Celtic Fans

scotty

Did anyone notice what the breakdown was of the Celtic support yesterday?

Were there many adults in the away support who weren't wearing Celtic colours but were taking their celtic supporting kids to a game?

One of my neighbours was planning to take his boys along and was surprised how cheap it was going to be. He would never go to Parkhead but may be persuaded to go back to Firhill, especially as the boys will get in for free.

Would it have been worth-while offering kids for free yesterday? Some of those young supporters may have been persuaded of the error of their ways and gone on to support a team they can be part of and then brought their dads along too.

I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't got a few who would consider heading along to Firhill now for a cheaper day of football after that. I hope we were blasting the 'Kids Go Free' thing within the away stand and it should have been announced over the tannoy before and after the game as well. I know one guy who brought his kids along and was commenting on the family-friendliness of Firhill and was even more taken in when I told him that kids went free to all league games.

We really do have to push and push this thing in and around Glasgow. OF fans are switching off in their droves due to the cost of the game. The club should be getting a PDF poster on the site well in advance of our home games and we the fans should then be doing our bit to help get the message out there in local schools, cafes, newsagents, wherever.

Agree totally with both posts; although I think breaking tribal loyalties might be hard: once a *** or *** always a *** or ***; but perhaps that's just me showing my own personal prejudicies that are based on 50+ years of life in the W of Scotland. But you're right, we should be trying and trying to get as many bums on seats at Firhill.

Would also be nice to build the vocal part of the support. I'm typing away here and my throat is still pretty sore after yesterday's friendly. We need atmosphere at games and, hate to say it, the visit of plastic pro-establishment republicans did bring a bit yesterday.

Maybe the club could look into some billboard advertising for the kids go free scheme? Sounds costly but they could maybe go for a joint venture with macb or greaves?

However, if you want more bums on seats, it's very simple. More performances like yesterday - and give the ball to erskine!

Don't think it was kids for free on Saturday? I thought it was £10 for adults, oap's and kids for £5?

yeah im sure it was too! I think people are just hoping we have pushed the free for under 16s for the league games so we may attract a few wains from the dark side.

yeah im sure it was too! I think people are just hoping we have pushed the free for under 16s for the league games so we may attract a few wains from the dark side.

That's it exactly.

We do also have to do something about the atmosphere. I would like to think that the new regime at the club would be willing to give a go to asking the Shed Boys to try out the other side and move the family section to the other end. It makes perfect sense in trying to generate an atmosphere at games and keep the weans away from the 'banter'.

The club should be getting a PDF poster on the site well in advance of our home games and we the fans should then be doing our bit to help get the message out there in local schools, cafes, newsagents, wherever.

This was something I mentioned in the fans survey we did last season. We've seen posters for a 'think pink' day, the Dundee game a couple of seasons ago and GB's last game in the dugout, but we really should be producing one for each and every game. If potential fans don't know the game is on/available as a weekend entertainment option, they will not go. I'm sure the designers at the company producing the programmes could knock up a template in half an hour that they could just change the photo and details for every home game.

There is one of these triangle advert vans going round the West End advertising the "Jags" Dont know whats on it as I have not seen it.

Telling people who dont support the "Jags" "kids go free" does'nt really work very well.You have to show an example on your advert ie "1 adult + 2 Children at 2 other grounds in Glasgow costs [What ever it costs] 1 Adult + 2 children at Firhill costs £17.00 a saving of ------

The kind of brain dead bellends who follow either of those machines of bigotry aren't going to chuck it and come to Firhill cause it's cheaper.

That's why I asked if there were many adults NOT wearing green and white who had taken their kids along. I doubt for a minute that we'll turn any celtic "fans" who don't even go to parkhead but folk may bring their kids to Firhill cos they want to go to a match on Saturdays.

There is one of these triangle advert vans going round the West End advertising the "Jags" Dont know whats on it as I have not seen it.Telling people who dont support the "Jags" "kids go free" does'nt really work very well.You have to show an example on your advert ie "1 adult + 2 Children at 2 other grounds in Glasgow costs [What ever it costs] 1 Adult + 2 children at Firhill costs £17.00 a saving of ------

I've got to admit that i've never seen anything advertising Thistle. I don't know how or where they do it, or even if they do it, but reading into the leaflet/inside back page of the programme, it's something that we are all going to be asked to try chip in with.

We can argue about terminology, but i think it's important to emphasise the 'U16 go free' rather than 'kids' as a group of teenagers (U16 of course!) could go along to the football together and pay nothing!

I'm not really sure i agree with the sentiment expressed elsewhere about OF fans not coming along - I know plenty of people in work that proport to follow the football (and often one of the OF) but very few of them actually go to a game. This may be because of finance/losing contact with mates etc. but i honestly think if we could get some of them along to Firhill, they might fall in love with the game again and come more often. I started going to Firhill as I was looking for something to do with my son - we both love it and three seasons later we are season ticket holders. I've got a 9-week old as well who will be a Jag. I don't care where people come from, if we can get them in the stadium regularly and ensure we've got a team to support in the future, i'll welcome them all. As long as they sing our songs.

Unfortunately, the abandoned main stand, the bing, and an virtually empty north stand don't help when it comes to giving the neutral or simply curious visitor any sense of an exciting, vibrant atmosphere. So unless the football (by Thistle, not the opponents) is really attractive, then they are unlikely to return.

I was really surprised to see the fans going into the Main Stand on Saturday. I thought the Club had stopped maintaining it to cut down on the annual safety certificate bill.

Isn't it the case that we can use it but not the whole stand - there's a bit that would require upgrading and maintenance if we were to have it full all the time but it's OK if we only use part of it??

I could be completely wrong of course.

I was really surprised to see the fans going into the Main Stand on Saturday. I thought the Club had stopped maintaining it to cut down on the annual safety certificate bill.

It must still have a safety certificate, as the Warriors have used it a couple of times in recent years. Whether the Warriors now take to do with maintaining the stand & paying for the checks, I have no idea. That would, I suppose, make sense as there more chance of them using it than us in a season.

The main reason for it not being used I think is because almost double the amount of stewards are required, for the same amount of people, as it's made of wood, compared to the JH/North Stand.

• Members

Good shout 1JL. I had forgotten about the Warriors. If they use the Main Stand on occassions, I guess that's why the safety certificate would be getting re-newed regularly.

We must have struggled for stewards on Saturday then as well, because opening that stand was clearly an afterthought when it quickly became clear that the North Stand was just about full and there were still plenty of Celtic fans queuing outside waiting to get in.