Just In

thistle4tw

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good result and great fun in patches but Jackie would have been slaughtered if we'd lost after putting out a team line up that was very unfamiliar. Elliot & Dargo up front, with Cairney Hutton, Rowser and Paton in a loose diamond and a back four of O'Donnell, Balatoni, Archie and Sinclair. Paton playing just in front of the backs actually did a good job. For a smaller guy he wins more than his fair share in the air.

I was very disappointed that Livi failed to make a game of it. They are horrendous to watch, with the big lump up the park their only out ball. It was 2-1 going on 5-0 and we need to convert possession into goals. More early balls in, more shots and a bit more quality (especially from the two full backs today) and we're sorted.

Comfortable. Should have probably had more chances as Livi are quite disorganised. Cairney and Paton both had great games today and for the first hour Dargo was very nifty.

I think this idea of having Paton in front of the back four works really well (even though it shouldn't). McNamara's building up a bit of a habit of finding new and better positions for players having already done it with Cairney and to an extent O'Donnell and Erskine.

Really pleased for Conrad Balatoni scoring a good goal after a bit of a stramash of sorts. A tad lucky with the Deuchar own-goal (a cracking finish :lol: ) and both Balatoni and Archie were completely asleep when they clashed leading to Deuchar's Livi goal but all in all we looked untroubled asides that one move really.

A good 3 points.

Good win and a pleasing performance.Cairney was terrific again and Dargo will add a lot to the side.

Dissapointing not to have scored more though. and in a season of losing bad goals today's was up there with some of the worst.

Don't want to be too negative about a well deserved three point though.Up to fourth.

Cairney was the deserved MOM for me.

Miserable conditions again, though thought we played reasonably well before shooting ourselves in the foot just before half-time.

I felt we should have won more comfortably, though getting the 3 points were very important. Fair play to Balatoni, good volley for his goal.

Moving Paton inside looks to be a good move, temporary as it may be it looks like Kinniburgh will be back soon. O'Donnell gave Livvy all sorts of problems in the first half, though alas second half he was a bit quieter. Still if we can just win 2 games in a row for a wee change, the table may look even better next Saturday night.

Cairney was the deserved MOM for me.

Miserable conditions again, though thought we played reasonably well before shooting ourselves in the foot just before half-time.

I felt we should have won more comfortably, though getting the 3 points were very important. Fair play to Balatoni, good volley for his goal.

Moving Paton inside looks to be a good move, temporary as it may be it looks like Kinniburgh will be back soon. O'Donnell gave Livvy all sorts of problems in the first half, though alas second half he was a bit quieter. Still if we can just win 2 games in a row for a wee change, the table may look even better next Saturday night.

honestly I thought MoM should have gone to Paul Paton. As good as Cairney was, I thought Paton was immense defensively- snuffed out anything Livi had to offer and the real reason we were seldom under any prrssure today

Good performance. Cairney and Paton were great. Paton maybe is better in defensive midfield as he doensn't have the pace or confidence to beat his man on the outside. His tackling, fitness and aggression suit the inside well though. O'Donnell was a bit dodgy at RB, but pleased with the result and think dargo and elliot could do well together.

Delighted with result and overall performance today.

We really should have won more comfortably. Some very good performances out there today. Paton , Cairney, Rowser and Dargo were stand outs. Thought we out fought and out played Livi.

Lost a bad goal, personally though fox should have taken command and just cleared everything out.

If you all don't mind, i'll post something a bit personal. My 3 year old son was one of today's mascots. I haven't felt such pride. The players were superb with him as were all the staff at the club. Just a fantastic day. So proud to be a Jag.

We should have won that by more today. Cairney was excellent throughout; O’Donnell caused livi a lot of problems (particularly in the first half).

I thought the diamond formation worked well, Paton mops up well in front the defence and Cairney central role means he get more involved in the play.

The only downside is again our strikers failed to score but if we keep playing like this then I am sure it will come. Dargo played well with some intelligent play, still does not look fully fit though.

Comfortable. Should have probably had more chances as Livi are quite disorganised. Cairney and Paton both had great games today and for the first hour Dargo was very nifty.

I think this idea of having Paton in front of the back four works really well (even though it shouldn't). McNamara's building up a bit of a habit of finding new and better positions for players having already done it with Cairney and to an extent O'Donnell and Erskine.

Really pleased for Conrad Balatoni scoring a good goal after a bit of a stramash of sorts. A tad lucky with the Deuchar own-goal (a cracking finish :lol: ) and both Balatoni and Archie were completely asleep when they clashed leading to Deuchar's Livi goal but all in all we looked untroubled asides that one move really.

A good 3 points.

Yes it was definitely a stramash!

Cairney fantastic again, loved the way dargo spent the whole game on he shoulder of the last livi defender, elliott was always a yard or two too deep.

Very pleaing first half and well deserved three points.

Always had a feeling dr goals would score for thistle

That flick from Dargo to give Cairney a shot that went just wide was class

We really should have won more comfortably. Some very good performances out there today. Paton , Cairney, Rowser and Dargo were stand outs. Thought we out fought and out played Livi.

Lost a bad goal, personally though fox should have taken command and just cleared everything out.

If you all don't mind, i'll post something a bit personal. My 3 year old son was one of today's mascots. I haven't felt such pride. The players were superb with him as were all the staff at the club. Just a fantastic day. So proud to be a Jag.

Lenny- he was really cute. Hope he enjoyed his day!

• Members

First half was the best from us for a long time I thought. Totally dominated the middle of the park. Hutton and particularly Cairney were running them ragged and O'Donnel raiding down the left really had them on the rocks. Great finish from Conrad for the first goal, the other two goals were all about the wind though. Deuchar's first for us (and from a corner :D) looked to be going well beyond the back post till the wind caught it with Deuchar already committed, it cushioned nicely off his head and into the back of the net. His second a free kick, from the opposite side of the park, looked as if it was going to be easily headed clear by Archie or Conrad when once again the wind caught the ball and made it drop much quicker causing a bit of panic between our central defenders, and as both tried to slide in and clear the ball it cannoned off them and fell nicely for Deuchar to slide in and blast it home. Fox had no chance.

Second half for me was a bit disappointing after such a good first half. If Livvy hadn't scored right on the break, I think we could have gone on and scored a few more. Their midfield tightened up and didn't llow Hutton the same posession he used so well in the first half and O'Donnel also couldn't get the same space he had in the first. The Livvy number 4 started running the middle of the park in the second I thought, and was by far their best player. Livvy had lots of nice passing phases but failed to do anything with their posession.

Good win though, but it could have been more comfortable.

I'm delighted the match turned out to be fitting for the occasion, great day all round!

Good analysis Will, pretty much how i saw it. Dargo offers us something different as well as his experience in directing Elliot.

Don't wish to moan but the officiating was again poor, for instances 1. Livi goal came from a soft free kick in the third minute of added time when there were no stoppages in the half 2. Allowing the Livi 'wall' at 7 yards on more than one occasion 3. Awarding a bye-kick when the Livi defender put it out for a corner.