Mccall Green Light

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have them all back, than two back or three.

The idea that the club would not commit to an assitant manager was ridiculous.

Cowan's press statements however just get better and better:

"As a result, chief executive Eddie Prentice will be stepping down over the course of the summer and each of the board of directors will assume responsibility with regards to a specific area."

Thank goodness Prentice will be leaving.

And the second bit. So the members of the board did not have a specific area to be responsible for? I hate to think what some of roles are for certain members on the board.

Cowan could focus on being press guy, as were always guaranteed a laugh in the Evening Times from time to time.

Hughes will obviously be the accountant, going on his performance so far god knows how bad the financial state of the Club will be with him still at the helm.

Edited by northernsoul

Not liking the implication of the words 'Donnelly' and 'key playing role' in the same sentence. I'd like to think he wouldn't be required to play very often next season.

Likewise, but it is Bert-Speak.

I'd like to think that there will always be two other strikers fit and in form most of the time to keep Sid on the bench at best. There's no question in my mind that Donnelly started most games last season on merit. He did well enough, in fact sometimes very well, but his position should've been under a lot more pressure. Hopefully between Liam, Doolan, Grehan and maybe even Burns there'll be enough form and fitness to edge Sid out.

If McNamara plays like he did in his last two or three games then I can see him starting as often as not and at least making the bench. Big worry, though, over the leg break at his age.

The least we see of Maxwell & Hinchcliffe on the pitch the better.

Please only re-sign them Ian if you are intent on them helping develop and also playing these young guys. I've had enough of paying good money to watch duds like Corcoran and Paton.

Edited by MWM

Recent interviews with Jaggy McNamara left you with the impression he thought the assistant manager gig was his. Will he want to come in as a youth coach? If he was indeed earmarked for the former role then I really don't see what Maxi has to offer.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

Feckin brilliant news, that's just made my close season, Jackie Mac and Sid are the future and i'm delighted they are to be our youth coaches.

Sid a waste of a wage? get real!!!!! , key playing role? ok that is slightly suspect, but two excellent signings as youth coaches all the same.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2:

Feckin brilliant news, that's just made my close season, Jackie Mac and Sid are the future and i'm delighted they are to be our youth coaches.

Sid a waste of a wage? get real!!!!! , key playing role? ok that is slightly suspect, but two excellent signings as youth coaches all the same.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2:

:) :)Brill news delighted Jackie and Sid are signing on again they will be great for our youth teams.

Great to have them signed up as coaches and i'm not bothered if sid starts and holds his place in the first team, he proved the doubters wrong last season by being an asset to the team.

Maxwell as number 2 though? that i find strange, but if mccall has a very tight coaching budget, then thats obviously the best he can do.

this though, just shows how little these four guys are on:

The Jags supremo admitted the behind-the-scenes restructure was needed to allow McCall to build his coaching set-up with emphasis on developing the club’s increasingly promising batch of kids.

Cowan said: “In the past, Partick Thistle have paid no more than lip service to developing a Youth structure and the coaching of young kids.

“That is now not the case. We are determined to back the manager and, of course, Gerry Britton, our Youth director.

“To allow that to happen we have had to make tough decisions but believe that has been the right thing to do.

“It will now allow us to provide the manager with the coaching staff needed to develop and get the best out of our Youth players

In that, cowan tells us that prentices 35k wage is what enabled us to pay maxwell, hinchy, sid and jaggy mac's wage for this season. By my reckoning, they're probably on about £200 a week! :happy2:

Edited by potty trained

Not happy bout Sid to be honest a key playing role he's a waste of a wage he is not good enough of a striker his days are past him.

I totally agree.

But you are forgetting the commandment of some.... "Thou shalt not slag-off Saint Simon Donnelly in any way shape or form despite the fact he's just an average player a decade past his peak". I learned that on the last forum.

I totally agree.

But you are forgetting the commandment of some.... "Thou shalt not slag-off Saint Simon Donnelly in any way shape or form despite the fact he's just an average player a decade past his peak". I learned that on the last forum.

makes you wonder though, when you look at the p!sh he was playing around?

started every week practically, was in the posters predicted starting 11 on a friday, and none of them posted in a negative way, they wanted him in...

so here's to next season, more Sid?

Hope so, because if not, it's going to be Keiron!

makes you wonder though, when you look at the p!sh he was playing around?

started every week practically, was in the posters predicted starting 11 on a friday, and none of them posted in a negative way, they wanted him in...

so here's to next season, more Sid?

Hope so, because if not, it's going to be Keiron!

Yeah. You're right mate. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I expect too high class a player at Firhill. Must be an age thing. How I miss the magic of my youth watching the likes of Dougie Somner, Alan Hansen, Joe Craig, Jackie Campbell, Jim Melrose and the like. Sorry but Sid couldn't lace any of their boots imvho.

Now mediocrity gets applauded.

Looking at the past through rose coloured specs? Maybe. But I think not.

Yeah. You're right mate. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I expect too high class a player at Firhill. Must be an age thing. How I miss the magic of my youth watching the likes of Dougie Somner, Alan Hansen, Joe Craig, Jackie Campbell, Jim Melrose and the like. Sorry but Sid couldn't lace any of their boots imvho.

Now mediocrity gets applauded.

Looking at the past through rose coloured specs? Maybe. But I think not.

maybe a reality check is in order... Cause i can't remember the last time i saw players of the class you mention... certainly not under mccall... so maybe donnelly is the best we can hope for?

and once you take the rose tinted specs off... alan wasn't anything great, his brother was a far better player. :thumbsup2:

maybe a reality check is in order... Cause i can't remember the last time i saw players of the class you mention... certainly not under mccall... so maybe donnelly is the best we can hope for?

and once you take the rose tinted specs off... alan wasn't anything great, his brother was a far better player. :thumbsup2:

Yeah. Mediocrity it is then bro.

Though I have to disagree about Alan v John, though admittedly I was really young back in the days I watched them both so maybe all I recall is the pace, excitement, atmosphere, brilliance, awe-inspiring class. Days long gone now :( .... is it just me who's hearing the tune from the old Hovis ad right now? lol

days long gone indeed, days now when sid's ability to trap and pass are a plus compared to his team mates. when now we are faced with a right back with no left foot, wing backs who can't tackle....

need i go on....

all i'm saying is... in the grand scheme of things, sid is one of the standouts... yes, he's not a standout for brazil... he's just a stand out for us... and i don't see any better coming behind him! :(

days long gone indeed, days now when sid's ability to trap and pass are a plus compared to his team mates. when now we are faced with a right back with no left foot, wing backs who can't tackle....

need i go on....

all i'm saying is... in the grand scheme of things, sid is one of the standouts... yes, he's not a standout for brazil... he's just a stand out for us... and i don't see any better coming behind him! :(

As I said before Donnelly was played last season by and large as he merited a place. Whatever you think of his style of play or

ability he was a better front player than anyone else in the squad (Buchanan excepted when fit and only for a spell at that).

I happen to have reservations about Sid in terms of his style of play in certain situations but I also can appreciate his usefulness in others. As an example of the latter on our last trip to Almondvale when Griffiths was taking our defence apart and our 3 goal lead was crumbling. I don't think we'd have won that game if Donnelly hadn't come on the park. His hold up play was exceptional and helped alleviate the one way traffic. It was also frustration from Livi that led to Donnelly being fouled and Harkins clinching the game. As for the former it's clear to me that Sid's been played too often previous to last season at times where his style of play is least effective. But that's all irrelevant for last season when there was no one else.

Just as irrelevant is comparing Donnelly to Somner, Craig or Melrose. I very much doubt any of those three could have laced Joe McBride's boots but I don't slag them off now and didn't back then.

As one of Sids biggest critics, I was won over last season and thought Donnelly was brilliant. Ok he fell away a bit when the bad weather hit but so did every single Thistle player, consider me a 'rehabilitated Sid-hater'. Would still prefer to see some younger players get their chance next season with Sid being used less :thumbsup2:

Uh Oh!

Cash snag hits Jags plan for dual coaching roles.

This depends on whether we can get Corky and Boyle off the playing budget.

hopefully can get McNamara and Donnelly resigned. As previously emntioned by a few othrs was hoping McNamara would be Assistant Manager as well then there would be less of a need for Maxwell. I am aware he would offer experience to the younger lads, but bearing in mind we have Archibald who is already signed up for another year, I personally disagreed with the decision to keep him on but fact is he is here for another season and with his injury is likely to be sitting in the stand for a while, therefore surely he could be suing his experience to monitor the young lads, pass on advice etc.