Remembrance Day

stuthejag

When we remember everybody who died during all conflicts, spare a thought for all the Jags fans who died.

The following Thistle players all gave the ultimate sacrifice.

William Eadie (Partick Thistle 1908-09), died 1915

Robert Houston (Partick Thistle 1910-14), died 1915

Archie Boyd (Partick Thistle 1913-14), died 1916

Alexander Kay (Partick Thistle 1900-01), died 1917

William McCrindale (Partick Thistle 1936-41), died 1941

Wilf Reay (Partick Thistle 1934-35), died 1944

Edwin Watson (Partick Thistle 1936-38), died 1944

all but William McCrindale were Killed in Action, McCrindale died of his injuries after his home in Clydebank was bombed.

Edited by stuthejag

When we remember everybody who died during all conflicts, spare a thought for all the Jags fans who died.

all but William McCrindale were Killed in Action, McCrindale died of his injuries after his home in Clydebank was bombed.

Well said mate!!

They are the real heroes in the end

Post of the day, without any doubt

my son is friends with a jags fan who died in afghanistan. he was from stirling and think he was in the mechanical engineers. think that was what his regiment was called. sorry cant remember but his name was rab mcgonnigle

Edited by The Mighty Quinn

Curiously, Mr McCrindale is not listed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. :thinking: Like him, my great-grandmother died from injuries suffered in the Clydebank Blitz and she is listed.

I visited Clydebank Central library to try and get to the bottom of this and the only reason I can see why William McCrindale is not listed in any of the Clydebank Blitz material is because he was taken to Blawrthill Hopsital in (Knightswood) Glasgow where he died of his injuries.

see: Commonwealth War Graves Commission

In Memory of

Civilian WILLIAM DAVIDSON McCRINDLE

Civilian War Dead

who died age 25

on 14 March 1941

of 32 Livingstone Street, Clydebank. Son of Frank McCrindle. Injured at Clydebank; died same day at Blawarthill Hospital.

Remembered with honour

GLASGOW CITY, SCOTLAND

I have two but conflicting thoughts about Rememberance Day and the wearing of poppies. Obviously, I feel the same as the people who have posted about not only those connected with Thistle who made the ultimate sacrifice, but all others, both servicemen/women and civilians who died in the Great War and all subsequent conflicts. They died so we could make these statements.

But is it only me who is suspicious of the expectation that we all must wear poppies? Did our sporting teams wear them in the recent past? I can't remember Thistle wearing them on the shirts a few years ago. And the sense that it is somehow unpatriotic not to wear a red emblem as a mark of respect? Some people wear a white poppy as a symbol of their opposition to all wars. Red poppies are linked with Field Marshall Haig whose indifference to the suffering of his men and poor leadership contributed to the slaughter of thousands at the Somme in 1916. I also, probably naively, expect the state to provide care and support for all those who suffered whilst serving their country, and not have to rely on charities for their support. The numbers of ex-servicemen who end up in prison or self-harm after discharge all talk of being cast adrift by the army. Even the US does better in supporting ex-servicemen (veterans).

I have two but conflicting thoughts about Rememberance Day and the wearing of poppies. Obviously, I feel the same as the people who have posted about not only those connected with Thistle who made the ultimate sacrifice, but all others, both servicemen/women and civilians who died in the Great War and all subsequent conflicts. They died so we could make these statements.

But is it only me who is suspicious of the expectation that we all must wear poppies? Did our sporting teams wear them in the recent past? I can't remember Thistle wearing them on the shirts a few years ago. And the sense that it is somehow unpatriotic not to wear a red emblem as a mark of respect? Some people wear a white poppy as a symbol of their opposition to all wars. Red poppies are linked with Field Marshall Haig whose indifference to the suffering of his men and poor leadership contributed to the slaughter of thousands at the Somme in 1916. I also, probably naively, expect the state to provide care and support for all those who suffered whilst serving their country, and not have to rely on charities for their support. The numbers of ex-servicemen who end up in prison or self-harm after discharge all talk of being cast adrift by the army. Even the US does better in supporting ex-servicemen (veterans).

Some good points, there. I actually couldn't believe Cameron's "Outrageous!" comment when the footballing authorities said that political emblems should not be worn on shirts. In other words, everybody must bow to what the UK wants. I'm glad that the best that was given was a compromise.

For the first time in donkeys, this year I didn't wear a poppy, because of the "pop" culture and pressure now surrounding it.

And you're absolutely right, of course, about care for wounded and ill service personnel to be reliant on charities. It's shameful.

I agree 100%. Obviously I share the sentiments of the thread and many of the rememberance activities throughout the country, but the pressure to wear a poppy has become ridiculous at times. Football teams and fans present observe a minutes silence, but putting poppies on shirts isn't really necessary for me. In Scotland there also appears to be an element of points scoring between two football clubs in particular regarding this issue.

Also, I don't see why the X factor and Strictly Come Dancing contestants are required to wear poppies (or fashionable alternatives such as a ring with a massive **** off poppy on it). The audience of Deal or no Deal all wear them, which were most certainly handed out by producers or someone behind the scenes. As those who pile the pressure to wear the poppy would say "It's remembering those who fought to allow us the freedoms we have today", well is the choice of wearing a poppy not allowed?

I never wore a poppy this year or last (but usually make some sort of donation). I was never aware of the white poppy and the difference in meanings between the two until yesterday, so next year I might jump on that bandwagon. Sorry if that sounded like a rant (the middle paragraph probably was), I never intended it to be.