Tennis

Mr Bunny

I was at Wimbledon on Tuesday when this match started...I'm not a huge tennis fan but was happy to take up a friend's offer of a ticket at Court 1.

Respect is due to Isner & Mahut for their physical endurance and even more for maintaining their competitive spirit for that length of time - it eventually ended 70-68 to Isner. However, tennis is a non-contact sport and they get to sit down & have a drink every few minutes so I think some of the disparaging remarks about the fitness levels in football are a bit off the mark.

This epic battle was also a reflection of what to my untrained eye is a major failing in mens' tennis...they are phenomenally powerful servers but not very good at returning. It actually makes for a dull spectacle with rallies at a premium & most points decided by either a service winner or the receiver failing to get the ball back in play.

Andy Murray is a welcome contrast to the hit-every-shot-as-hard-as-you-can attitude...even I could see his special talent is his ability to vary the pace of his shots. As with any sport, give me guile & craft over power & athleticism every time.

Respect is due to Isner & Mahut for their physical endurance and even more for maintaining their competitive spirit for that length of time - it eventually ended 70-68 to Isner. However, tennis is a non-contact sport and they get to sit down & have a drink every few minutes so I think some of the disparaging remarks about the fitness levels in football are a bit off the mark.

Maybe so about the sit down and getting a drink, however isn't the actual playing time (i.e. discounting all the time the ball is out of play) in most football matches around 25 minutes each half? On top of this, the average length of a run in football is around 5 metres, broken up by lots of walking.

With the tennis players, you also have to think about muscular endurance, the ability to maintain the power in their serves is incredible. If you look at baseball pitchers, they are often taken off after 6 or 7 innings due to fatigue in the shoulder muscles. I do concede though that it isn't very interesting to watch serve after serve without any variety in shots played.

I was at Wimbledon on Tuesday when this match started...I'm not a huge tennis fan but was happy to take up a friend's offer of a ticket at Court 1.

This epic battle was also a reflection of what to my untrained eye is a major failing in mens' tennis...they are phenomenally powerful servers but not very good at returning. It actually makes for a dull spectacle with rallies at a premium & most points decided by either a service winner or the receiver failing to get the ball back in play.

Andy Murray is a welcome contrast to the hit-every-shot-as-hard-as-you-can attitude...even I could see his special talent is his ability to vary the pace of his shots. As with any sport, give me guile & craft over power & athleticism every time.

What about weight-lifting ?

You may remember a tv programme from the 70's called superstars---footballers were usually shown up to in poor physical shape compared to others sports representatives iirc

Edited by Jaggyman