned sight more up to date than a once a decade census. They have the information about anyone in a house because of a combination of council tax and the electoral roll. They already have your information if you are of working age attributed to your National Insurance number. HMRC and DWP already have a hell of a lot more information about you if you are claiming any sort of tax relief or benefit. The local registrar has all the details on your birth certificate and any marriage or civil partnership documentation.

The census is a completely unnecessary intrusion into the lives of people living in this country, adding an unnecessary expense to the tax bill, and should be scrapped.

I only filled it in because I'm a student and I'd rather not be made even more impecunious by a £1000 fine.

My (ir)religion is none of the government's business. My marital status is none of their business. My ethnicity is none of their business. Arguably it's not even any of their business what my name is, when I was born and where.

The "it helps them plan local services" stuff is a load of shite though. The state already has this information and it's a damned sight more up to date than a once a decade census. They have the information about anyone in a house because of a combination of council tax and the electoral roll. They already have your information if you are of working age attributed to your National Insurance number. HMRC and DWP already have a hell of a lot more information about you if you are claiming any sort of tax relief or benefit. The local registrar has all the details on your birth certificate and any marriage or civil partnership documentation.

The census is a completely unnecessary intrusion into the lives of people living in this country, adding an unnecessary expense to the tax bill, and should be scrapped.

All good points.

But the government needs to know precisely who has their main bog outside the main hoose, and how many Jedi are invading the country.

If these were enough my family wouldn't be receiving election leaflets addressed to Mr and Mrs Edward and Becky Mason (my dad and my younger sister). :o