Just In

Ooh it is going to be a long season.

Nice day though

If this was our first "real" game of the season we are doomed!!!

First half ok considering that it was our first 45mins this season, if we had kept them on for the second half might have been different :thinking:

Second half, well i know Jackie said he was going to use the youngsters, but it just didnt work, the Blyth team had 9 new starts/trialist on their team, we were made to look poor, the woodwork really saved the blushes even more,

Hey ho, its early days!!

If this was our first "real" game of the season we are doomed!!!

First half ok considering that it was our first 45mins this season, if we had kept them on for the second half might have been different :thinking:

Second half, well i know Jackie said he was going to use the youngsters, but it just didnt work, the Blyth team had 9 new starts/trialist on their team, we were made to look poor, the woodwork really saved the blushes even more,

Hey ho, its early days!!

I think when you make 9 subs at halftime you are basically saying that you are not bothered about the result and it is an exercise in match fitness, the second half team did look very young.

Anyway, taking that in to account how did Lindsay perform along with the trialists as these are the unknowns within the squad at the moment?

our main objective isn’t getting the victory but to try and get everyone a run out tomorrow. We are going to mix things up as much as possible and try where possible to give everyone 45 minutes of action.”

Kieran Burns, one of no fewer than 9 half-time substitutes

Reads like we're bang on track to me :rolleyes:

Edited by Hot Shot

I remember Gerry Collin's first few games as manager during pre-season. French flair up the right in Bonnes and Anis. Martin Hardie's replacement in Stuart Taylor, then Andy Thomson and James Grady banging in goals up front. We flew through pre-season and Europe beckoned.

Can't remember what happened after. Must've blocked it out!! :lol:

Edited by Trotter

:)

It's always nice to get a win but you can't take anything from this.

Another factor could possibly Blyth have been training for more than a week.

Anybody want to give an opinion on the new boy and trialists?

I think after todays game, its very hard to say, a lot of enthusiasm and running around, i dont think the 2nd 45mins is enough to make any judgements yet, but thats just me, other people may have other ideas, maybe after another couple of games it would be easier to make judgements, it really was just a game for Jackie to try things out, patience is required!! :)

It's always nice to get a win but you can't take anything from this.

Another factor could possibly Blyth have been training for more than a week.

Anybody want to give an opinion on the new boy and trialists?

Not impressed with the No3 & No7 didn't get stuck in enough, for me. Scully needs more games if he is understudy to Fox. Campbell at right back had me worried, when is Paton back?

Just to add, it was great seeing so much red n yellow give me summer footy anyday.

Edited by Bryza

Good day out. I'm absolutely smashed and the result, well who cares? If we struggle in the real games I'll question the manager. The O'Neils boozer in Newcastle was tremendous until the ****** behind the bar started moaning.

I know it sounds like Mr Pot meet Mr Kettle but the pitch was deplorable. Grass was longer than you'd get for a rugby match and extremely sandy. I'm not sure which No 3 Bryza is talking about but Sinclair played in the first 45 minutes and he was the only player I thought impressed. Don't think the lad was taxed defensively so we'd need to see him up against it a bit more. Sinclair looks strong and he appears to have exceptional pace for a full back.

The second half was a bit surreal. I'm not that certain but Ian Cameron Jnr might have been the oldest Jags player on the park. Ryan MacBeth going to right back for the last quarter of the game to give Campbell a run in midfield just added to the surrealism.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

A great day out marred only by a car crash of a match. Could've been 4 or more for them. Only oooh moment for us when we hit the post late in the second half.

We deserved nothing from the game and weren't disappointed in that respect. 80% of jags fans pished which was good to see; singing in the social club was tremendous and their people were impressed. Should mention at this point that the 3 or 4 renditions of Hello Hello were sung with pride and at great volume; anybody who thinks there's a lyrics change around the corner should avail themselves of counselling PDQ.

I have no option but to mention the enormous fish that I was served up in the wee chippy just outside the ground after the game. I reckon it was a great white shark with a weight problem. :)

A great day out marred only by a car crash of a match. Could've been 4 or more for them. Only oooh moment for us when we hit the post late in the second half.

We deserved nothing from the game and weren't disappointed in that respect. 80% of jags fans pished which was good to see; singing in the social club was tremendous and their people were impressed. Should mention at this point that the 3 or 4 renditions of Hello Hello were sung with pride and at great volume; anybody who thinks there's a lyrics change around the corner should avail themselves of counselling PDQ.

I have no option but to mention the enormous fish that I was served up in the wee chippy just outside the ground after the game. I reckon it was a great white shark with a weight problem. :)

I think I can safely say I was in the 80% - great day out, poor result but very early doors fixture so no point in reading anything into it. As for Blyth, a very welcoming club and wish them well for the upcoming season.

Lets see how we shape up against the Celtic xi in a couple of weeks. Which reminds me, a nice arrival in Newcastle seeing a couple of Celtic fans, who were subjected to some ribbing.

After match rection up on OS site now.

One good thing is that although he mentions the large number of changes we made the manager doesn't use it as an excuse. In fact he says he saw some things he was angry at and no doubt that will be brought up in training.

I'm glad that's the attitude - in one way the fixture was meaningless, except as a build-up for match fitness, but you don't want slopiness or the "losing habit" to get a chance to grow.

Oh and Rowson and Doolan were missing because of minor injuries before the game (Rowson's toenail had come off and Doolan tripped over it - or something like that I think?)

Blyth took full advantage of the inexperienced defence that Jackie fielded in the second half - Campbell (19), Brennan (18 or 19), Lochhead (18), Lindsay(18).

There was no real cover for Paul Paton as Campbell is a midfielder. We only have youngsters, with little or no first-team experience, to cover for Kinniburgh and Archibald. Our only signed left-back is a former St Johnstone reserve. It looks he will be competing for a place with a teenager from Montrose and/or a former Celtic reserve.

It is clear that we need some experienced defensive cover as we will get stuffed if Kinniburgh or Archie are out through suspension or injury.

Edited by kni

Blyth took full advantage of the inexperienced defence that Jackie fielded in the second half - Campbell (19), Brennan (18 or 19), Lochhead (18), Lindsay(18).

There was no real cover for Paul Paton as Campbell is a midfielder. We only have youngsters, with little or no first-team experience, to cover for Kinniburgh and Archibald. Our only signed left-back is a former St Johnstone reserve. It looks he will be competing for a place with a teenager from Montrose and/or a former Celtic reserve.

It is clear that we need some experienced defensive cover as we will get stuffed if Kinniburgh or Archie are out through suspension or injury.

But it does look like we're not going to get any experienced cover. Balatoni is on the radar for another loan spell but he's relatively young as well and would be untried at right back if called upon. On face value Robbo would have provided that cover but we couldn't afford to commit to a deal for him.

We've just got to face up to fact that we're chancing Paton will play most of the season and that one of the left backs comes with first team ready tag.

Great day out despite the best efforts of the world's most over-zealous barman in O'Neil's. The Blyth fans couldn't have been more welcoming to us. I certainly wouldn't mind playing them every year.

Anyone who actually cares cares about the result or performance needs their head looked at. Pre-season games mean NOTHING.

Great day out despite the best efforts of the world's most over-zealous barman in O'Neil's. The Blyth fans couldn't have been more welcoming to us. I certainly wouldn't mind playing them every year.

Anyone who actually cares cares about the result or performance needs their head looked at. Pre-season games mean NOTHING.

Agreed. Nice place to go and nice people there. They apparently share the sentiment of playing us on a regular basis, in fact according to a chant of theirs after the full time whistle, they were enquiring about the possibility of playing us every week.