Spl Vote No

Jagali

I've just had a look at the St Mirren and ICT forums. Their fans are going ballistic at the statements issued today. Obviously we're not the only ones perplexed by the statements made by our BoD .....

I was rather puzzled by what these clubs are up to since they must know how ridiculous they'll look if they try to do this and they are practically declaring war on their own fans. Then I spotted this post on RTC:

St Mirren and Inverness are simply hedging their bets. Clearly they have been financially mismanaged and, whatever the result of the Rangers farce, they would be contemplating mass redundancies and scything cuts. Rangers are nothing more than a good excuse to gut their clubs without getting too much criticism.

They won’t be the last to use Rangers as a good excuse to get away with not doing their jobs properly.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that RTC contribution is a bit off-beam really. St. M and ICT are probably, along with St. J and the Tims, the best financially managed clubs in the SPL.

My boss is a StM shareholder and was at a meeting with Gilmour the other week. He reckoned Gilmour was convinced by the Armageddon scenario and that if the TV deal did go oot the windae, they would be in serious bother as they had budgeted for the income as per last year's SPL distribution. It's fair to say that clubs sign contracts for a couple of years for their better and therefore better paid players, so they will have commitments.

St. M are not in significant debt, but they would get there if they spent money without income. If income falls significantly, especially suddenly, significant cuts are on the cards and the first cuts will be to non-contracted staff, mostly involved in youth development and community outreach.

Consequently, I can understand his angst. However, if he was that bothered, he should have taken the hit last week rather than try to foist the shitty decision onto the SFL. Funnily enough, he was quoted as saying it was up to the SFL clubs to make their decision and there should be no pressure etc..... Shame for him that the Donkey/Regan stitch-up blew up in their face. Still wondering how deep Longmuir was into it.

Looks like Mr. G believes that the Integrity Card should be playable only by SPL Chairmen. SFL clubs need not apply.....

I think that RTC contribution is a bit off-beam really. St. M and ICT are probably, along with St. J and the Tims, the best financially managed clubs in the SPL.

My boss is a StM shareholder and was at a meeting with Gilmour the other week. He reckoned Gilmour was convinced by the Armageddon scenario and that if the TV deal did go oot the windae, they would be in serious bother as they had budgeted for the income as per last year's SPL distribution. It's fair to say that clubs sign contracts for a couple of years for their better and therefore better paid players, so they will have commitments.

St. M are not in significant debt, but they would get there if they spent money without income. If income falls significantly, especially suddenly, significant cuts are on the cards and the first cuts will be to non-contracted staff, mostly involved in youth development and community outreach.

Consequently, I can understand his angst. However, if he was that bothered, he should have taken the hit last week rather than try to foist the shitty decision onto the SFL. Funnily enough, he was quoted as saying it was up to the SFL clubs to make their decision and there should be no pressure etc..... Shame for him that the Donkey/Regan stitch-up blew up in their face. Still wondering how deep Longmuir was into it.

Looks like Mr. G believes that the Integrity Card should be playable only by SPL Chairmen. SFL clubs need not apply.....

If you're correct then I would laugh in their faces (while feeling sorry for the fans who'll have been shafted). However I'm convinced the TV Armageddon story is grossly exaggerated. There will be a drop in income but not as bad as they say - and I doubt SKy will have the nerve to implement anything right away.

We really need to get some guys in who want to talk up our game and try to negotiate better deals rather than humbly accept the crumbs from the Sky table.

St Mirren and ICT are acting the billy bigtime clubs as if the SPL is light years ahead of the first division, like the gulf between the Premiership and the Evo-Stick Premier.

I am a little worried about an SPL stitch up here. I don't see it actually happening, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. What would we do if this happened? Yoda Jag suggests a breakaway league structure, which is probably a good option. I'd say sack it with Scottish football to be honest, and hope that our clubs can apply to the FA.

St Mirren and ICT are acting the billy bigtime clubs as if the SPL is light years ahead of the first division, like the gulf between the Premiership and the Evo-Stick Premier.

I am a little worried about an SPL stitch up here. I don't see it actually happening, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. What would we do if this happened? Yoda Jag suggests a breakaway league structure, which is probably a good option. I'd say sack it with Scottish football to be honest, and hope that our clubs can apply to the FA.

Surely if the SPL allowed the defunct h u n s back into the SPL now, especially now, then thousands of fans of their clubs would abandon football in disgust.

Surely if the SPL allowed the defunct h u n s back into the SPL now, especially now, then thousands of fans of their clubs would abandon football in disgust.

You would think. But how would it affect us, or SFL clubs as a whole.

As you say, it can't happen (surely?!), as the fans of SPL clubs have made their feelings heard just as much as we have. With the leaked emails from Regan there will be even more pressure to see the right thing is done. I do anticipate Dundee being placed in the SPL later today, however there is still a little bit of me worried about the stitch-up.

So Green and McCoist attend the SPL meeting. As Rangers still have a share then their Chairman has the right to attend. No other club manager attends with his Chairman though.

Seems like an attempt to salvage the situation is being discussed. Can't see that they could do anything without turning 90% off fans away from the game

So Green and McCoist attend the SPL meeting. As Rangers still have a share then their Chairman has the right to attend. No other club manager attends with his Chairman though.

Seems like an attempt to salvage the situation is being discussed. Can't see that they could do anything without turning 90% off fans away from the game

I doubt that is going to stop them trying

Ally has been fairly vocal about wanting to start in the Third, so you'd think Ally couldn't possibly be there to try and find back-door entry to the SPL. Though some people have expressed doubts as to Coisty's reasons for making those statements.

You can never trust the SPL cartel, they have a history of bringing things back for a second vote and changing their minds.

Ally has been fairly vocal about wanting to start in the Third, so you'd think Ally couldn't possibly be there to try and find back-door entry to the SPL. Though some people have expressed doubts as to Coisty's reasons for making those statements.

You can never trust the SPL cartel, they have a history of bringing things back for a second vote and changing their minds.

:rolleyes::secret:

I see the Guardian is finally getting its act together. A half decent article the other day and now this (I like how it begins):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/16/rangers-lowest-league-victory-fans

Fantastic piece of writing that should be compulsory reading for all football club directors, and not just in Scotland.

The SPL's bubble has burst big time, and it can't be long before the overheated leagues elsewhere follow suit.

The article sure gives Regan and Doncaster a well-deserved kicking just where it hurts!

Smashing! ;-)

I've got a lot of sympathy for Capital Jag's view that even allowing newco into SFL3 has been a real con and they've still managed to bypass proper procedures, but this is probably as good an outcome as could be achieved, considering the huge pressure being applied. A qualified victory for the fans. Let's just hope we all manage to complete our fixtures this season.

Probably for the better. Green would just come out with some more nonsense that's so far from the truth. McCoist wants 3rd Div football for many reasons. Apart from doubts about his team management skills being shelved for a good while going into the 3rd increases the likelihood of Green disappearing.

SPL clubs have agreed they will work with the SFA, the SFL and Sevco to facilitate Rangers FC taking their place in SFL3.

So that gives them a season to organise restructuring and revised deals with the television companies. Expect SPL2 starting in 2013/14 with Govan Greens being invited to join as part of the deals. My guess is that Rangers will sell the rights to their SFL3 games and agree to distribute some of the cash to other clubs as part of the deal.

So that gives them a season to organise restructuring and revised deals with the television companies. Expect SPL2 starting in 2013/14 with Govan Greens being invited to join as part of the deals. My guess is that Rangers will sell the rights to their SFL3 games and agree to distribute some of the cash to other clubs as part of the deal.

That would be another test for the SFL board (or whatever it is that runs the SFL). Rangers can't sell their games without permission from the league. Any TV deal should involve all of the cash being distributed among the clubs with NewRangers getting an equal share. If there's no deal without NewRangers, there's no deal without the rest of the clubs. Why take pennies (which is what it would be) to help one club romp through your league?

That would be another test for the SFL board (or whatever it is that runs the SFL). Rangers can't sell their games without permission from the league. Any TV deal should involve all of the cash being distributed among the clubs with NewRangers getting an equal share. If there's no deal without NewRangers, there's no deal without the rest of the clubs. Why take pennies (which is what it would be) to help one club romp through your league?

You are right. It should have a condition to the SFL application being approved.