Just In

davemains

I'd agree with you as long as that's what happens. Heard a few shouts at stewart today that were , in my view, abuse and were un called for. Saying "your a f*****g waste of space, is not what i want to hear from the stands.

In saying that, there wasn't a lot of that and in general I'd say most people were behind the team today.

Take O'Donnell as an example today. Had a tough first half but i think most will agree he had a much stronger second half. He looks a little short of confidence but want to congratulate him on sticking at it today. second half was much improved.

Spot on, O'Donnell had a very poor game though the big plus was at no point did he hide, which says a lot for him. Stuck at it, even though nothing seemed to go right for him.

The first half was an eyesore but given the conditions it was never going to be pretty. A little surprised - what am I saying nothing should surprise me here - to see Stewart coming in for some stick as I thought he had a decent game. For someone not known for running his socks off, I thought he did just that. Other positive was seeing Balatoni signing off on a good note, another player who has come in for some O.T.T. abuse, though has shown guts to stick at it.

Summary, great game .. definitely not; Worth the money - for quality again a no, though walking out with three points felt a lot better than when walking out after the Raith game.

We have a good recent record up in Dingwall, so hopefully it will be a happy start to the New Year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for the most part there's some hair-splitting going on here. We do have a young team - that means we'll be inconsistent throughout the season. The younger players are the ones who need the fans' encouragement and support, and whilst I'll agree that every paying fan has a right to express their opinion, booing an iffy performance by a young player is not going to make them play better.

I'm excited that we have a team with some potential, rather than a team of journeymen with one or two possible stars - if you took Rowser & Archie out of the team, you'd have an average age somewhere about 21 - Surely that bodes well for the future?

I think we do need one more older head up front, but I wouldnt be opposed to giving someone else who's the right age a chance from a lower division.

I'm hoping for a solid 3rd place finish and a wee cup run - next season is the one where we need to mount a solid challenge

A post which, started off well and portrayed an accurate description of the game but ruined by some ridiculous comments at the end.

Do you think you have some divine right to come on here and call fans "brain dead ****wits"? Fair doos, O'Donnel is a young player (we all know that), was on the books at Celtic but his form recently hasn't been good at all. Against Raith he was pretty dire and in the first half it was the same again. If people from the stand show some frustration at his inability to pass the ball to a team mate from ten yards away or, for an example against Raith get into to good positions and put about 5 terrible crosses then the fans have every right to moan.

People are paying £17 quid here to watch this. When the simple basics are not being done and some shown to be sort of struggle then the fans have a right to moan.

Going into the New Year I think, by now the fan base have clocked on that we have a young team. We have had and will expect to have some inconsistency in performances for the remainder of the season. If O'Donnell continues the way he's going then he'll be out the first XI, that's football. I like him and I think he has potential.

The guy is used to pressure and an expectancy in his own performances from his days at Celtic.

If fans are not in your mind allowed to show some frustration at a players performance then what's the point in them turning up at all?

smeatojag's post earlier sums it up perfectly.

I think I have the right to "come on here"and say whatever I please although I don't consider it to be God given and yes, I do believe fans have the right to moan just as I have every right to moan about their incessant loud-mouthed bloody moaning. Why do some fans believe that the mood of those around then should be dragged down to their level?

I was also frustrated by the performance but chose not to hurl abuse at a young boy who was doing his best as this would obviously be counter productive and therefore an act of total ****wittery.

I've been supporting Thistle for 40 years now and I don't want to do the "I'm old and therefore wise and should not be questioned" routine but hear this: IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO BOO A PARTICK THISTLE TEAM BEFORE HALF TIME WHEN WE ARE NOT EVEN LOSING THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY SUPPORTING THE WRONG TEAM! Toughen up boys because it's always been like this.

Anyway, I'm away to read my programme again and bask in the glory of another 3 points. We won, remember?

I think I have the right to "come on here"and say whatever I please although I don't consider it to be God given and yes, I do believe fans have the right to moan just as I have every right to moan about their incessant loud-mouthed bloody moaning. Why do some fans believe that the mood of those around then should be dragged down to their level?

I was also frustrated by the performance but chose not to hurl abuse at a young boy who was doing his best as this would obviously be counter productive and therefore an act of total ****wittery.

I've been supporting Thistle for 40 years now and I don't want to do the "I'm old and therefore wise and should not be questioned" routine but hear this: IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO BOO A PARTICK THISTLE TEAM BEFORE HALF TIME WHEN WE ARE NOT EVEN LOSING THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY SUPPORTING THE WRONG TEAM! Toughen up boys because it's always been like this.

Anyway, I'm away to read my programme again and bask in the glory of another 3 points. We won, remember?

I do feel I have the right to moan when no one will take responsibility to crack a shot off, praise when doing well moan when not doing well is that not how it goes in life or have the PC mob taken that away

Did anyone else see Rowson and Paton having a word with O'Donnell when we got a corner? It was nice to see them speaking to him, he must have been low on confidence.

It's the 1st I've seen O'Donnell and although his touch at times let him down he's a grafter and is always getting involved I think he could turn good for us

I do feel I have the right to moan when no one will take responsibility to crack a shot off, praise when doing well moan when not doing well is that not how it goes in life or have the PC mob taken that away

1. Nobody has questioned your right to moan.

2. If you do well at your work/college/school you expect to be praised. If you made a mistake and people started shouting foul- mouthed abuse at you then you would complain to your boss/union official/headmaster/Maw. So, no it is not just how it goes in life.

3. What the hell does PC have to do with anything?

IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO BOO A PARTICK THISTLE TEAM BEFORE HALF TIME WHEN WE ARE NOT EVEN LOSING THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY SUPPORTING THE WRONG TEAM! Toughen up boys because it's always been like this.

Absolutely.

If it's personal and actual abuse at him and nothing to do with his performance then I agree with you. Myself and the fans around me at times were disgruntled at the situations which occurred - losing the ball and just not doing the basics. I guess it depends on what our definitions of abuse are at a player at a football match. If a player puts in a terrible cross, corner or gives the ball away cheaply then is "that's pish!" abuse? I was guilt of that yesterday.

The thing is with O'Donnell and every other young player is that we want them all to do well and progress. Their form will dip now and again but their playing at a better level now and a club where money is so tight that he has become, pretty much straight away an important player and threat for us down the right flank.

O'Donnell's got talent and when on form can be a very exciting player. When games against Raith and the one yesterday are as poor as they were you want your exciting players to try and offer some form of creative spark or entertainment. With that shows no signs of happening then the fans get frustrated and impatient. That's my view on this O'Donnell scenario right now. If it was another player doing the same thing then he'd be in the same position. O'Donnell's used to pressure from his days at Celtic to go out and win every game and cup they competed in. Yep, this level is a lot tougher but I expect him to come through this. I don't think McNamara would have signed him if he wasn't capable to making the step up.

Like I said at the start, if its nasty abuse and please don't use that Culter post match video as an example (not directed at you Walter) then that is out of order. I didn't hear any of that though from where I was in the JHS.

Obviously the conditions affected the game and both teams couldn't adjust in the first half. I thought the booing wasn't necessary, but I've heard far worse with better performances. I don't want to dwell any longer on the first half.

I think Jackie got it right at half time - didn't really change anything much, but got the midfield playing much more direct balls, either through the middle or over the top and the wind often worked in our favour. in saying that, we still tried to walk the ball in whenever we got it in the final third. Sinclair would have been MoM if it wasn't for his dreadful crossing, and Cairney had a good game. Stewart also played reasonably well, but needs to work on decision making. To be honest I forgot the defence was playing in the second half, didn't notice them much at all. I think that says more about Queens than us though.

In the end it seemed fairly comfortable, not that we were amazing, but that Queens had nothing.

Obviously the conditions affected the game and both teams couldn't adjust in the first half. I thought the booing wasn't necessary, but I've heard far worse with better performances. I don't want to dwell any longer on the first half.

I think Jackie got it right at half time - didn't really change anything much, but got the midfield playing much more direct balls, either through the middle or over the top and the wind often worked in our favour. in saying that, we still tried to walk the ball in whenever we got it in the final third. Sinclair would have been MoM if it wasn't for his dreadful crossing, and Cairney had a good game. Stewart also played reasonably well, but needs to work on decision making. To be honest I forgot the defence was playing in the second half, didn't notice them much at all. I think that says more about Queens than us though.

In the end it seemed fairly comfortable, not that we were amazing, but that Queens had nothing.

Why doesn't this appear to be improving?

If it's personal and actual abuse at him and nothing to do with his performance then I agree with you. Myself and the fans around me at times were disgruntled at the situations which occurred - losing the ball and just not doing the basics. I guess it depends on what our definitions of abuse are at a player at a football match. If a player puts in a terrible cross, corner or gives the ball away cheaply then is "that's pish!" abuse? I was guilt of that yesterday.

The thing is with O'Donnell and every other young player is that we want them all to do well and progress. Their form will dip now and again but their playing at a better level now and a club where money is so tight that he has become, pretty much straight away an important player and threat for us down the right flank.

O'Donnell's got talent and when on form can be a very exciting player. When games against Raith and the one yesterday are as poor as they were you want your exciting players to try and offer some form of creative spark or entertainment. With that shows no signs of happening then the fans get frustrated and impatient. That's my view on this O'Donnell scenario right now. If it was another player doing the same thing then he'd be in the same position. O'Donnell's used to pressure from his days at Celtic to go out and win every game and cup they competed in. Yep, this level is a lot tougher but I expect him to come through this. I don't think McNamara would have signed him if he wasn't capable to making the step up.

Like I said at the start, if its nasty abuse and please don't use that Culter post match video as an example (not directed at you Walter) then that is out of order. I didn't hear any of that though from where I was in the JHS.

I think this is where the point gets lost when "we" discuss "abuse" on here.

I'd be surprised if anyone didn't think making a disgruntled comment was wrong. Be very surprised if none of us at one stage or another haven't made a disgruntled comment.

I did hear a couple of comments aimed at Stewart yesterday that were out of order. Don't get me wrong I've heard far worse but do feel some times there are things said towards certain players that is just wrong.

I don't agree that you pay your money you can say what you like and I think that mentality has to be driven out of the game. Didn't think yesterday was too bad. Do wish we had created a better atmosphere though. Singing never started until very late in the game.We have a part to play to lift the team morale and confidence. Think sometimes we forget that.

Why doesn't this appear to be improving?

Well nobody's crossing was going to improve in yesterday's conditions.

It was tho' refreshing to see a goal come for once as a result of a well taken free kick. I'm guessing that when Sinclair starts laying on better crosses and regularly striking perfectly placed deadballs he'll be with another club.

• Members

I reckon O'Donnell had made things tough for himself with his impressive early appearances for the team, now we are all expecting him to perform at that level week in, week out. That's just not going to happen with a 19 year old. Same goes for the vast majority of our team this season. Archie, Rowson, Paton, Cairney and Fox are all pretty consistent. Doolan and Erskine are almost there, the rest are still building that into their game and it takes at least a couple of seasons of regular football to reach that point.

Both teams were crap on Saturday. Particularly so in the first half when I don't think either of the teams out together more then three consecutive passes which led in turn to frustration spilling over from the crowd onto the pitch. I thought our style of play was better suited to the direction we played in the second half and we were much better then.

Was good to see Doolan find the net again and equally good to see him salute the fans. I feel this brings the fans much nearer to the team on the park when we celebrate together. More please. Not a single failure in the second half.

I reckon O'Donnell had made things tough for himself with his impressive early appearances for the team, now we are all expecting him to perform at that level week in, week out. That's just not going to happen with a 19 year old. Same goes for the vast majority of our team this season. Archie, Rowson, Paton, Cairney and Fox are all pretty consistent. Doolan and Erskine are almost there, the rest are still building that into their game and it takes at least a couple of seasons of regular football to reach that point.

Was good to see Doolan find the net again and equally good to see him salute the fans. I feel this brings the fans much nearer to the team on the park when we celebrate together. More please. Not a single failure in the second half.

Agree with that 100% :thumbsup2:

Edited by jaggybunnet