Stenhousemuir Say Yes To Newco. First To Break With It

joejag

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best option for SFL is for Dundee and Dunfermline to refuse promotion.

Failing that games a bogey :(

Could be looking forward to a few trips down south to watch some games away from the obvious corruption in out game (theres is slightly better hidden :()

Having read through the whole statement most of it just seems like a regurgitation of the proposals put to the SFL before their meeting.

In my mind the telling paragraph is this one:- In football terms, if Stenhousemuir was not part of the new SPL2 which is almost certain, then the club would in effect drop down to playing in the third tier of Scottish football.

Seems to me they have given in to (and repeated) the threat held within that statement and are scared that they wouldn't be asked to join the secondary preservation league.

Although how going from the third tier to the third tier can be construed as dropping beats me. Can you trust someone who doesn't know the difference between up and down?

The latest statement from the Thistle board is far less open than this but I get the gut feeling that they both say the same thing.

When Save the Jags campaign was at its height I used to wonder which team I would support if Thistle were to disappear and came to the conclusion that Maryhill Juniors, whose ground I can see from my flat would be the one. Looks like I may be heading to Lochburn at the start of the season! I like watching football in the flesh so the juniors would be the only alternative for me.

Edited by scotty

When Save the Jags campaign was at its height I used to wonder which team I would support if Thistle were to disappear and came to the conclusion that Maryhill Juniors, whose ground I can see from my flat would be the one. Looks like I may be heading to Lochburn at the start of the season! I like watching football in the flesh so the juniors would be the only alternative for me.

Probably be either Petershill or Ashfield for me.

Go **** yourself, Beattie.

Having read through the whole statement most of it just seems like a regurgitation of the proposals put to the SFL before their meeting.

In my mind the telling paragraph is this one:- In football terms, if Stenhousemuir was not part of the new SPL2 which is almost certain, then the club would in effect drop down to playing in the third tier of Scottish football.

Seems to me they have given in to (and repeated) the threat held within that statement and are scared that they wouldn't be asked to join the secondary preservation league.

Although how going from the third tier to the third tier can be construed as dropping beats me. Can you trust someone who doesn't know the difference between up and down?

The latest statement from the Thistle board is far less open than this but I get the gut feeling that they both say the same thing.

What about if they vote no to newco though?

Poor stuff Stenny. Really old thinking too.

When you put yourself first in any prioritisation you risk losing perspective. And so it is here.

The game in Scotland HAS to come first. Not you Stenny. Not us Thistle.

I am reminded that when I joined IBM yonks ago it was due to a sea change in that company where they had belatedly decided to PUT THE CUSTOMER first.

The leap of faith then was that when we did so everything else would look after itself - and it did. Happy customers generate income.

If it worked for Big Blue (sorry there!) then it can work here.

Of all the clubs in the SFL Stenny probably have the biggest brass neck to vote yes. They have money coming in from the Shire groundshare as well as their plastic pitch which generates a great deal in community work and saves their own teams a fortune.

what happens if say 5 clubs out of the 30 say yes to them which results in Newco going to third, and if the 5 clubs are Stenny, East Stirling, Elgin, Stirling Albion, Annan (or any 5 clubs in the 2nd or 3rd division), are the SPL seriously going to invite these diddy teams to a breakaway league? I wouldn't trust the SFA/SPL if I were one of these teams after all that has happened. If they do breakaway and one of the 'No' voting teams goes down the Gary Glitter, will they consider reforming the game back to suit a Thistle or a Livingston? absolute baws. I can see Stenny's reasons for voting yes as it potentially looks like a win-win situation if they vote yes.

The big threat to the SFL Clubs seems to be that they would lose the annual payment they receive from the SPL. Is this payment not part of a formal Agreement? Unless it is a kind-hearted gift from those caring, sharing guys in the SPL, they can not then simply decide not to pay - they would be in breach of contract and the SFL Clubs could sue.

I am repeating what I and many others have already said on here - the Newco to Division 1 is to benefit the SPL Clubs, probably even more than Rangers. Why should we vote to strengthen Clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, and St Johnstone? Does that not make it more difficult for Thistle to compete with them? Are they really going to invite Stenhousemuir and the likes to form SPL2?

For a variety of reasons, but mainly because I couldn't stomach the poisonous atmosphere, I haven't been to a game against Rangers since 1982 (Thistle 2 Rangers 0, Tony Higgins, who was a donkey, scored both, the crowd was 6,513). If Thistle assist in reviving Zombie Rangers, my continued boycott won't affect the CIub finances but I suspect that like a lot of other Thistle fans my interest in Scottish Football will dwindle and it will be a slow lingering death of the Club. Having said that, if it was the last game of the season at Firhill and Thistle had to win to get promoted and defeat would consign Zombie Rangers to relegation to SFL 2, I just might have to go to see that.

This has been the most exciting Close Season ever. It has been good to see the return of some of the Legends from predecessors of this forum - Double Ugly, David Stevenson, Alan Herron..and Are You Red Monkey in Disguise. There might be a lesson for the Thistle Board - there is a lot of untapped enthusiasm and passion for our Club out there.

The big threat to the SFL Clubs seems to be that they would lose the annual payment they receive from the SPL. Is this payment not part of a formal Agreement? Unless it is a kind-hearted gift from those caring, sharing guys in the SPL, they can not then simply decide not to pay - they would be in breach of contract and the SFL Clubs could sue.

This sudden loss of the "settlement payment" from SPL to SFL has been referred to a couple of times and is rapidly becoming an example of the old maxim about repeating a lie often enough then it will eventually become true. If the SPL choose not to pay it then, even in the "interesting times" we currently find ourselves in, the SFA would have to intervene as surely it would be a football debt that would need paying; otherwise redress would be sought by the SFL via the legal route. The only other scenario that fits would be if enough of the SPL clubs went under (effectively meaning the SPL goes bust) but then we would have the surviving clubs all seeking to join the SFL.

Similarly when it comes to setting up SPL2, won't some form of settlement payment be needed in lieu of 2 years notice to leave the SFL? Even that would need the majority of the 30 SFL clubs to support it so why would any of the 20 clubs being cut adrift vote for it without including provisions for promotion and relegation?

I would like to think that all it would take is some clear thinking and some solidarity from the SFL clubs to say to the SPL / SFA that "your ideas for change are brilliant and we will happily consider them over the next few months so they can be in place for 2013/14; obviously we are all committed to sticking with the current flawed system for one more year because if we don't then it will look like we have been bribed or bullied and we know you don't want that; now do you want us to promote a 2nd club or not because we really need to know if we have a vacancy in what looks like the final season of our 3rd Division".

This has been the most exciting Close Season ever. It has been good to see the return of some of the Legends from predecessors of this forum - Double Ugly, David Stevenson, Alan Herron..and Are You Red Monkey in Disguise. There might be a lesson for the Thistle Board - there is a lot of untapped enthusiasm and passion for our Club out there.

Yes, it is geniunely nice to hear from these and others, despite the circumstances. This forum and our club are enhanced by their inputs.

It might simplify things on July 13th if Newco took that reality pill and asked in advance to be considered for application into SFL3.

That would enable the SPL to give Dunfermline & Dundee a fair play-off and the SFL to deal with the reshuffling of the likes of Airdrire etc.

Incidentally I saw the Wee Red Book on sale today; just how out of date will those fixtures be in 3 weeks time...

It might simplify things on July 13th if Newco took that reality pill and asked in advance to be considered for application into SFL3.

That would enable the SPL to give Dunfermline & Dundee a fair play-off and the SFL to deal with the reshuffling of the likes of Airdrire etc.

Incidentally I saw the Wee Red Book on sale today; just how out of date will those fixtures be in 3 weeks time...

Why are some of us even thinking about walking away from Thistle what have the club done? no way I am letting something that happened to another club kill my support come on you Jags