Tourist Features In Glasgow/Scotland?

Waka

Right, I'm planning to go on vacation in Scotland in September/October. I also plan to visit Glasgow again. But I need some tips on what places I should visit (apart from Firhill of course ;) ).

On my last vacation I was at the Barras, Provand's Lordship, Necropolis, Glasgow Cathedral and People's Palace.

Of course I already have some ideas on my mind like the Museum of Transport and the Glasgow Sience Center, but I could use some more tips like what attraction I should visit. I could also use some recommendations of some good but not-so-expensive restaurants. Does "The Gate/Secret Garden" still exist (I think it was located at Argyle Street)?

And while I'm at it... I also plan to visit Inverness. Anybody here has some useful recommendations as to what to visit there (apart from Urquhart Castle)?

Thanks in advance. :)

Right, I'm planning to go on vacation in Scotland in September/October. I also plan to visit Glasgow again. But I need some tips on what places I should visit (apart from Firhill of course ;) ).

On my last vacation I was at the Barras, Provand's Lordship, Necropolis, Glasgow Cathedral and People's Palace.

Of course I already have some ideas on my mind like the Museum of Transport and the Glasgow Sience Center, but I could use some more tips like what attraction I should visit. I could also use some recommendations of some good but not-so-expensive restaurants. Does "The Gate/Secret Garden" still exist (I think it was located at Argyle Street)?

And while I'm at it... I also plan to visit Inverness. Anybody here has some useful recommendations as to what to visit there (apart from Urquhart Castle)?

Return train ticket to Mallaig, stopping off along the way :thumbsup2:

And I'd not bother with Inverness, its nothing special. Much better to go wandering up the west coast (plenty trains and coaches).

And I'd not bother with Inverness, its nothing special.

But my girlfriend wants to see Nessie, so we have to go near Inverness anyway. But as we plan to spend some more vacations in the future in Scotland your tips are welcome as well. :)

Only recently became a Brazilian bar/tapas place. The pub next door, Maggie Mays, is reasonable for food as I remember, though not eaten there in a while. Theres plenty choice in that area for eating/drinking.

think the transport museum closed a few weeks back, to allow them time to transfer the exhibits to the new transport museum, which opens in a year or possibly two.

obv, there's the kelvingrove art gallery and museum, which can be followed with an afternoon of drinking cheap alcohol on cider hill in the park and rounded off with a game of crazy bowls on the rinks near the gallery.

the hunterian at the yooni is class and the botanics is always a delight to visit.

burrell collection, pollok house and pollok park is a top day out. they have a collection of hairy cattle in a field just for the towrists.

providing you can get to balmaha, the mail boat is a superb way to see loch lomond without encountering the towrist tat. it's only five english pounds, a lot less than the crowded towrist boats that leave from balloch.

if you go to inverness, you can always visit tescos, which is between tescos and er.... tescos.

Fort George is worth a visit just to the East of Inverness, it's quite close to the airport I think. There's always the option of a boat trip down the Caledonian Canal towards Fort William as well, which would take you straight down the middle of Loch Ness.

You don’t say what your transport will be. But by far the best way to see Scotland is by hiring a car, not hugely expensive September/October, and get yourself a tourist map with all the places of interest high-lighted. Head north, for me it would be up the west coast, and call in at the tourist information offices on the way. Where you can book your accommodation for each day ahead.

If relying on public transport you could be spending a great deal of time studying timetables and waiting for connections. Though, which, if you are in that frame of mind, can be enjoyable and relaxing.

Good luck, I wish it was me.

• 2 weeks later...

Its well worth arranging to stay a night in Ullapool if your up that way...

Ullapool seems nice, I'll see if I can get there.

think the transport museum closed a few weeks back, to allow them time to transfer the exhibits to the new transport museum, which opens in a year or possibly two.

Yes, their website states it is closed now. What a pity. Ah well, there are other things to see in Glasgow. :)

If your going to Inverness jump off the train at Stirling, you can visit the Bannockburn Heritage Centre, The Wallace Monument, Stirling Castle & Stirling Bridge. :thumbsup2:

I've been to Stirling Castle already. =P

Also, time is too short. We planned to hop off the train every now and then on our way to Inverness, but sadly we only have a few days. So it's only Glasgow and Inverness this time.

You don’t say what your transport will be.

Only public transport. I don't have a drivers license and my gf isn't used to left-hand driving and she just doesn't want to rent a car.

But Transport Direct is a good site to find out when busses/trains take off. :)

I've got a monster I can show your girlfriend.

Crass, vulgar and completely inappropriate. Post of the month :lol:

Agreed, it's the post of the month. :lol:

@all the others who gave tips but I haven't replied to: I read all your posts and I'll sure have a closer look at them and I'll see if I can include those into our current plans. Thanks a lot!

I'd certainly recommend to any tourist going up the west coast for the scenery. Invest in midge nets, though: the black ones are the easiest to see through, and at this time of year you'll need them. (They're like beekeepers' nets, going over your whole head.)

My tip? Visit the Applecross Inn for the best pub food in Scotland (multiple winner of that title for the UK). If your time or distance are limited, Mull is a beautiful island and is just a short ferry crossing from Oban.

Further north, the mountains and scenery in Assynt are spectacular, and it's often windy enough to keep the midges at bay. (Are you beginning to spot a motif here?)

On your way north from Glasgow, Fort William is a good option for stopping and shopping. Frankly, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Inverness. However, if you really must go there it does have a remarkably good Chinese restaurant in Union Street.

Use bed & breakfast - it's a better way of seeing what life is like in rural areas, and it's not so steeply priced as hotels and guest houses. If you do make it to the Western Isles, never, ever consider staying in Stornoway (unless you have friends to stay with, of course). There are too many reasons for that, but space only permits one: you'll be charged the earth for the worst accommodation you have ever seen provided commercially.

Of course, if you're really into culture and want a taste of Gaelic, then, er, Glasgow's the place to be. :lol:

@all the others who gave tips but I haven't replied to: I read all your posts and I'll sure have a closer look at them and I'll see if I can include those into our current plans. Thanks a lot!

May I suggest you visit Aberfoyle and take your girlfriend up the Duke's Pass? Very, very nice this time of year.

Edited by McKennan

I'd certainly recommend to any tourist going up the west coast for the scenery. Invest in midge nets, though: the black ones are the easiest to see through, and at this time of year you'll need them. (They're like beekeepers' nets, going over your whole head.)

My tip? Visit the Applecross Inn for the best pub food in Scotland (multiple winner of that title for the UK). If your time or distance are limited, Mull is a beautiful island and is just a short ferry crossing from Oban.

Further north, the mountains and scenery in Assynt are spectacular, and it's often windy enough to keep the midges at bay. (Are you beginning to spot a motif here?)

On your way north from Glasgow, Fort William is a good option for stopping and shopping. Frankly, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Inverness. However, if you really must go there it does have a remarkably good Chinese restaurant in Union Street.

Use bed & breakfast - it's a better way of seeing what life is like in rural areas, and it's not so steeply priced as hotels and guest houses. If you do make it to the Western Isles, never, ever consider staying in Stornoway (unless you have friends to stay with, of course). There are too many reasons for that, but space only permits one: you'll be charged the earth for the worst accommodation you have ever seen provided commercially.

Of course, if you're really into culture and want a taste of Gaelic, then, er, Glasgow's the place to be. :lol:

You're recommending Fort William over Inverness ? :blink:

Edited by Collins Out!

• 1 month later...

Hooray, the flights are booked! We arrive on September 20th in Inverness, and on September 24th we travel to Glasgow. And on the 25th, we can watch Partick Thistle vs Dunfermline Athletics. :D

you better watch out - Sky HD1 might want to screen this match live on the sunday afternoon so the planned saturday 25th kick off might very well be bumped at short notice! :blink: