Just In

Camallain

Ten out of ten for grinding out a win today but that was an awful second half display. Another bad mistake by Fox for the QOS equaliser but if you can win when your playing badly................................. :thumbsup2:

Just noticed we are now above Dundee in the table! Makes stealing the points today all the sweeter :lol:

Edited by Camallain

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly the worst game of the season, both sides were rubbish.

First goal, Elliot chased a long ball over the top - his pace forced the keeper to come out of his box and his clearence hit Elliot and fell to Doolan who rolled it into an empty net.

Nothing of note for rest of the half

2nd halh, elliot had a one on one with their keeper but a good save, then Doolan had a header clered off the line - should have been game over.

Fox needlesly came for a cross ball at the edge of the box but was beaten to it and headed into an open goal.

Erskine came on, beat two men, got into the box and was brought down but no penalty. Queens had a great shot come back off the post before we broke, Stewart played Rowson through who squared it to elliot to slot home.

all Queens for last 5 mins.

Best players - Cairney, Paton, Rowson, though the defence was really dodgy but good to get three points

Certainly the worst game of the season, both sides were rubbish.

First goal, Elliot chased a long ball over the top - his pace forced the keeper to come out of his box and his clearence hit Elliot and fell to Doolan who rolled it into an empty net.

Nothing of note for rest of the half

2nd halh, elliot had a one on one with their keeper but a good save, then Doolan had a header clered off the line - should have been game over.

Fox needlesly came for a cross ball at the edge of the box but was beaten to it and headed into an open goal.

Erskine came on, beat two men, got into the box and was brought down but no penalty. Queens had a great shot come back off the post before we broke, Stewart played Rowson through who squared it to elliot to slot home.

all Queens for last 5 mins.

Best players - Cairney, Paton, Rowson, though the defence was really dodgy but good to get three points

Id agree with much of that. We'll play better and lose, in fact we have done already this season. Good to get the 3 points and good to see Cairney showing some of the form he did when he first arrived and a deserved MotM. Archie worried me today, maybe playing with too high a defensive line but he was done a few times.

Stonewall penalty denied, and they might have had a wee shout for one as well. All in all, poor game but good outcome. When was the last time we had a player make such an instant impact? Linford has been a good find, 2 goals and an assist in 120 mins, good start, long may it continue.

Edited by Steven H

Poor game but good outcome. Thought that we looked dodgy at times, especially Balamory and when Jaggy Mac finally made the change and put Robbo at the back we looked far stronger than we had all day. Erskine impressed me from coming off the bench today as he added that cutting edge we were missing in the first half and maybe just that change in formation suited him.

Thank god we have 3 points, lets now kickstart the season and start to believe again.

Am I going doo-lally or did they hit the post after Elliott had scored? :unsure:

As for Erskine's penalty, it was a stonewaller IMO but so was theirs a minute earlier. A case of levelling things up by the referee I think.

Fox at fault, again, is a bit worrying. He was rock solid last season but has had a few howlers already this season. A minor blip, hopefully.

A draw was a fair result, I think, but I'll gladly take the win. :D

Edited by H Wragg

• Members

Never mind one blatant penalty claim turned down, two in the space of a minute and another in the first half as well as the claim from Queens! Following the corner we got for Erskine getting the legs whipped from under him, Cairney's shot was clearly charged down by the defenders hands on the edge of the box. I suppose to be fair to the ref, that one would have been hard for him to spot as he wasn't in a good position to see it. The challenge on Robertson looked dodgy as well and after some of the penalties we've seen given so far this season, I'm astonished the ref didn't think any of the four claims were worthy of a penalty.

There's the possibility that he didn't give rskine a penalty as he had only just waved away a Queens claim at the other end. Really poor performance by the ref.

Fox was a total fecking bombscare. Bailed out about 2-3 times today.

We played without any real shape and Queens were better in midfield most of the game. The defence was really shoogly peg and I think Archie was lucky not to concede a penalty and get sent off for it. Thought the Erskine penalty shout was soft.

Good to see Elliot put pressure on to force the mistake from the keeper but a fortunate deflection and Doolan very nearly missed the open net...

Elliot caused more problems second half and should have probably had a goal before he eventually got one. Rowson's build-up work was good. Doolan had a chance to shoot midway through second half that he laid off instead and he should have wellied it. Erskine looked a lot better than the rest of the season when he came on and Stewart looked interested which was good. Robertson did quite a good job at the back when Balatoni went off.

Wouldn't have given MOTM to Cairney. Probably say Elliot or Rowson more deserving. We'll play a lot better and lose this season; we already have done.

3 points, no complaints. In Christie Elliot I think we have a striker. Not just a centre-forward, but a striker. Me likey.

I think you're all being too kind, that was absolutely appalling. I find it hilarious people are talking about still being in the promotion race, there are real problems there. Fox nightmare for the goal, looks so bereft of confidence everytime a cross comes in the box.

Central defence was dire, Balatoni was awful, I thought he looked no bad last season - but this year he's been taking too many lessons from Kinniburgh on the art of bombscare defending. Sinclair and Paton played ok but both need to offer more support down the flanks, not enough overlapping.

Midfield, poor, Cairney had some lovely passing particularly second half, but he should have been sent off for a second yellow when he crunched Simmons when already booked, extremely lucky to finish the game. Why McNamara kept him on the left for 90 minutes I will never know. He may have x amount scotland caps but that doesn't mean Jackie knows what he's doing, what is this fascination with playing players on the opposite side to their favoured side? A lot of managers do it, **** that, get someone who can hit the byline and get balls in the box. You occasionally see a player cut in like Erskine did and score a nice goal, but more often than for us it results in us being ridiculously narrow with no overlapping full backs. Robertson was poor in midfield, but played better and steadied the ship at centre half alongside an unusually bad Archie.

Flannigan done nothing.

Elliot was anonymous except for his goal, tries to run with the ball too much, think he's been used to playing a poorer and slower standard of defender, he's got to learn and learn fast when to hold it up, lay it off, etc. But there's definitely promise, 2 goals in 120 minutes is a great start. Doolan didn't do much, scored into an empty net but not much else. No support or service though for the front men.

Erskine played well when he came on, thought Tommy Stewart looked more interested than he has done all season, played left wing when he came on, and I think he set up the goal? Didn't see who laid it off.

All in all, dreadful performance, but least we still won. But that was honestly, without being OTT, one of the worst wins I've witnessed in 19 years of supporting Thistle. Unless a drastic change, we're in for a tough season in my opinion.

Just wondering if Fox's poor form is also to do with how bad our central defense is as well,Archie and ballatoni hardly won a ball in the air all day.If Archie is to continue playing this season he needs someone with pace next to him. Balatoni looks as if he's running through treacle at times with the turning circle of the titanic.He would be a better player if he was a stone lighter.Worried about Archie's form also.Jackie Mac got the subs and formation change right and I thought Stewart and Erskine showed far more hunger and effort than they have been recently,Erskine had a stonewall penalty denied and Stewart played a major part in the goal.

We finshed 4-3-3 with Stewart ,Elliot, Doolahn up front and Erskine in midfield in place of Flannigan and looked better for it.

A win ground out so let's not knock it too much

Edited by angry gaz

Just wondering if Fox's poor form is also to do with how bad our central defense is as well

Not at all - he wasn't within sniffing distance of that ball and probably shouldn't have come out at all. Terrible judgement that's 100% down to the keeper

He's the new Dougie McNab. Each ****-up will eat away at his confidence and he'll end up a wreck between the sticks.

Am I going doo-lally or did they hit the post after Elliott had scored? :unsure:

As for Erskine's penalty, it was a stonewaller IMO but so was theirs a minute earlier. A case of levelling things up by the referee I think.

Fox at fault, again, is a bit worrying. He was rock solid last season but has had a few howlers already this season. A minor blip, hopefully.

A draw was a fair result, I think, but I'll gladly take the win. :D

If you are, then I will see you in Gartnavel Royal, because that is how I remember the chain of events too!

That's two f*ck-ups in as many weeks from Fox. In fairness, he did collect the ball very well a couple of times after the mistake but I wonder if the lack of any decent competition (Scully has not impressed me at all whenever he has played) has led to complacency setting in.

Not at all - he wasn't within sniffing distance of that ball and probably shouldn't have come out at all. Terrible judgement that's 100% down to the keeper

He's the new Dougie McNab. Each ****-up will eat away at his confidence and he'll end up a wreck between the sticks.

Shades of Halliwell at the start of last season, as well. I really, really hope it is only a blip for Fox, because he was brilliant at times last season.

....Worried about Archie's form also.Jackie Mac got the subs and formation change right....

A win ground out so let's not knock it too much

I can't agree: Archie should have been hooked early on: he had a complete 'mare out there, and spread his indecision to Balatoni and Fox.

Elliot is good, but he needs to sharpen up on his decision-making: he tried a shot when defenders were putting him under pressure, instead of passing to Robertson, who would have had a free shot on goal.

The game was a punt-fest, perhaps because Queens are poor, or perhaps because they spotted early on how vulnerable our central defence looked whenever a high ball came over - slow to pick up forwards, to turn and to track back, as well as incapable of dealing with the ball behind them. Fox was put on the spot on numerous occasions as defenders passed the ball back, so that all he could do was punt it up the park to nobody in particular. Today both Paton and Sinclair were called on to cover for the central defence. How long can such woeful performances in central defence be tolerated?

We were very lucky not to have a penalty awarded against us, but a penalty at the other end would have been soft.

Well done, both fullbacks and Paul Cairney - and Kris Doolan for his positioning, which got the first goal. It looks as if Cairney and Sinclair are developing an interesting partnership, since they complement each other in many ways. Once he came on, Erskine was keen to make a mark, and he created problems as well as having a shot.

The point being, did he come out for a ball he shouldn't have because he had no confidence the defender was going to win it.Not defending Fox at all, his form is pish, but we have a Keeper and Two Central defenders who looked dodgey at every single high ball,a real, real problem that will cost us games.

hope it is only a blip for Fox, because he was brilliant at times last season.

...and he's been good this season as well. I only recall the one really bad error before today. It might be that with his team captain directly in front of him he's not as bossy as most keepers. Ideally I like the captain to be a holding or central midfielder and the goalie to marshal the back four. Difficult to tell for sure but it looks like Fox could do with being more vocal.

I don't feel we carried any luck in the first three games but after today things have evened out. Queens will go away aggrieved they didn't get even one point never mind all three but no more unfairly than us with no points from the first two games.

That was awful!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm not only talking about the two women behind me that managed to talk without taking a breath for 90 minutes!!!!

Fox was a bombscare at times and I think his confidence in the defense is low (I cant blame him). And at the same time the defense's confidence in him is low.

Archie has been good over the years for us but I think maybe its time to call it quits. Has no pace and some of his tackling and going up for high balls with his arm up leaves me with the impression he is now past it. Balatoni looked, well lets be generous and say "heavy". Paton for me brings nothing to the team. He doesnt tackle or speed by players. All he does it get the ball on his right foot and now and again manage to find a team mate. Sinclair needs to start getting down the wing more, Alan Hutton style, instead of passing the ball and stopping dead.

Thankfully Erskine looked much better than he has been of late and it was nice to actually see a jags player taking on their opposite number for a change in the game.

We were poor, but won. So I guess I should be happy.

That first half must rank with the worst 45 mins of football i have ever seen and i mean at any level, i may be wrong but did we go in at half time 1-0 up and yet didnt make any noteworthy chances Second half was a bit better both teams had stonewall penalties turned down and if QOS werent so bad we could well have lost today. Worst display of the league season and yet we win typical Jags.

That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. Glad of the win as TBH I dont think we deserved it , bit of Karma for the Dundee game methinks.

4 games in I have yet to see any team that will race away with the league this year, could be any one from 10 to win and the same to go down so any win we can take is good news :D

That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. Glad of the win as TBH I dont think we deserved it , bit of Karma for the Dundee game methinks.

4 games in I have yet to see any team that will race away with the league this year, could be any one from 10 to win and the same to go down so any win we can take is good news :D

was saying just that today we are all as shit as each other, any team that can put a run together will start to pull away easily

For once a forum where we all agree - that was one dire game!

We got away with one today. A much needed 3 points, after some really scary stuff, particularly at the back.

We were awful.

Foxy if you tune in here, have a look at last seasons videos you were brilliant, saved our season.

You have had a couple of blips in the last couple of games but you are too good a keeper to have a confidence crisis. Good to see you between the sticks and looking forward to seeing some more outstanding performances from you.

Foxy if you tune in here, have a look at last seasons videos you were brilliant, saved our season.

You have had a couple of blips in the last couple of games but you are too good a keeper to have a confidence crisis. Good to see you between the sticks and looking forward to seeing some more outstanding performances from you.

Spot on :thumbsup2: