Rumours

Lionel J. Botch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think there are way better right backs than Paul Paton in the lower three leagues. I think the position he's playing in this last few weeks suits him better. Ideally suited to his aggression and he's shown that he can pass the ball effectively as well.

As a right back, I don't think we'd miss him. As a defensive midfielder, we definitely would miss him. He and Cairney are our top two players at the moment and we'd be in big trouble if the Club decided to cash in on them in January rather than lose them for nothing in June. I'd like to think the Club are in negotiations with their agents to extend their current contracts.

Just seen this on http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

18 Dec 2011 12:15:57

Apparently partick thistle defender paul Paton will sign for either dunfermline or Inverness ct on a pre contract. His agent said 4 sfl1 teams are chasing him. Wouldn't mind him at hibs!

Thoughts?

A load of rubbish or the real reason behind this story?

Just seen this on http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

18 Dec 2011 12:15:57

Apparently partick thistle defender paul Paton will sign for either dunfermline or Inverness ct on a pre contract. His agent said 4 sfl1 teams are chasing him. Wouldn't mind him at hibs!

Thoughts?

We seem to becoming a feeder club for Dunfermline if it's them he goes to

I've got a bad back at the minute and can't sit for too long, so I've not been to a game since Ross County home defeat, but unless there's been some minor miracle since I've been out of action then I'd be amazed to see PP in the SPL next season. Yes it's a dummy league, but he hardly stands out at this level. He's a decent enough player defensively, but doesn't offer enough going forward for an SPL team to be interested surely? Then there's the age old issue of his one footedness which has been covered enough over the years.

Saying that, Jim McIntyre did sign Buchanan and Boyle, so he obviously has issues with his scouts and/or his own judgement of players because they two were just as average as Paton is.

Paul Cairney is the only player I'd think SPL teams would be interested in out of current crop.

I think there are way better right backs than Paul Paton in the lower three leagues. I think the position he's playing in this last few weeks suits him better. Ideally suited to his aggression and he's shown that he can pass the ball effectively as well.

As a right back, I don't think we'd miss him. As a defensive midfielder, we definitely would miss him. He and Cairney are our top two players at the moment and we'd be in big trouble if the Club decided to cash in on them in January rather than lose them for nothing in June. I'd like to think the Club are in negotiations with their agents to extend their current contracts.

Have to disagree here Willjag, I don't feel that Paton will ever be a defensive midfielder. In my opinion he doesn't read the game well enough or have the passing ability to unlock a defence. Far rather see him storming down the wing from the right back position.

Wouldnt surprise me tbh..the standard of scottish football is so bad these days..as has been argued before..with the exception of the ugly sisters(and even they have been in decline for years)...theres no much difference between the rest of the SPL and the 1St Division, The problem is getting there!

Have to disagree here Willjag, I don't feel that Paton will ever be a defensive midfielder. In my opinion he doesn't read the game well enough or have the passing ability to unlock a defence. Far rather see him storming down the wing from the right back position.

Storming down the wing to about 10 yards inside the opposition half then releasing a pass/cross that will unlock a defence?

I certainly take your point about Paton's limited ability in unlocking a defence from midfield but I do think he reads the game very well from a defensive point of view. I grant you regardless of where Paton plays he won't contribute positively to our current failure to provide killer passes to our forwards but providing such decent defensive cover in midfield that Paul currently does should provide more latitude for other midfielders to be more incisive.

It's hard to be critical of guys like Cairney & Rowson given their standard of performances this season but the fact remains our forwards are getting starved of the service they need to score a suitable amount of goals. I thought the diamond shape with Rowson & Hutton in front of Paton with Cairney pushed up looked promising. Trouble may well be that replacing Hutton with Erskine or pulling back Cairney to partner Rowson will prove insufficient. I can only hope that from somewhere within the squad namely Bannigan, MacBeth, Flannigan & possibly Campbell one of those guys will provide the answer.

Dunfermline are utterly rank at the moment and we are probably a better side than them just now. The goals they lost against Hearts at the weekend were some of the poorest I've seen in a long time. At this moment in time they look certain for the drop so I would think twice about signing if I was Paul. In saying that his major concern is probably finance which is understandable.

Twaddle, Boyle, Tuffey and (a fit) Buchanan were all better quality players than Paton and they haven't made it.

The only one to actually make a successful 'next step' in recent times has been Harkins and he was on a different planet to Paton in terms of ability.

I don't really care if he stays or goes, any fee for him will be miniscule.

I heard a rumour that Twaddle is unhappy at Rochdale (manager hates him) and is hoping to move back to Scotland. Supposedly he is looking at Thistle to try and get us to sign him. Don't know if we will sign him though, always thought he was decent at going forward, although he ducked out a lot of 50/50s.

Source: Guy in my work is friends with Twaddle.

Re Twaddle -- As manager at Rochdale hates him, then the his problem is solved. Rochdale have binned their manager!!!

:lol:

We have two left backs already. If anyone is offering us money for Sinclair and Twaddle is available then I think he might be worth looking at, but if we're keeping Sinclair (which I imagine we are as he has 1.5 years to go on his contract) then I wouldn't bother.

We have two left backs already. If anyone is offering us money for Sinclair and Twaddle is available then I think he might be worth looking at, but if we're keeping Sinclair (which I imagine we are as he has 1.5 years to go on his contract) then I wouldn't bother.

Not that the rumour is likely to come true but Twaddle is quite decent as a left-sided centre back and with Archie getting on a bit would be a decent signing, especially as he can cover for left back too.

Not that the rumour is likely to come true but Twaddle is quite decent as a left-sided centre back and with Archie getting on a bit would be a decent signing, especially as he can cover for left back too.

As I don't know him personally, I am only going on what my work colleague is saying, but he is definitely hoping to move back here so you never know. He will probably be looking at a few clubs up north.

Heard that Sinclair is away to an English Championship side for £175,000 in the window, apparently it's a done deal.

Source is a colleague in work who is a Celtic season ticket holder, who has little interest in Thistle, but knows I am a fan and he is alledgedly friendly with someone who works within Thistle. Was told the name of the club but he forgot it (as he wasn't that interested), think's it's one of the London teams (Watford or Palace).

Not putting my hat on this - 3rd hand information. He knew it was the left-back, but had to be promted for Sinclair's name. However I've never really discussed Thistle with him, so it was a bit strange as it was him that brought it up and wasn't really joking..

Bit dubious in my opinion.

Heard that Sinclair is away to an English Championship side for £175,000 in the window, apparently it's a done deal.

Could be nothing but could be he heard something and is filling in gaps (or chinese whispers kind of thing).

Of course it's likely there's been a few enquiries about him, even some discussion about how much we'd be looking for .. and that means all sorts of rumours can arise with a basis on fact but reading more into the situation than is really there.

I'd like to see young players develop and become established in the team but with our money problems it's more likely he'll go sooner than later. At least we have a replacement - Lindsay doesn't seem to have done much wrong when he's had the occasional outing though he won't offer the same attacking threat Sinclair does.

If a team is willing to part with £175k for a player as raw as Sinclair, I'd bite their hand off.

I'd definitely take Twads if he wanted to come back. The guy was such an important part of our team, not only defensively but in an attacking sense; every goal kick was aimed out to the left side for Twads to head on. He overlapped better than Sinclair does and his crossing, in my opinion, was better and more consistent. And, as someone has already said, he isn't too shabby at centre-half. Take him back in a heartbeat.

But this is all wild speculation. I very much doubt, but will be ecstatic, if any team is willing to pay that amount for Sinclair.

Source is a colleague in work who is a Celtic season ticket holder, who has little interest in Thistle, but knows I am a fan and he is alledgedly friendly with someone who works within Thistle. Was told the name of the club but he forgot it (as he wasn't that interested), think's it's one of the London teams (Watford or Palace).

Not putting my hat on this - 3rd hand information. He knew it was the left-back, but had to be promted for Sinclair's name. However I've never really discussed Thistle with him, so it was a bit strange as it was him that brought it up and wasn't really joking..