Where Do We Go From Here?

clarencegarter

He is in no way at all a Partick Thistle fan. Lets forget that and move on.

Do you know him? I tend to agree, any Thistle fan would have come forward by now I reckon, but he said it so what harm is there in testing the water. Also, another fan confirmed him as a Thistle fan in another thread (I know, could all be a load of crap) but we have nothing to lose.

My mate works with his son...

*used to work with his son.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as you know that for a fact, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why he constantly mentions that he is a jags supporter nearly every time he is in the papers

Jackie, maxi and sid were asked at the EEOS meeting, they said he may have gone to few games but was not a big fan and the speculation was that it was better than saying he supported one of the ugly sisters.

but they did look at it

We've played 3 of the 'favoured' teams so far & they are no better than us. Yes, we hacen't played great in any of those matches, but I know that we can. Will we? I hope so, but time will tell. If we improve, even just slightly, we'll be as good as what this division has to offer. All the teams will take points off each other, if a team puts a good run together they'll be up there, whether that's now or in 3 months time.

LEAGUE GAMES ONLY.

First time in at least 10 years we haven't picked up at least 1 point from our first two games. Can't go back any further.

00-01...15 points from first 9 games...(4 from first two games)

01-02...18...(4)

02-03...8...(1)

03-04...2...(1)

04-05...12...(3)

05-06...16...(2)

06-07...17...(6)

07-08...10...(4)

08-09...14...(6)

09-10...15...(2)

10-11...9...(3)

11-12...?...(0)

perhaps you could enlighten us as to why he constantly mentions that he is a jags supporter nearly every time he is in the papers

Does he? I was under the impression he made a passing reference to us and Largs Thistle in his initial press conference. The Sunday Mail taking the liberty of calling him a "diehard" doesn't equate to him constantly talking about us.

Does he? I was under the impression he made a passing reference to us and Largs Thistle in his initial press conference. The Sunday Mail taking the liberty of calling him a "diehard" doesn't equate to him constantly talking about us.

Well never having been at any of his press conferences I wouldnt know, but what I can say that it has been noted in nearly every publication that has printed a story about the guy. If you know better, fair enough!!

Jeezo. Their first big press conference when they announced the lottery win was live on the rolling news channels.

He never mentioned any interest in football until a reporter specifically brought it up and asked which team he supported. He said he liked to watch all good football, but if pushed to name a team would go for the two Thistles in his life - Largs Thistle and us. We weren't even top of that list of two. He then said he had no interest in owning a team, but would like to watch one. This was followed up in the next day or two when he was quoted as being interested in buying a box at Barcelona.

And that's it.

He sounded like a cautious and fairly level-headed sort of guy, not the kind of egotistical mug that is attracted to running/ruining football clubs in this country. When he talked about setting up a charitable foundation, he said you have to be very careful with these things to make sure that you get it right and so he'd be taking lots of advice from lawyers and accountants before doing anything. Somehow I don't think Cowan and Co or Gerber, Landa and Gee will be entrusted with that role.

but it's pretty easy to recognise direct quotes by the quotation remarks.

Jeez thanks for that I had no idea :whistling::sarcastic:

The one fact known is that he has said that he is a jags fan to the media...not Rangers, not Celtic, not Airdrie, not Dundee, not any other professional club, just Partick Thistle. Thats the fact and all you can go on are facts not fiction. He may well turn out to be an Infirm supporter, but at the moment the only professional club he has mentioned supporting is us!

Queens and County fans will be even more worried than us. They look to be the weakest teams in the league. We will probably struggle just above them unless Jackie can get it sorted quickly.

The big question is why the defence, so good after the arrival of Fox last season, is so weak. Sinclair is an excellent replacement for Boyle and the problems appear to be the central defenders.

Still in more cups than us and not behind us in the league either, I think we should be more worried about getting us up the league table than relying on other teams picking up fewer points than us.

Before I say any more I do think Jackie has been unlucky in a lot of ways.

However, when a young manager gets off to a bad start it's extremely difficult to turn it round. Jackie's team selection leaves a lot to be desired and he appears to be afraid to trust the young players. Someone mentions early in the thread, where is Bannigan? He has surely done enough in the past year to start for us now. Likewise Fraser, Campbell and MacBeth. These players will soon begin to go backwards if their careers aren't allowed to take the next step.

His substitutions, for me, are also found wanting. His only real solution seems to be, bring on a guy who will never in a million years dig in when the chips are down - Flanagan.

The current management set up also brings back memories of our last "young" management team. 2 ex-celts who are too quiet and too friendly with the players, and unwilling to rock the boat in terms of team selection so as not to upset the older players.

So based on all the above, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Jackie doesn't have what it takes to manage Thistle.

If he turns it round from here I will be both astounded and delighted in equal measures.

And before I get stick for this, I have given several reasons for why I've formed this opinion.

Edited by ian_mac

LEAGUE GAMES ONLY.

First time in at least 10 years we haven't picked up at least 1 point from our first two games. Can't go back any further.

00-01...15 points from first 9 games...(4 from first two games)

01-02...18...(4)

02-03...8...(1)

03-04...2...(1)

04-05...12...(3)

05-06...16...(2)

06-07...17...(6)

07-08...10...(4)

08-09...14...(6)

09-10...15...(2)

10-11...9...(3)

11-12...?...(0)

Season 99/2000, was even worse, lost 1st 3 league games,

Stenhousemuir at home, got beat 1-0,

Alloa away, got beat 1-0,

Arbroath home, got beat 3-1,

Wasnt till our next game against Q.O.S.did we pick up the points with a 3-0 win at home.

We also lost in the league cup, at home to Alloa, 0-2.

We finished in 5th place, on 46 points, we also lost the last 3 games of the season to, Stenhousemuir, Alloa and Arbroath!!!

However, when a young manager gets off to a bad start it's extremely difficult to turn it round. Jackie's team selection leaves a lot to be desired and he appears to be afraid to trust the young players. Someone mentions early in the thread, where is Bannigan? He has surely done enough in the past year to start for us now. Likewise Fraser, Campbell and MacBeth. These players will soon begin to go backwards if their careers aren't allowed to take the next step.

His substitutions, for me, are also found wanting. His only real solution seems to be, bring on a guy who will never in a million years dig in when the chips are down - Flanagan.

The current management set up also brings back memories of our last "young" management team. 2 ex-celts who are too quiet and too friendly with the players, and unwilling to rock the boat in terms of team selection so as not to upset the older players.

So based on all the above, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Jackie doesn't have what it takes to manage Thistle.

If he turns it round from here I will be both astounded and delighted in equal measures.

And before I get stick for this, I have given several reasons for why I've formed this opinion.

All good points. If you keep doing the same, you'll keep getting the same results, and it looks as if McNamara is learning this the hard way, to the cost of the club.

One of the things that really impressed me about McCall when he first took over was that he had no favourites and he was prepared to ditch players if he thought he had overestimated their effectiveness. In particular, he obviously assumed from the start that the then captain Jimmy Gibson had what it took; once McCall saw that wasn't the case, it wasn't long before Gibson became an ex-Thistle player. To be blunt, I'd like to see McNamara taking a similarly dispassionate view of the current captain, Archie, who is too slow on the pitch and too reticent as a captain. Any leader, including the manager of a football club, needs to be able to shake off sentimental attachments to personnel if he's to succeed.

Understand what you are saying however i reckon you need to wait another 6 weeks or so before you can really judge the guy as I have previously posted we need wins and pronto if we get to after the 1st quarter and god forbid we have not won a game I would certainly concur.

I am certainly worried even this early in the season but he does need to be given the next couple of months before we can really make a proper judgement.

Off at a tangent slightly but I was speaking to a Celtic fan who said to me "Why didnt you get Gus McPherson in??"

To be perfectly honest I have to agree that he would have been a good appointment.

October 15th will see the first quarter of the season finished I hope to fcuk we are posting more positive stuff at this point!

A few interesting posts on there amongst the usual, im not pressing the panic button yet. Ive seen all the games this season and we are very close to being a decent team but we have 2 or 3 weak links that most of us thought would be strengths.

I think many expected Erskine and Stewart to be key players for us this year , so far they have been playing like they havent seen a football before and the team is suffering because of it. You can just about get away with one passenger at this level but 2 or more and its an impossible task.

Hamilton next weekend could be make or break for the season, we have to win this one, no would like too or anything like that. In a league where every team can beat every other one we cannot afford to be miles behind after only a few games.

I've still got faith in Jackie; I think to lose that within a couple of games is a tad silly, albeit some of the reasons for doing so, on the face of it, seem reasonable.

I think it's perfectly understandable that when a rookie manager loses his opening games, he becomes slightly reluctant to make bold changes to the team. However, I think that is exactly what is needed.

I can understand why Jackie tried playing Erskine on the right, having him cut inside on his left foot and get a shot away. But it hasn't worked and persisting with it isn't doing anyone any good. Erskine is at his best when he's able to run at defenders and he can't really do that just now because he's uncomfortable on his right foot.

Jackie stated that his preferred formation was a 4-3-3 and, when he set the team up that way against Raith on the last day of the season, we looked pretty good. But we've now reverted to a 4-4-2 and it seems he's perhaps afraid to go with a formation as attacking as a 4-3-3. In this division, you rarely come up against anything other than a 4-4-2 so adopting a different approach might give us an advantage.

In my opinion, a more experienced Assistant Manager may have reassured Jackie about a couple of things and gave him a few tactical pointers along the way. I love Sid and think he has a lot to offer as a coach but I question his value as an Assistant and often wonder if he'd be in the position if he weren't best friends with the manager.

Some of our patterns of play are good but often lack any sort of threat. I think if we can add a penalty-box striker, an attacking midfielder and revert back to a 4-3-3, we'll see an improvement.

I think Jackie just needs to believe in his own ideas and not be afraid to implement them.

Edited by Armand2

Where do we go from here?

This isn't where we intended to be

We had it all, you believed in me

I believed in you

Certainties disappear

What do we do for our dream to survive?

How do we keep all our passions alive,

As we used to do?

Deep in my heart I'm concealing

Things that I'm longing to say

Scared to confess what I'm feeling

Frightened you'll slip away

(I wouldn't say I'm exactly a big fan of musical theatre, but that one did pop into my head reading this thread... :bag: )