Another Away Defeat?

Auld Jag

I used to have a couple of mates at uni in Dundee so know my way around the bars and stuff and it's a good place for a day/night in the pubs but even with that I'm not going to Dens unless it's a mega important game.

All the one you mentioned are far better, in fact even Kirkcaldy is good as far as Fife goes, knowing it was Saturday or Dens for me away games this month I chose Saturday.

I don't think we've ever played so well and then so poorly in consecutive games ever with Morton/Raith. There really was not one positive to take from it.

Remember the week after we'd won promotion to the SPL then went up to Inverness and lost 3-0? That was pretty dire, but the players were clearly all hung-over.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a quarter of the way through the season and in 7th place, unfortunately in line with my expectations. Unless the away form improves quickly, we will be in a relegation struggle. The loss at home to Berwick in the League Cup was very costly.

The manager's inherited most of McCall's squad. He has chosen, with the exception of Scully and Bannigan, to discard most of the young players who came through the youth system last season. Jackie has, admittedly, made some astute signings and will be aware that the squad is not good enough. It's unlikely that we would have done any better if Kinniburgh, Robertson and Flannigan had been fit in recent weeks. Hutton will be gone in December so the manager will have to wheel and deal to improve the team.

Tough times ahead.

I don't think we've ever played so well and then so poorly in consecutive games ever with Morton/Raith.

Oh but yes we have. Almost a tradition in bygone days. Howzabout....

a reputable 2-2 draw with Hibs followed by 1-10 defeat to Dunfermline :o

or a 2-7 defeat to Aberdeen immediately followed by a 3-1 win against Dundee Utd :o

I wouldn't put Morton/Raith ahead of the narrow cup defeat to Hearts at Tynecastle followed three days later with the infamous Pronevych game at Alloa.

Also I mind a few seasons back we went zero to hero twice on the trot....

Lost at home 1-5 to St Johnstone then beat Hamilton away only to lose 0-6 to Gretna but then we go beat Ross Co in the next game.

But I take your point the night and day difference in our last two matches is remarkable. Just it's something we've been doing similar for longer than I can remeember.

Remember the week after we'd won promotion to the SPL then went up to Inverness and lost 3-0? That was pretty dire, but the players were clearly all hung-over.

I saw us get beat 7-2 (I think) at Pittodrie the week after we won the League Cup - but some of the players were still drunk that day I think.

It's unlikely that we would have done any better if Kinniburgh, Robertson and Flannigan had been fit in recent weeks. Hutton will be gone in December so the manager will have to wheel and deal to improve the team.

Tough times ahead.

I have to disagree. I won't say there would have been a massive difference but I'm certain that if Kinniburgh and Robertson had been fit our defence would have been a little bit more solid - Balatoni has been poor in a lot of the games he's played and only passable otherwise. If Kinniburgh had been fit he and Archie make a good combination. Also, with two other centre-halfs available there'd been a bit more pressure on the first choice to perform - at the moment Archie, Balatoni (and Fox) have no competition.

We need WK and SR back ASAP and when possible an experienced goallie from somewhere - even Div 3 if that's all we can afford - to give Fox a kick.

Edited to add: it has been obvious since the start of the season the defence was shaky. I think we took a risk with the players we had at the time which hasn't paid off due to injury and also Balatoni not showing any real form.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It’s really just the away form that is letting us down, we have only lost 3 goals at home one of which was a dodgy penalty and another a bad error by fox.

A think it is a mixture of inexperience and lack of belief that is costing us away from home. The return of Kinniburgh would help.

Edited by Alan Murray

I was just saying the same thing last night. I have NEVER been able to work out whether playing at home or away can make such a difference. The bottom line is it's 11 v 11 on a football pitch. Why should the surroundings and number of fans make a difference??

Theory postulated in Guardian Football Weekly Podcast a few weeks ago...

When playing at home, the players are more in tune with the "landmarks" that surround the pitch giving them a better awareness of exactly where they are on the pitch. Catching sight of a crane or towerblock on the skyline or even a specific advertising hoarding at pitch-side helps with orientation.

Theory postulated in Guardian Football Weekly Podcast a few weeks ago...

When playing at home, the players are more in tune with the "landmarks" that surround the pitch giving them a better awareness of exactly where they are on the pitch. Catching sight of a crane or towerblock on the skyline or even a specific advertising hoarding at pitch-side helps with orientation.

That makes sense, and I'm sure having the majority of the support behind you must make a difference too.