Sun Article

Jagster

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/papercolumnists/aameranwar/4377745/The-beautiful-game-has-a-very-ugly-side.html

Partick Thistle fans threw bananas at Mark Walters? Is this true or defamation of the highest order? I certainly don't recall it.

I did find an article (Google: Partick Thistle bananas Mark Walters),however,that states there was an incident at,quote: 'Fir Park (Partick Thistle)'-WTF?

Could this be the (innacurate?) source,or am I getting on my high horse over something that did happen?

Answers please ... or rip into the Currant Bun.

I can remember one currant that I worked with, digging me up for the racist abuse we gave Dale Gordon at Ibrox one day. If I remember correctly, John Brown also accused us of the same thing. Both guys were talking shite, because I heard absolutely nothing that constituted racial abuse. There was plenty of abuse questioning their religious and sexual preferences, and also some concerning their personal hygiene, but definately none regarding skin tone.

Another poor piece of journalism by the Sun. The year which they refer to is 1988, 24 years ago. I am guessing that things have changed hugely since then.

If the most recent racist event in Scottish Football is 24 years ago, then let's hope that is a good indication that it has been resolved.

Shame they don't talk about more recent topics like why bigotry still exists in Scottish Football.

The only time we played clubfoot12 about that time was in a friendly and league cup tie, both at Firhill. Most abuse was focussed on a certain ex-Thistle player who had just signed for the blue arse cheek after being rumoured to be returning to the green arse cheek ;)

This an absolute disgrace, the club should take legal action.

Thistle were never even in the same division as Rangers during Walters time there.

HE NEVER PLAYED AGAINST THISTLE THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER.

Amar Anwar is nothing but Sideshow Bob to Tommy Sheridan (Krusty The Klown).

The article is "credited" to Aamer Anwar who has made a career out of being offended.

And a very lucrative one at that. Anwar is an odious, self-agrandising, shite-stirring *********; a P.C thug who views the world through the ugly prism of racial politics. The very fact that he is now happy to take Murdoch's shilling sums him up. It matters not a jot to Anwar that Partick Thistle may be tarnished by his false allegation, because "racism" is his business and business, for him, is good. Kerching!

He apparently speaks very highly of me though.

I can remember one currant that I worked with, digging me up for the racist abuse we gave Dale Gordon at Ibrox one day. If I remember correctly, John Brown also accused us of the same thing. Both guys were talking shite, because I heard absolutely nothing that constituted racial abuse. There was plenty of abuse questioning their religious and sexual preferences, and also some concerning their personal hygiene, but definately none regarding skin tone.

I remember that game. Dale Gordon got booed after taking a blatent dive and getting a fre kick for it.As he lay on the turf he was laughing at the Thistle and then gestured .He got booed cos he was a creepy, cheating diving shite , not because of his skin colour.

I for one have checked for myself and have found no mention of him at any time.

I'm not normally one to write a strongly worded e-mail, however I believe we as fans of a club tarnished in this way should ALL mail him.

Here's is e-mail just for quickness

[email protected]

Done feels strange, I think I may be angry.

Edited by jdwishbone

I remember that game. Dale Gordon got booed after taking a blatent dive and getting a fre kick for it.As he lay on the turf he was laughing at the Thistle and then gestured .He got booed cos he was a creepy, cheating diving shite , not because of his skin colour.

Thats exactly what I told the Orc at work.

Was out at the pictures and when I switched my phone back on I had a text asking if the Club planned to respond to Aamer Anwar's article in 'The Scottish Sun'.

I've now had a chance to digest the article and am as angry as I ever been about something relating to the Club that I have supported for 35 years.

For the avoidance of doubt; Thistle played Rangers just twice while Walters was a Rangers player; a league cup tie and a friendly, both at Firhill. Walters didn't play in the League Cup tie and played no more than 20 minutes of the friendly as a second half substitute.

There was no racial abuse of Mark Walters that night. Not a single banana was thrown onto the park.

The claim that Mark Walters was subject to racist abuse in that fixture is 100% false.

Had such an incident taken place then I would have been ashamed to have been a Thistle fan. There is every chance I wouldn't be a Jags fan right now.

The least that Partick Thistle, and more importantly our supporters (that's me and you) who today have had their good name besmirched, deserve is an unreserved apology from Anwar displayed as prominently as the falsehood was in today's paper.

Was out at the pictures and when I switched my phone back on I had a text asking if the Club planned to respond to Aamer Anwar's article in 'The Scottish Sun'.

I've now had a chance to digest the article and am as angry as I ever been about something relating to the Club that I have supported for 35 years.

For the avoidance of doubt; Thistle played Rangers just twice while Walters was a Rangers player; a league cup tie and a friendly, both at Firhill. Walters didn't play in the League Cup tie and played no more than 20 minutes of the friendly as a second half substitute.

There was no racial abuse of Mark Walters that night. Not a single banana was thrown onto the park.

The claim that Mark Walters was subject to racist abuse in that fixture is 100% false.

Had such an incident taken place then I would have been ashamed to have been a Thistle fan. There is every chance I wouldn't be a Jags fan right now.

The least that Partick Thistle, and more importantly our supporters (that's me and you) who today have had their good name besmirched, deserve is an unreserved apology from Anwar displayed as prominently as the falsehood was in today's paper.

Great post Tom, could not have put that better myself.