Coco Says...

Lindau

season tickets sales will determine the managers budget (tell us something we dont know) Hows about the millionaires club (the dire-ectors) dipping in and giving the manager some sort of clout, at our level, in the transfer market, just for a change

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/budget-d-day-for-jags-boss-ian-1.1031708

Edited by Lindau

season tickets sales will determine the managers budget (tell us something we dont know) Hows about the millionaires club (the dire-ectors) dipping in and giving the manager some sort of clout, at our level, in the transfer market, just for a change

I know all the arguments - we've a big debt, credit crunch means the banks are squeezing the pips, etc. - but I think it's still inexcusable they treat us like morons.

Most of us know the problems and to an extent accept things have to be tight, but we can do without the bullsh!t.

I mean "we believe he (the manager) still has a budget that will allow him to keep us competitive." If we're talking a few quid here, maybe yes but then we wouldn't be talking about it if that's all it was. If they're saying that, then it must be a fairly big cut ... and they've obviously not sold as many season tickets as they hoped, otherwise surely they'd be bragging about how well they were going.

OK maybe we've got faith in the manager to wheel and deal and do well with a limited budget but it's going to be very hard. And it will require us not to get too many injuries next season. Personally I think McCall is capable of doing this but he doesn't get things consistently right .. so while we might do fine, we could just as easily struggle (though I don't believe relegation will be an issue).

Somehow I can't see the manager's budget enjoying a boost from the directors dipping into their pockets - it'll go to the bank.

Calderwood has just chucked it at Rugby Park due to 'cuts in the playing budget' for next term. Same story pretty much wherever you look. Everything being relative, does this mean we shouldn't be that much worse off next season, as presumably, everybody else is more or less in the same boat?

Personally, I don't think it'll be too long now before we hear of more than one established club going down the council gritter. :(

Different league and set-up, I know, but looking like tea's oot for Crystal Palace tomorrow lunch time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crystal_palace/8714650.stm

Guest Argus

Not really any different than you would expect to hear from a member of the board.

Pointless expecting any board member to put more money into the club, as it would go straight to the bank.

Jury is out on if McCall can deal with the circumstances, the only redeeming feature being the situation for most clubs is exactly the same.

This thing about not putting anymore money into the club because the bank would swallow it up is a bit of a myth.

If the trust,as a board member itself, can give money as an independant donation, to directly assist the signing of a player, then so can an individual board member.

This thing about not putting anymore money into the club because the bank would swallow it up is a bit of a myth.

If the trust,as a board member itself, can give money as an independant donation, to directly assist the signing of a player, then so can an individual board member.

How I see it too. Wasn't one of the directors seemingly paying Maxwell's wages since he arrived? Otherwise, it seems to me that the board could fork out for another player or two but simply choose not to. If they did, I don't see how the bank could do much about it.

Clearly folk are meaning if the money is put into the coffers of Partick Thistle Football Club in the hope that some of it reaches the playing budget, but that would just be ridiculous, if the money was given from an individual the bank would have no say whatsoever, as has happened elsewhere many times in scottish football, Robbie Keane?

The last thing we should be doing is have Coco tell anyone what to do!! He should be kept well away from any attempt to add season ticket sales, feck sake, surely there's someone with a bit of guile in that place that to know that rolling him out is a PR disaster.

As for not signing anyone until July 1st we can rule out getting Kenny Deuchar if that is the case as he's got plenty of other options and will not be waiting until then to get tied up.

Somehow I think that if a board member had a good drink in him and put a million into the club, the bank would find a way to get its hands on that million.

How I see it too. Wasn't one of the directors seemingly paying Maxwell's wages since he arrived? Otherwise, it seems to me that the board could fork out for another player or two but simply choose not to. If they did, I don't see how the bank could do much about it.

Blackpool Jag, I think players' wages and serious money (in Thistle terms) are different.

Blackpool Jag, I think players' wages and serious money (in Thistle terms) are different.

I don't think the amounts of money in relation to our budgets or anyone elses come into it, I think in the scenario we're describing it would be the source and nature of the transaction, it happens frequently that players are signed outwith clubs budgets and funded by A.N Other source, and the amount of cash involved as far as the bank is concerned is irrelevant.

I'm not saying they should or they would or whatever, just that it's a myth they can't because the bank would take it.

As for not signing anyone until July 1st we can rule out getting Kenny Deuchar if that is the case as he's got plenty of other options and will not be waiting until then to get tied up.

This delay in us signing anyone is worrying, especially when you look at our key First Division rivals already out shopping.

I do also wonder why the manager seems to be prioritising the return of old pros like Maxwell and Hinchcliffe, over the acquisition of new players in a few key positions (e.g. goalkeeper) ?

This delay in us signing anyone is worrying, especially when you look at our key First Division rivals already out shopping.

I do also wonder why the manager seems to be prioritising the return of old pros like Maxwell and Hinchcliffe, over the acquisition of new players in a few key positions (e.g. goalkeeper) ?

Probably in the main due to the fact his budget is pish poor.

If the board offered to match the amount spent on season tickets pound for pound then Im sure this would be a great bit of PR.

:lol:

Maybe, just maybe, they cant afford to. Ever contemplated that?

I'm no huge fan of the board, but until such times as a white knight like Brookson or Melville ( :blink: ) come along then we're stuck with them.

As a piss poor analogy, I'd say why dont you half your monthly salary to starving Africans? Because you dont care or because you cant afford to?

If the board offered to match the amount spent on season tickets pound for pound then Im sure this would be a great bit of PR.

I'd rephrase that as individual Board members rather than as a unit.

Hypothetically I wouldn't want to see future directorship of PTFC synonymous with being obliged to make altruistic gestures. I'd rather see the Board contain some hard edged businessmen (who may have very limited personal wealth) and other experts in certain fields. That shouldn't of course be an obstacle to those others of wealth on our Board not contributing financially in either an ad hoc or regular basis.

I have no idea how much moola members of the board have paid into the club in the past, nor the amounts they continue to contribute. I suspect it's the same for most other fans.

Unlike TL, I'm not calling on individual members to make huge public donations. However, I would like to see them purchase season tickets for the year ahead, thus demonstrating their commitment to the club in a simple but effective way.

That, and arrange a friendly against Elgin in Elgin on the weekend of 17/18 July. ;)

I have absolutely no idea what if any money the Board have contributed, I would imagine there is some sort of pre-requisite to becoming a director. However, we have seen for months now fans saying they are not prepared to pay £16 entry, isn't it odd that we still expect the directors to shell out when we aren't ?

I have absolutely no idea what if any money the Board have contributed, I would imagine there is some sort of pre-requisite to becoming a director. However, we have seen for months now fans saying they are not prepared to pay £16 entry, isn't it odd that we still expect the directors to shell out when we aren't ?

Not really, it is common practice/a common occurance that if you are a director, then you should support your club financially.

Our directors do, via the yearly fee they pay, what you need to ask though, is that enough?

When a director picked up 35k last year for a "job", that he will now be doing for free, so that we can employ 4 coaches, you need to ask: Who benefits from partick thistle more?

The fans, from watching the product on the park, or the directors from their companies financial gain through meeting and greeting at the clubs expense?

In that respect, i can't fault anyone who says they will not purchase a season ticket.

Has the director's fee increased by the same % as the season ticket?

Not really, it is common practice/a common occurance that if you are a director, then you should support your club financially.

Our directors do, via the yearly fee they pay, what you need to ask though, is that enough?

When a director picked up 35k last year for a "job", that he will now be doing for free, so that we can employ 4 coaches, you need to ask: Who benefits from partick thistle more?

The fans, from watching the product on the park, or the directors from their companies financial gain through meeting and greeting at the clubs expense?

In that respect, i can't fault anyone who says they will not purchase a season ticket.

Has the director's fee increased by the same % as the season ticket?

The season tickets haven't gone up it's the pay at the gate that has but the question is perfectly acceptable. If the directors are expecting pay at the gate fans to pay more are they willing to up the ante on their yearly payment?

The season tickets haven't gone up it's the pay at the gate that has but the question is perfectly acceptable. If the directors are expecting pay at the gate fans to pay more are they willing to up the ante on their yearly payment?

Good point, i was reacting to the previous posts re refusal to buy season tickets, blurring every shambles into 1. adding 2 plus 3 and getting 7.

Can I get Tom Hughes' job?

• Members

I think some of the Directors use the 'fee' as a business tool and benefit from this whereas others are happy to see it as a 'donation' to the club.

I don't have an issue with how much these guys put into the Club. It's way more than I do and probably everyone else on this forum! I do have an issue with guys sitting on the Executive Board and bringing nothing useful to the Club though.