One Thistle - North Stand Move

potty trained

I would describe myself as a sort of swing voter for this move; I could see the potential benefits but definitely feared it being a damp squib and overall fairly embarrassing with maybe 50 people singing songs noone could hear.

Walking up the hill yesterday on way to JH I had a peak through the fence and was very impressed by the colour and pleasantly surprised at turn out and on entering the ground the noise being created was great. I've always thought the acoustics from North Stand were rather good and was always slightly jealous of small away supports seemingly being much noisier than us however yesterday was the loudest I've heard from that many fans, just think what could be done with 2/3 times that many. The sight of you guys cheering the goals was magnificent (I love watching fans fly down stairs after goals) and your engagement with Falkirk fans was something we've missed since SPL days.

I really, really hope this project takes off as potentially it is the greatest thing the club will have done for the fans in some time. The next time I come up I for one will definitely be moving across and I truly hope some others will be feeling the same as me.

I would though echo the anti-speaker sentiments; it really sounded a bit naff and don't think we need it. The tannoy system was pretty poor at all times with it being far too loud pre-match and then too quiet towards the end. Not sure what happened there! Not sure if this is OneThistle remit but was again disappointed with half time pie stand situation; waited for 15 mins only to be told there was no soft drinks or water. This is not the first time situations like this occur and we really need someone just interacting with queues telling them of things like this. Final minor detail, and again may not be appropriate place to bring up, but the lines on the pitch were very dull today. Few moments were it was hard to tell if ball was in or not.

Overall a massive thumbs up from me and its up to us all to keep the momentum going. Dumbarton will be interesting with a much smaller, less up for it away support in a less 'important' game. If you can get similar numbers and make similar atmosphere then we will be

PS: What were the Jackie Mac lyrics?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she then said Thistle had made a mistake with the seating arrangements and that the abuse (come on, it was fitba banter) had one Falkirk fan in tears :lol:

Ridiculous that she should complain about this. The atmosphere should be intimidating for an away team. It's what home advantage is all about. Not that I would call the atmosphere yesterday intimidating! Far from it, but it was the best it's been at Firhill for a long time. Just shows how much football has been sanitised over the last few years.

Ridiculous that she should complain about this. The atmosphere should be intimidating for an away team. It's what home advantage is all about. Not that I would call the atmosphere yesterday intimidating! Far from it, but it was the best it's been at Firhill for a long time. Just shows how much football has been sanitised over the last few years.

I didn't hear her but I'm assuming it's the same one that phones in on a regular basis. Always comes across as she'd be more at home watching public school rugger. The only thing in her favour is that she actually goes to games. Ninety per cent of Traynor's callers rarely see the inside of a football ground.

I'm sure this question's been raised before, but given there's ahem a bit of spare room in the North Stand, couldn't we create a wee section at one end where weans and their parents could sit? I heard this being mooted by one or two fans yesterday.

At the moments this is not an option, as the police have insisted from day 1 that U16s should not be allowed in the stand.

I'm sure this question's been raised before, but given there's ahem a bit of spare room in the North Stand, couldn't we create a wee section at one end where weans and their parents could sit? I heard this being mooted by one or two fans yesterday.

One of the Police Conditions associated with the move was no under 16s - there will be a singing section created for our Thistle Ultras in Section 6 ( Thistle Futures up to age 12 are in section 5) hopefully the adults will join in to support our young fans in the JHS.

One of the Police Conditions associated with the move was no under 16s - there will be a singing section created for our Thistle Ultras in Section 6 ( Thistle Futures up to age 12 are in section 5) hopefully the adults will join in to support our young fans in the JHS.

And thanks to you too, Jim. Didn't see your post when I replied.

One thing that was clear yesterday, the view from The New Shed wasn't too bad, but the bing looked horrible and made it a bit difficult to see the action at the City End. Would it be possible for a big wall (wooden or otherwise) with either a fake crowd drawn onto and/or space for extra advertising?

I'd like to add my thanks and appreciation to the onethistle guys for getting this done. I've not sang at a game for ages, mainly because in the JH noone near me has ever joined in and I'm only wee and didn't fancy singing by myself. I sat in The New Shed yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it - sang almost every song, loved the 'peachy' chat, and felt it was the best atmosphere at a Thistle league match in years. I can only see this getting better and better as more fans move across and it builds momentum. Well done all involved - I'm genuinely excited for the next time I can get to Firhill for a game.

Personally, I regret that there's no such stand at the city end of the stadium.

It's one of those things you don't really notice in the Jackie Husband stand, but a while ago I spoke to a Raith fan who said it didn't look good just having the mound there. Since building a stand there seems to be off the cards (I know it was planned, but I don't remember the details of why nothing happened) a wall or anything would be good, if only just to close it off and hopefully contain the atmosphere more.

It's one of those things you don't really notice in the Jackie Husband stand, but a while ago I spoke to a Raith fan who said it didn't look good just having the mound there. Since building a stand there seems to be off the cards (I know it was planned, but I don't remember the details of why nothing happened) a wall or anything would be good, if only just to close it off and hopefully contain the atmosphere more.

Agreed; even a massive temporary screen would be better than the bing. It could also be used for advertising.

If OneThistle could sort that out that eyesore I'd be mightily impressed!

It would be a big ask, at the moment I'm afraid. Although as a long term project it could be something to work on.

I totally agree, the bing is a disgrace. The men who are responsible for that situation should hang their heads in shame - there was absolutely no reason to knock down that terracing.

However, as everyone knows onethistle is working with virtually no budget, so doing anything right away would be really tough.

So let's put it out there, I'm sure we have many creative types within the support. So if anyone has any ideas with what to do with the bing then let's hear from you - all ideas welcome.

I had two guys with me who also happened to come along to the Falkirk game at the end of last season. Both were hugely impressed with the improvement in the whole experience and will definitely be back. Good work by all involved in this move, not just those that set it all up but those who supported it by going and making some noise. I'll be there throughout the season for some games but I just enjoy the vantage point from my seat in the back row too much to make a permanent switch :thumbsup2:

What about a temporary wooden wall to go up in front of the bing? (Similar to what goes up around a building site before the work is finished, but bigger).

If we made it 10m high it would hide the bing, might help keep in some of the atmosphere and we could sell space on the wall for advertising. Obviously with no budget, why not see if there are any local timber suppliers and/or construction companies who would be willing to supply parts and labour in exchange for a big ad on the board?

It would be a big ask, at the moment I'm afraid. Although as a long term project it could be something to work on.

I totally agree, the bing is a disgrace. The men who are responsible for that situation should hang their heads in shame - there was absolutely no reason to knock down that terracing.

However, as everyone knows onethistle is working with virtually no budget, so doing anything right away would be really tough.

So let's put it out there, I'm sure we have many creative types within the support. So if anyone has any ideas with what to do with the bing then let's hear from you - all ideas welcome.

World football's largest floral clock. The bing is the perfect shape for it.