The Irony..

Vom Itorium

How ironic that the body set-up to tackle Scotland's Shame has been christened JAG...

Tackling Scotland's Shame

I was watching the sport bit on bbc news and it was just embarassing to be honest, the rangers and celtic representatives had to go up and sign a document agreeing to the action they are going to take. that wont stop these knuckle dragging old firm fans singing these sectarian songs im afraid!

Aye - I get really pissed off when they describe it as "Scotland's shame" or "bringing Scottish football into disrepute"...

It's all down to the Old Firm and the blame should be continually placed directly at their door.

The rest of the game has no need of this, probably ineffective, initiative.

Edited by Rid Skwerr

The best one can hope for with initiatives such as this, is that it will at least set the mood music for what is and what is not acceptable behaviour at a football ground or in fact any public place.

In practise if it isn't enforced by the police and the clubs, then it will be just mere platitude and window dressing.

I await with interest the dawning of a new tolerant atmosphere at(totally of the top of my head!) Hunbrox. Maybe, we'll not be treated to renditions of such old "traditional" favourites favourites as "Derry's Walls" or the "Sash", but quite frankly I will not hold my breath.

An immediate ban on marches through the streets by Orange or Hibs bands and a serious look at the segregation of schools into Catholic and Non-denominational would be a start. While that sort of 'cultural stuff' countinues in Scotland bigotry will never stop.

Blaming the OF is one way to go, but not in itself the only thing that should be done. Bigotry is so deeply ingrained in our society that it'll take more than a wee football initiative to sort it out.

As with any "new" policing force they'll have to find ways of justifying their existence. That wouldn't be so bad if they would get tore into the serial offenders but as we all know there's safety in numbers. In fact having this designated polis could take the onus off the ugly sisters. They could argue how can they stop the bigoted singing etc when a special police force won't.

I can see some unfortunate American artiste getting huckled at his Celtic Connections gig for signing some obscure Irish "rebel" song long before I can see mass arrests at Ibrox or Parkhead.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

An immediate ban on marches through the streets by Orange or Hibs bands and a serious look at the segregation of schools into Catholic and Non-denominational would be a start. While that sort of 'cultural stuff' countinues in Scotland bigotry will never stop.

Blaming the OF is one way to go, but not in itself the only thing that should be done. Bigotry is so deeply ingrained in our society that it'll take more than a wee football initiative to sort it out.

Spot on, Steven.

In addition, the worst of the OF fans have little independent thought and are simply sheep (in animal terms not Aberdeen fans, although the line is not that clear there...) Follow everyone else in buying the usual Celtic/Rep. Ireland or Rangers/Chelsea gear. It gives some sad people a sense of purpose in life and the fact that it is "a bit naughty" adds to it. I beleive that these guys do gain a lot of social acceptance from others and somehow gain through it. Without the whole OF hype and common cause, huge numbers of these guys would be lost. That would be a shame...