Worst Decision Ever?

jaggy

Hibs 4th 'goal'. Just as well it didn't matter. Lino should be sacked in the morning

I am amazed that players on multi-million pound contacts can shoot from impossible angles rather than pass to a team-mate in an easy goal scoring position or give away a needless penalty tackling an opposition forward running away from goal, and do so week-in week-out, without any serious criticism whilst whenever an official makes a mistake there are calls for his sacking.

Hard though it is to believe, they are human and will get things wrong. They become an easy target for abuse from fans and managers because they can't answer back.

Edited by Norman

I am amazed that players on multi-million pound contacts can shoot from impossible angles rather than pass to a team-mate in an easy goal scoring position or give away a needless penalty tackling an opposition forward running away from goal, and do so week-in week-out, without any serious criticism whilst whenever an official makes a mistake there are calls for his sacking.

Hard though it is to believe, they are human and will get things wrong. They become an easy target for abuse from fans and managers because they can't answer back.

Apart from that one decision, I thought you had a pretty good game.

Lino should be sacked in the morning

I thought all lino was made from sacking :unsure:

I still think the worst decision by a linesman happened in the year between 1965 and 1967 but I'm admittedly biased.

But even when linesmen get it right there's always a nutter of a ref to overrule them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVtScYFT6c

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Not even close to the worst decision ever

Les Mottram Feb 1993 Thistle v Dundee Utd beats anything that I have ever seen.

Les Mottram 's denial of a stonewall penalty to us in the playoff at Tannadice is still the worst decision I've ever seen. Next up is that clown McGilvery refusing to send off Gazza and carding Rod McDonald for blessing himself.

The game at Firhill had no bearing on the result as they won 4-0 that day.

Les Mottram 's denial of a stonewall penalty to us in the playoff at Tannadice is still the worst decision I've ever seen. Next up is that clown McGilvery refusing to send off Gazza and carding Rod McDonald for blessing himself.

Agreed about Mottram at Tannadice. He was cowardly. Agree too about McGilvray, who admitted that it was one rule for the h u n s and another for us. Who was the mason that sent off Gerree Britton against the h u n s at Firhill? That almost certainly did hand them victory that day.

No dispute about McGilvery, but we lost 2-1 in that game.

As for Tannadice, yes at the time but after watching the 'highlights' on YouTube not so sure.

Mottram's at Firhill easily one of the worst of all time

I think that a rule change is necessary. Under current rule, while the ball is touching the line, the ball is not dead. However, this rule is not good because corner-flags and goal-posts stand on the line. Like Rugby, when the ball touches line or is bounced by the goal-post or bar, the ball must be dead.

I have to disagree. The rule is fine, it is just that referees and linesmen don't always get it right (they are human and have a split second to decide). My bug bear is when theystop for a throw or a goal kick when the centre of the ball crosses the outside of the line. Again it needs to be the whole of the ball.

The absolute bloody worst thing that could happen is goal line technology. The best thing about football is the debate about close decisions. Some you win and some you loose, but you can talk about them for years. Would anyone even mention Les Mottram if a little buzzer had sounded that day ?

The second best thing about football is feeling hard done by. These "bad decisions" generate so much emotion that would be completely lost.

Infact lets get rid of posts and crossbars and everyone put ther jumpers into 2 piles. That will generate some debate about whether it was inside the post or over the bar. Pundits could have years of talking about that one.

I would argue that this one at Hibs is still well down the list of shame from Assistants. One in the sixties by a Russian springs to mind. Also, while Mottram is rightly synonymous with the incident at Firhill, I believe the assistant ref (linesman as they were styled back then) was equally at fault. Watching the footage (

) it seems in part to be a serious miscommunication between them both.

Now my memory may be fading, but I thought the linesman that day was a certain Jim McGilvery. While Mottram's reward was a slot at the World Cup finals, McGilvery was promoted to an SPL referee. McGilvery's career was cut short when I am sure we will recall with pride that he took a brave stand against the immoral injustices of the SFA against R*ng*rs (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/scots-deny-crisis-talk-as-referee-quits-1320030.html ). That time he was compelled to book one of their players who choose to ignore a well-publicised directive and ran 25 yards, lept an advertising hoarding and celebrated by leaning into the ground. So shocked by the revelation of having to enforce the rules, he felt compelled to send off two Thistle players: Rod McDonald in part for blessing himself as he had always done; and Billy McDonald for reacting to an elbow in the face by kicking out (worthy of a red card, but the early elbowing went unpunished).

No dispute about McGilvery, but we lost 2-1 in that game.

As for Tannadice, yes at the time but after watching the 'highlights' on YouTube not so sure.

Mottram's at Firhill easily one of the worst of all time

The game at Firhill I meant was the Dundee Utd one. Should've been clearer.