Hugh Murray - Worth A Look?

potty trained

Noticed yesterday St Mirren have allowed Hugh Murray to leave at the end of the season after spending his whole career after coming through the youth ranks.

Although 33 years old, he still has the legs and head for the 1st division.

He's a defensive midfielder.

Rowson has had one of his best seasons this year, probably due to having Hutton earlier in the holding role, allowing Rowson more freedom.

i think he would be a benefit to the team if cairney were to leave and would see him sitting behind Rowson and Bannigan in a central 3. or the 3 of them fighting for 2 central mid places.

reports are he is a great leader in the dressing room... he certainly is on the park! and is a great example to the youths.

suppose the obvious question is.... would his brother, Grant, recommend us?

Someone on P&B said he's meant to be joining a junior club where a pal of his has become manager. Don't know how true that is and might just be conjecture.

Crilly at kilburnie?

na don't see it...

gettin the shoit kicked out of him in the juniors every week, or playing in the first, going up against his brother for a season or two?

In my opinion, Jackie should make this his first priority with regard to signing targets in the summer. Having seen a lot of St Mirren over the past few seasons, Shuggy Murray would be a cracking signing for us, losing his legs a bit but still got a great footballing brain. He has the ability to keep the ball and would be a perfect 'leader' on the park should Archie hang up his boots. Also would find no problems with adjusting to the physical side of the First Division and I imagine he would be happy to pick up a decent wage and wouldn't cost too much in terms of wages.

I don't know much about him, havn't seen him play in the flesh I don't think and I stopped watching the SPL highlights a few years ago.

On the face of it though, and judging by others on this thread who have seen him and know his strengths he seems like the player who will offer that balance between experience and youth in a side.

In my opinion, Jackie should make this his first priority with regard to signing targets in the summer. Having seen a lot of St Mirren over the past few seasons, Shuggy Murray would be a cracking signing for us, losing his legs a bit but still got a great footballing brain. He has the ability to keep the ball and would be a perfect 'leader' on the park should Archie hang up his boots. Also would find no problems with adjusting to the physical side of the First Division and I imagine he would be happy to pick up a decent wage and wouldn't cost too much in terms of wages.

I agree with you and others in that Murray would be a great signing. However I am not sure that he should be his first priority. I would say his priority is to sign some strikers

I agree with you and others in that Murray would be a great signing. However I am not sure that he should be his first priority. I would say his priority is to sign some strikers

I agree with you about strikers but I just meant because he is more or less available now and would be able to sign a deal so IMO if we can offer him the sort of money he's looking for we should get in there quick because as others have said there will probably be a few teams showing interest. Agree that the Maxwell link might help

We have four or five strikers on the books I wouldn't miss. In fact the only one I'd keep is Doolaninho.

Stewart, Fraser, McGuigan, Elliot and Burns just don't cut it. Get rid and get one or two decent ones in. At a push I'd keep McGuigan and Elliot for squad strength.

Agree with most of the posts. I don't see the average age of the squad rising next season even if we were to get Murray. For that reason alone we need two or three old heads around the first team.

Exactly, a few people have said that the problem in recent seasons has been that lack of an experienced head, particularly in the middle of the park to keep the heads up when things aren't going well and to give others a boot up the backside when needed and I think Murray would be perfect.

We have four or five strikers on the books I wouldn't miss. In fact the only one I'd keep is Doolaninho.

Stewart, Fraser, McGuigan, Elliot and Burns just don't cut it. Get rid and get one or two decent ones in. At a push I'd keep McGuigan and Elliot for squad strength.

Surely McGuigan deserves time to prove himself, first six months of next season at the least.

If it came down to signing up Cairney for another season or 2... or letting him go and chase his SPL move, and using his wage to get Murray.... what would you do?

I'd let Cairney go, and get Murray in, and to me it is an easy decision.

A decision, i would say has been made easier with Bannigan stepping into the team, with great ease.

i would let Cairney chase his SPL dream, probably with St Mirren, Hibs, St Johnstone and get Murray in to give the experience and leadership our team needs.

Cairney is a great player, a tough wee guy, but not a leader, if anything he gets his head down and gets on with his job, runs himself into the ground, then is knackered with 15 minutes to go. what i've seen in Bannigan so far suggests he has the ability, reading of the game, fitness, and physique to be a better player than Cairney.

All i'm saying is, the loss of Cairney would be erased, with the addition of Murray and the emergance of Bannigan as a first team regular.

By The Way

If Cairney moves on, will we be due any "training compo" or what ever it's called?

After one full match and a few sub appearances? I'm so glad us Thistle fans are a patient lot.

By The Way

If Cairney moves on, will we be due any "training compo" or what ever it's called?

I think he's too old for us to receive training compensation. He's 24 and I'm sure it is only up to 23, but might include the entire season during which a player turns 23. I might have that all wrong though.

After one full match and a few sub appearances? I'm so glad us Thistle fans are a patient lot.

We need our strikers contributing, too often this season we've had the lion share of possession and ended up getting beat one nil.

I just don't feel that the players I've listed have improved our cutting edge.

McGuigan has been alright but nothing more from what I've seen. He's decent compared to the other in winning high balls. Little else. As I stated he could be worth a squad place but don't see him firing in goals and creating chances that will lead us to a top three finish next season. It's only my opinion and I'd be happily proved wrong.....

Fraser and Elliot are under contract for next season.