Great Interview With David Beattie

Yellow & Redneck

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-first/partick-thistle/295233-partick-thistle-chairman-says-dealing-with-clubs-financial-issues-will-be-very-challenging/

Good video interview with the Chairman as he addresses some really important issues.

Once again he reitirated the importance of getting people through the gates to ensure full time football.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note I think it's fair to say that for me personally David Beattie instills a lot of faith. He is obviously dedicate to the club, and it's long term future. There can be no doubt that he is a smart businessman and will do all that is possible to firm up a main sponsor plus any additional revenue streams in the near future.

He also seems to have his feet on the ground: he is under no illusion that we can not mount a title bid at this moment in time. However it does seem that Jackie is here for the long term now.

It's a nice, big piece, but I don't think it says anything particularly interesting beyound the idea of the sub-group. He may have a track record in business that previous club custodians were lacking, but he isn't really saying anything that hasn't been said before.

Agreed, but if the figures shown at the Meet the Board Night are to be believed...he's (and others) doing something that hasn't been done for a while. Also, it's been done with less money coming through the turnstyles than previous seasons. I agree with the OS too, I have much more faith in the current board than the previous one...time will tell if that is justified or not.

I think Beattie has the right idea. I only wish he had taken charge at least 5 years ago when we still had a decent fanbase. We could have been where St. Mirren are now.

My biggest worry is that nothing and no one can save us now unless someone wins the euro millions.

We still had average crowds of 2500 five years ago. The real drop off came last season when we dropped 500 to 2000 in one season. I think we'll be about 2000 for the season again this year, although we're at 2500 right now. We'll have a few rubbish attendances from now cos there's nothin to play for.

Edited by PaleGreySky

I'd like to think a few more performances like the second half against Dundee might get a few more through the gate. A mate of mine, Celtic fan by trade, came along with his wean and really enjoyed it - although complained about the weather! It's acually that simple - we don't even have to win, but give people a bit of excitement and maybe, just maybe....

I'd like to think a few more performances like the second half against Dundee might get a few more through the gate. A mate of mine, Celtic fan by trade, came along with his wean and really enjoyed it - although complained about the weather! It's acually that simple - we don't even have to win, but give people a bit of excitement and maybe, just maybe....

With everything that has happened regardign the financial blows and that times, economically are tough and are going to get tougher to the point of being frightening, I believe Thistle are one of a few clubs in Scotland that are on an excrutiating slow death and will disappear in the next 10 years.

Can't link it for some reason, but at the end of that video there's an interview with Brown McMaster about drawing Rangers in the cup where he states (can't remember word for word) that, every full-time 1st division club has to budget for a loss of £250k per annum. No wonder we are & were in the shit.

I know we budgeted for that loss every year, wrongly, but to say just to survive every club has to is nonsense.

With everything that has happened regardign the financial blows and that times, economically are tough and are going to get tougher to the point of being frightening, I believe Thistle are one of a few clubs in Scotland that are on an excrutiating slow death and will disappear in the next 10 years.

I don't think so. Basically we've been skint for decades. I can remember old Evening Times articles in the 1960s about how broke Thistle were, and that we needed more people through the gates. If a club of Thistle's stature was to die then it would only be because too many so-called supporters abandoned them for other interests.

I don't think so. Basically we've been skint for decades. I can remember old Evening Times articles in the 1960s about how broke Thistle were, and that we needed more people through the gates. If a club of Thistle's stature was to die then it would only be because too many so-called supporters abandoned them for other interests.

OK, we survive! we will end up a bigger rump of a club than we are and will be in the same company such as Clyde etc. I agree weve been skint for decades and remember we nearly went bust not so long back. But thats the point, we stumble from one year to another without making inroads. Constantly have boards who make a pigs ear of it, appoint managerial flops and so we get deeper and deeper into it, There is only so long we can shore up the leaking dykes before they collapse.

Yes, of course we need more fans, but its a vicious circle. Generally they will get more bums on seats of the Mausoleum that Firhill is these days, if they are showing some degree of success, but there has been scarce little lately.Wether we like it or not,(and I dint) there are "Jags"?? fans who readily go and support the Scumbags because they win matches.

While we are consistently putting in mediocre peformances this season, its not going to change. And therein is the conundrum of the situation. We have NO money, things are getting worse,financially,the quality of players we have gets worse.Anything gem we pick up, we will have to take the first decent offer, because we cant afford to pay them good wages. The vicious circle kicks in.

The disease thats been at Firhill since Ive been a boy is a slow cancerous death, and Ive supported Thistle since 1969.Yes we jump up now and again and have glorious moments, but that is rarer than than the Scumbags losing matches in SPL.

It breaks my heart as my family have a line of Thistle fans away back to before our 1921 Cup glory, so cut me and I bleed red, yellow and black.

I always have hope, thats us Jags fans, but the worry is frighteningly palatable at the moment and with the scary financial situation of the worlds economy, showing no signs of abating for a while, it is going to get even more difficult.

We ALL hope for a sugar daddy, but in Scotland only a few clubs interest those kind of people, and Thistle are NOT one of them.

I think Beattie has the right idea. I only wish he had taken charge at least 5 years ago when we still had a decent fanbase. We could have been where St. Mirren are now.

My biggest worry is that nothing and no one can save us now unless someone wins the euro millions.

Would agree with this and have to add that all involved with PTFC have to realise fans are fed up of watching meaningless games from xmas onwards....the crowds will take a severe dip from now until the end of the season....if we were still in the hunt at this point you would see the crowds increase no doubt about it...Sadly due to finances we are doomed to seasons of nothingness for the foreseeable future :-(

Would agree with this and have to add that all involved with PTFC have to realise fans are fed up of watching meaningless games from xmas onwards....the crowds will take a severe dip from now until the end of the season....if we were still in the hunt at this point you would see the crowds increase no doubt about it...Sadly due to finances we are doomed to seasons of nothingness for the foreseeable future :-(

Sorry Neil , am no buyin that. Meaningless games? Where did this term come from? Thistle v anyone for anything (3 points or just the satisfaction of a win) cannot be meaningless imo. Just because we might only finish 4th (which would be a better finish than many were predicting...much better) doesn't equate to meaningless.

Also, we were still in the hunt a couple of seasons ago and I don't recall any great increase in attendances...at least not at Firhill anyway. Sadly it will be the hardcore fans that will keep turning up, probably the same hardcore fans that will go down with the sinking ship.

*disclaimer: not intending to turn this into a 'who's a better fan than who?' debate btw :thumbsup2:

I suppose the only way to counter this is the current BoD preventing the Club from posting a loss and breaking even.

A change in the mentality of the support is required too. All this "we won't be here in 10 years", "dead duck" and "sinking ship" doesn't help does it?

It's almost as if the Club recovering from the financial position it's in has almost been written off before those in charge are given sufficient time to make it better.

Edited by northernsoul

Sorry Neil , am no buyin that. Meaningless games? Where did this term come from? Thistle v anyone for anything (3 points or just the satisfaction of a win) cannot be meaningless imo. Just because we might only finish 4th (which would be a better finish than many were predicting...much better) doesn't equate to meaningless.

Also, we were still in the hunt a couple of seasons ago and I don't recall any great increase in attendances...at least not at Firhill anyway. Sadly it will be the hardcore fans that will keep turning up, probably the same hardcore fans that will go down with the sinking ship.

*disclaimer: not intending to turn this into a 'who's a better fan than who?' debate btw :thumbsup2:

Sorry have to disagree,to me 4th in the first division is [email protected] many teams have overtaken us in recent years it is scary....I have thought a lot about PTFC this season and I am now of the opinion we made a real error appointing Jackie as boss, I mean how many good managers are there that come straight from being a player??? he's never even been a number 2 before and I think this shows.

I also know that Jackie is going nowhere in the near future so all you can do is hope for some kind of miracle next season.

I will still be following the Jags but as the years go on my attendance at games is becoming lower and lower...it also saddens me that I was unable to make my wee boy into a diehard Jag...he fell asleep at a game last season..kinda tells a story i think! nevertheless i will not give up and will try again next season!!

That brings me back to the "meaningless games" it would appear yet again we are building for next season which is the same pi sh we've been fed for years

• Members

I recall before the start of last season, some Jags fans I know met Ian McCall when he was still boss and told them that he expected Thistle to struggle and probably get relegated last year because his budget had been cut so much. By the sounds of things, Jackie has an even tighter budget again and he's used it to fill the squad with younger players. With only Archie and Rowser in the veteran stage of their careers, I think it's understandable why our results have varied so much this season and although I couldn't understand it at the time, I now realise why he was so keen to bring in Neil McCann at the start of the season. I think we're probably about two good experienced players short of a top 3 side.

As for meaningless games... at this stage of the season a few bad results could mean that the rest of the season could have some VERY meaningful games that could see the crowds plummet even further. The team needs the support now.

I recall before the start of last season, some Jags fans I know met Ian McCall when he was still boss and told them that he expected Thistle to struggle and probably get relegated last year because his budget had been cut so much. By the sounds of things, Jackie has an even tighter budget again and he's used it to fill the squad with younger players. With only Archie and Rowser in the veteran stage of their careers, I think it's understandable why our results have varied so much this season and although I couldn't understand it at the time, I now realise why he was so keen to bring in Neil McCann at the start of the season. I think we're probably about two good experienced players short of a top 3 side.

As for meaningless games... at this stage of the season a few bad results could mean that the rest of the season could have some VERY meaningful games that could see the crowds plummet even further. The team needs the support now.

Top 3 side!!!! how about we try and get a couple of players that can win us the league???? feck me if falkirk can do it why cant we???

Is not the case that their squad is younger than ours and budget the same?

I have to say, if there was ever a time where the club really needs the supporters, it’s now! I do sympathise with the people who say that they really do not want to pay to watch meaningless matches, which usually consist of hoofing the ball up and down the park for 90mins. However, that attitude, wrong or right, is contributing greatly to the downfall of the club. Firhill is a morgue on matchdays, and that’s not just because of the dwindling attendances. The fact that now on most matchdays we only open one stand, we kind of look like a rich mans Dumbarton or East Fife. In short, the club is being choked.

But I think in times like these, when the going gets tough, just how loyal a clubs support really is comes to fruition. With a rookie manager this season, I have to admit I am very disappointed with the level of support he has gotten, both in confidence, and in the fact that a lot of Jags fans won’t turn out to the games to watch the side.

I really do fear the worst for this club. I think Davie Beattie is doing his job…now it’s up to the fans.

I just don't agree with this meaningless games point of view. The remaining games have plenty of meaning as they will determine where we finish in the table, the level of prize money we receive, if we enter the Scottish Cup at a later round next season, are seeded in the league cup plus each home game is an opportunity for the club to generate funds and the more fans who attend the more funds are generated.

If you cannot, or decide not to, attend games for the remainder of the season remember that you can still help generate funds for our club through easysearch/easyfundraising (see the pinned thread at top of page for further info).

I just don't agree with this meaningless games point of view. The remaining games have plenty of meaning as they will determine where we finish in the table, the level of prize money we receive, if we enter the Scottish Cup at a later round next season, are seeded in the league cup plus each home game is an opportunity for the club to generate funds and the more fans who attend the more funds are generated.

If you cannot, or decide not to, attend games for the remainder of the season remember that you can still help generate funds for our club through easysearch/easyfundraising (see the pinned thread at top of page for further info).

Nobody cares about the difference finishing between 5th and 6th place and missing out on 400 quid as a result. Really only the worst kind of pathetic fanboy would give a shit about that.

Yeah I'm sure the £1.93 generated by this search engine thing will make a massive difference.

Also, suggested earlier, great interview? Wit?! Beattie tells us nothing new, nor does he tell us how he plans to plug the cash gap the Warriors and Macb losses will create, despite his confidence that everythings gonnae be awrite....

He talks about McNamara bringing entertaining football, the last two games I've been to are as bad as any football matches I've been to for so called entertainment.

Just fed up wae the whole thing really, and fitbaw in general. Overpriced, same big teams win everything and Thistle are a joke.

Nobody cares about the difference finishing between 5th and 6th place and missing out on 400 quid as a result. Really only the worst kind of pathetic fanboy would give a shit about that.

Yeah I'm sure the £1.93 generated by this search engine thing will make a massive difference.

Also, suggested earlier, great interview? Wit?! Beattie tells us nothing new, nor does he tell us how he plans to plug the cash gap the Warriors and Macb losses will create, despite his confidence that everythings gonnae be awrite....

He talks about McNamara bringing entertaining football, the last two games I've been to are as bad as any football matches I've been to for so called entertainment.

Just fed up wae the whole thing really, and fitbaw in general. Overpriced, same big teams win everything and Thistle are a joke.

Have to agree with you here. Easyfundraising in my opinion is something that youth groups and charities do, not a supposed professional football club. How did the rag collection go anyway?