Sports Personality Of The Year

jagscast

Surely Craig Levein is on shortlist for manager/coach of the year.

I'm hoping golf wins the major awards this year.

Darren Clarke - SPOY. (also should add that of the final ten he is the only one who really has a personality!)

Woman Solhiem Cup - Team of the year

Alison Nicols - Coach of the Year

I don't know anything about cycling but sounds like cavendish is favourite? Darren Clarke has won 1 big tournament and done **** all else but drink and smoke cigars and throw the butts on the green (does my tits in, miguel angel jimenez etc) so i pray he won't win it, cant stand him. McIlroy far better contender more consistent better ambassador for the game.

Darren Clarke - SPOY. (also should add that of the final ten he is the only one who really has a personality!)

Woman Solhiem Cup - Team of the year

Alison Nicols - Coach of the Year

Agree with the first two and certainly Clarke is a real personality. Not so sure about the third. :thinking: A good bit nearer home would be My choice

I don't know anything about cycling but sounds like cavendish is favourite? Darren Clarke has won 1 big tournament and done **** all else but drink and smoke cigars and throw the butts on the green (does my tits in, miguel angel jimenez etc) so i pray he won't win it, cant stand him. McIlroy far better contender more consistent better ambassador for the game.

Darren drinks and smokes cigars, as does Miguel Angel Jimenez.....but throw the butts on the green.....give me a break.

If that is what praying is all about, thank feck i'm an atheist!

as am i, i just mean im sick of these "athletes" getting nominated for so called prestigious awards, like phil taylor last year coming second or third, bloody joke. and the throwing the cigars on the course, it does my tits in, i dont see whats so controversial with that? he's won one tournament all year of note, how he'd be considered in front of McIlroy who's been consistently challenging is baffling.

as am i, i just mean im sick of these "athletes" getting nominated for so called prestigious awards, like phil taylor last year coming second or third, bloody joke. and the throwing the cigars on the course, it does my tits in, i dont see whats so controversial with that? he's won one tournament all year of note, how he'd be considered in front of McIlroy who's been consistently challenging is baffling.

May have something to do with his age, how he has came back to win a major after suffering such personal loss.

I've seen Darren play a good few times, but never seen him throw a cigar butt onto the course....or at least leave it there.

You watched Ryder cups? Darren and Miguel are two great ambassadors for golf and in particular European golf.

Don't like him, fair enough. Last I checked it was sports personality of the year. That covers all sports. That therefore gives the likes of Darren or like last year, Phil Taylor a chance. If it was Athlete of the year, you'd have a point. It's not so you don't.

May have something to do with his age, how he has came back to win a major after suffering such personal loss.

I've seen Darren play a good few times, but never seen him throw a cigar butt onto the course....or at least leave it there.

You watched Ryder cups? Darren and Miguel are two great ambassadors for golf and in particular European golf.

Don't like him, fair enough. Last I checked it was sports personality of the year. That covers all sports. That therefore gives the likes of Darren or like last year, Phil Taylor a chance. If it was Athlete of the year, you'd have a point. It's not so you don't.

All good points lenny. I guess I don't have a point then!

Yeah I watch the Ryder cups and love it, great weekend of sport. I appreciate Clarkes wife dying, and him coming from the wilderness to win a competition of such prestige, but I just think modern day sport has moved on from the hurricane higgins george best days. I think Clarke is so popular as people see him as a normal guy, I heard more about how many pints of guiness he drank the night of his victory rather than the victory itself. Maybe we're sacrificing personality for professionalism with the modern day sportsmen/women, as whilst I prefer the rivalry of Federer Nadal, others preferred the McEnroe days when the players were personalities and not the fitness/diet obsessed robots they are nowadays.

Edited by chunky jag

All good points lenny. I guess I don't have a point then!

Yeah I watch the Ryder cups and love it, great weekend of sport. I appreciate Clarkes wife dying, and him coming from the wilderness to win a competition of such prestige, but I just think modern day sport has moved on from the hurricane higgins george best days. I think Clarke is so popular as people see him as a normal guy, I heard more about how many pints of guiness he drank the night of his victory rather than the victory itself. Maybe we're sacrificing personality for professionalism with the modern day sportsmen/women, as whilst I prefer the rivalry of Federer Nadal, others preferred the McEnroe days when the players were personalities and not the fitness/diet obsessed robots they are nowadays.

Now don't get me started on tennis.......Fed, Nadal or Jonny Mac......No contest, Jonny Mac all the way.

You don't know much about Cavendish then I take it. Not only has he a personality but it is refreshingly different from most British sportsmen:

"I say I will win a stage in the Tour de France, because I will. If I didn’t I would be called ‘plucky’. But the fact I say I can and then go out and do it means I am arrogant."

"Patrik Sinkewitz? He was on my team and blatantly cheated. He should never be allowed back in the sport. If I ever see him in the same peloton as me I will jump off my bike, straight onto him and kick the shit out of him."

There realy are only 2 contenders. Clarke and Cavendish. The Clarke story of his wife's cancer through to winning the open is sure to get votes. Just a shame there is another N.Irish golfer on the list to split that vote. If it is a personality then Clarke gets it. If it is sporting acheivement Cavendish has just blown the rest of the world away and in my opinion he has to win the award. The athletes, cricketers, golfers and boxers are just making up numbers. As for Murray, I am a fan, but he has won eff all and has no personality.

You don't know much about Cavendish then I take it. Not only has he a personality but it is refreshingly different from most British sportsmen:

"I say I will win a stage in the Tour de France, because I will. If I didn’t I would be called ‘plucky’. But the fact I say I can and then go out and do it means I am arrogant."

"Patrik Sinkewitz? He was on my team and blatantly cheated. He should never be allowed back in the sport. If I ever see him in the same peloton as me I will jump off my bike, straight onto him and kick the shit out of him."

I am a huge Cavendish fan and you will not find a more honest bloke. That quote is typical of Cav. Mark is the first to admit that he needs his team mates to lead him out before the sprint finish and gives them all the credit.

Cav should have a great chance to retain the World Championship in Limburg, Holland next year. His chances of winning the Olympics depend on how well he deals with 9 laps of Box Hill.

Darren Clarke's golf at the Open was magnificent. If he had putted well, he could have won by several shots. It's a tough choice!

Edited by kni

ADMIN

Why do you allow comments like these to appear on this site? Or do you only respond to those who complain? So much for being a family club eh?

If you see any posts on this site you find offensive, there is a report button below each post. This alerts admin to potentially offensive posts and they will be dealt with.

ADMIN

Why do you allow comments like these to appear on this site? Or do you only respond to those who complain? So much for being a family club eh?

At the risk that I'm being whooshed...

Edited:

Discretion being the better part of valour, I'll save admin the bother

Edited by Norman

do those in Admin didn't find this post offensive?

Judging by the removal of the post in question, I'd say your complaint has been upheld. The forum reflects the views of its users, so in order to judge what the forum users find offensive admin requires the use of the report button, which appears to be highly underused.