Erskine On Trial At Motherwell

northernsoul

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have five penalties in the 08/09 season. In any case, 50% doesn't equate to "most".

i said at most 50% (by my numbers) so yes it does

my point is that without the pens his stats dont look that good and as much as i like to remember him passing three players and setting up a goal i remember more running past 4 losing the ball and standing in a huf as the other team score.

yes he had skill yes he was nice to watch but he liked to show off rather than win the game

Edited by jaggybunnet

I have five penalties in the 08/09 season. In any case, 50% doesn't equate to "most".

You're fighting a losing battle mate. In my opinion, he was the best player we've had at the club for years, but there are Jags fans who will spend all day looking for reasons to say he was sh*te/inconsistent/lazy etc etc.

This latest comparison with Erskine is ridiculous.

You're fighting a losing battle mate. In my opinion, he was the best player we've had at the club for years, but there are Jags fans who will spend all day looking for reasons to say he was sh*te/inconsistent/lazy etc etc.

This latest comparison with Erskine is ridiculous.

i havent said he was, i just dont think he was that great.

in comparison i would rather watch chris any day

i havent said he was,

Well, you did. You referred to him as a "lazy player" in one of your first posts on the subject. I'd also contest that he didn't create as much as Erskine does, but I can't find the stats to back up that argument. He did, however, create one of the finest goals I've seen us score; Scottish Cup, Ibrox, takes out two Rangers players with his first touch, two with the subsequent run and plays a beautiful dummied pass and we all know what followed that...

But, then, he wasn't that great...

Well, you did. You referred to him as a "lazy player" in one of your first posts on the subject. I'd also contest that he didn't create as much as Erskine does, but I can't find the stats to back up that argument. He did, however, create one of the finest goals I've seen us score; Scottish Cup, Ibrox, takes out two Rangers players with his first touch, two with the subsequent run and plays a beautiful dummied pass and we all know what followed that...

Very very difficult to disagree with that, IMO. That has to rank as one of the classiest 'assists' in my memory as a Jag.

I think it's fair to say that the styles of Chris and Gary are completely different.

Was very sad to see Gary go and he certainly did give us a hiding or two as a dundee player. The money was a requirement at the time and I feel Gary did contribute a great deal to us during his short stay.

Chris is,in my view, one of the most exciting players playing in the first division. He's still got a lot to learn but he gets a lot of us excited when he gets the ball and he can do things with a ball at his feet that very few in the division can do.

Certainly glad that at this stage, Chris will be lining up in a jags shirt for coming season, rather than against us.

Think we forget that Erskine and Dools came from the juniors and have came a long way in a short space of time. I'm sure there is a lot more to come from both and both will key men for us in the season ahead.

We could not afford Harkins wages. Why hate Harkins who got us a decent transfer fee and may saved us from administration? Narrow minded nonsense like that puts me off forums.

FFS kni,i was only asking a simple question.anyway,maybe hate was to strong a word.i dislike harkins very much because he left my team for bigger and better things,which i disagreed with and also for his hand gestures which have been well documented already on this topic.

However,from what i have seen of him in a thistle shirt,and what i have seen of erskine,i still say GH is/was a better player.

Only an opinion mind.

he was, you must have a short memory if you cant remember him losing the ball and not bothering to track back.

again i never said he was s**t

I still love Glorious Gary Harkins, the assist at Ibrox and his goal away at St Johnstone were two of the best moments in recent years, when there haven't been too many. I think he's in a league above Erskine (not just literally), I would trade Erskine for Harkins back in a heartbeat. I like Erskine also, and hope we can keep hold of him, but he's nowhere near as good as GGH.

I don't really care about the gesture he made either, some people make far too much of these things, it's not like he jumped into the crowd and karate kicked the Thistle supporters. At subsequent games at Firhill he got a decent reception from the Thistle fans, rightly so given his contribution, and acknowledged it. Finally, anyone who holds his move to Dundee against him is, frankly, living on a different planet.

I still love Glorious Gary Harkins, the assist at Ibrox and his goal away at St Johnstone were two of the best moments in recent years, when there haven't been too many. I think he's in a league above Erskine (not just literally), I would trade Erskine for Harkins back in a heartbeat. I like Erskine also, and hope we can keep hold of him, but he's nowhere near as good as GGH.

I don't really care about the gesture he made either, some people make far too much of these things, it's not like he jumped into the crowd and karate kicked the Thistle supporters. At subsequent games at Firhill he got a decent reception from the Thistle fans, rightly so given his contribution, and acknowledged it. Finally, anyone who holds his move to Dundee against him is, frankly, living on a different planet.

Totally agree, It's not as if Harkins was wanting to leave - the club sold him

Unlike other players who have signed preseason contracts months before there contracts were up

Edited by Paddy Thistle

Gary Harkins didn't want to leave Thistle and McCall wanted to keep him. But ultimately we couldn't give him the wages he deserved and we needed the money from a transfer fee to help balance the books. Dundee we splashing cash about left right and centre that summer and we benefited from it. I still love Gary Harkins, he was brilliant, what he did at Ibrox was breathtaking, on a regular basis he would control games and stroll around clearly a level or ten above the opposition...but let's not forget he was lazy at tracking back and every 4th or 5th game he would be anonymous. Notwithstanding that he was brilliant and great to watch, we would be a far better team if was still with us. His gesture at Dens Park was meritted to be honest, he got a hell of a lot of stick that day, from myself included, despite me telling myself beforehand I wouldn't get involved. Shows he cares - PASHUN!

As for Erskine, he might not yet be as technically gifted as Harkins but when he gets the ball in a bit of space I get more excited than I would when Harkins received a pass. When The Bridge gets the ball and has room to turn you can feel the excitement in the crowd, everyone is expecting him to do something brilliant and very often he does. His mazey runs are what football is all about, so what if he 1 time out of 3 his run comes off, another time he plays a simple pass instead of skinning someone and the other he gets tackled, runs the ball out of play, miscontrols a turn, etc. I go and watch Arsenal and Cardiff games a few times a season, when Erskine gets the ball it's the same kind of buzz about the ground as when Nasri or Bellamy has the ball at their feet and has room to turn.

I love Chris Erskine.

I simply cannot see why anyone would have a go at him or not see what myself and the majority of the crowd see. If everything he tried came off he would be at Barcelona not Thistle. I don't want a team of 11 steady Eddies, flare, excitement, skill and pashun - it's what football is all about. We have plenty of other solid but unspectacular players, Erskine is the perfect fit for exciting attacking football.

Gary Harkins didn't want to leave Thistle and McCall wanted to keep him. But ultimately we couldn't give him the wages he deserved and we needed the money from a transfer fee to help balance the books. Dundee we splashing cash about left right and centre that summer and we benefited from it. I still love Gary Harkins, he was brilliant, what he did at Ibrox was breathtaking, on a regular basis he would control games and stroll around clearly a level or ten above the opposition...but let's not forget he was lazy at tracking back and every 4th or 5th game he would be anonymous. Notwithstanding that he was brilliant and great to watch, we would be a far better team if was still with us. His gesture at Dens Park was meritted to be honest, he got a hell of a lot of stick that day, from myself included, despite me telling myself beforehand I wouldn't get involved. Shows he cares - PASHUN!

As for Erskine, he might not yet be as technically gifted as Harkins but when he gets the ball in a bit of space I get more excited than I would when Harkins received a pass. When The Bridge gets the ball and has room to turn you can feel the excitement in the crowd, everyone is expecting him to do something brilliant and very often he does. His mazey runs are what football is all about, so what if he 1 time out of 3 his run comes off, another time he plays a simple pass instead of skinning someone and the other he gets tackled, runs the ball out of play, miscontrols a turn, etc. I go and watch Arsenal and Cardiff games a few times a season, when Erskine gets the ball it's the same kind of buzz about the ground as when Nasri or Bellamy has the ball at their feet and has room to turn.

I love Chris Erskine.

I simply cannot see why anyone would have a go at him or not see what myself and the majority of the crowd see. If everything he tried came off he would be at Barcelona not Thistle. I don't want a team of 11 steady Eddies, flare, excitement, skill and pashun - it's what football is all about. We have plenty of other solid but unspectacular players, Erskine is the perfect fit for exciting attacking football.

That's a pretty good description of Erskine.

:thumbsup2: