Do We Hate Rangers More Than We Love Thistle?

Alan Hansen

Juan, it is starting to look like a boycott.

The game in this country has been gubbed for some time. It has been corrupt, it has always benefited the top table. The SPL has been a closed shop from the day it started.

I wanted my club to play no part in this recent disgrace. As long as they don't then they will get my support. I'd argue there are far more grounds to boycott the national side and all those teams who do vote for this proposal than there are to walking away from Thistle.

Jags still have to vote NO, I accept that, but I believe they will.

If the proposal changes , then I hope we get to hear what it is BEFORE next Friday and then make up our own minds if it is in the best interest of the game.

As things stand, I believe the club deserve our support.

OK, you think it's starting to look like a boycott, I don't. I certainly can't speak (write) for everyone but it's certainly not a boycott to me. It's a final admission that the game is dead.

I know what you mean about the corruption and benefits to the top table, however, in the past that was always a perception. We could still fool ourselves into thinking it was an even sporting contest. What's about to happen will kill even that lingering naivety in me.

Again, I'm not speaking for anyone else and I hope and pray that Thistle make the right decision in all this. I won't be holding my breath 'till next week though.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a football related question re-Sevco - presumably the Challenge Cup will have to be redrawn if Dundee go up and Sevco are admitted (total re-draw as they are in different geographical sections perhaps?). Similarly, when is the League cup draw? Presumably Sevco will be involved in the first round - the games are due to be played in 3 weeks.

Simple solution: promote Partick Thistle. That way, Sevco can take our place in the Challenge Cup and the TV companies have four Glasgow derbies to look forward to next season.

0.jpg

i would say yes i hate them as much as i can

they deserved what happened to them and i dont take pity on them

hope they will never come back to the spl

as i heard they are choicing either join 3d div or join the english conference due to the merge with one of the conference based english club

f....k h....ns

Edited by dynamo

I absolutely hate Rangers / Newco / Sevco with all of my heart. I make absolutely no apology for this and I'm very comfortable with it. In fact, I cannot think of anything on this earth I hate more than Rangers / Newco / Sevco.

Has nothing to do with my feelings for Thistle though.

Answer to the question posed - No, of course not.

I've been going to Thistle for years now and I am absolutely appalled by the number of folk on here who are saying they would walk away from PTFC for good if Rangers/newco/whateverthey'recalled are in Div1 next season - *even if our own board representatives vote against this*.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Personally I hope newco go to Div 3 or sit out a season - they deserve all they get and more - but NO outcome would make me think 'aye, time to walk away from Firhill and never go again'. This is OUR club - and while I appreciate the anger about even the possibility of newco being parachuted in to our division (as we all know, it's not a 'relegation' as some of the lazy/pro-RFC press has stated, as they no longer exist and are starting again), my desire to support PTFC through thick and thin, no matter whether the league they are in has been unfairly set up or includes a stinking, toxic team of cheats, will always win out. I'd happily go along and Boo newco for 90 minutes non stop, in fact, if it came to that.

But, how can anyone say they'd abandon Thistle because of the mess Rangers/newco have left?

I can only conclude that there are plenty of people here who DO hate Rangers more than they love Thistle and that is very sad.

Answer to the question posed - No, of course not.

I've been going to Thistle for years now and I am absolutely appalled by the number of folk on here who are saying they would walk away from PTFC for good if Rangers/newco/whateverthey'recalled are in Div1 next season - *even if our own board representatives vote against this*.

Personally I hope newco go to Div 3 or sit out a season - they deserve all they get and more - but NO outcome would make me think 'aye, time to walk away from Firhill and never go again'. This is OUR club - and while I appreciate the anger about even the possibility of newco being parachuted in to our division (as we all know, it's not a 'relegation' as some of the lazy/pro-RFC press has stated, as they no longer exist and are starting again), my desire to support PTFC through thick and thin, no matter whether the league they are in has been unfairly set up or includes a stinking, toxic team of cheats, will always win out. I'd happily go along and Boo newco for 90 minutes non stop, in fact, if it came to that.

But, how can anyone say they'd abandon Thistle because of the mess Rangers/newco have left?

I can only conclude that there are plenty of people here who DO hate Rangers more than they love Thistle and that is very sad.

It would be abandoning all scottish football to me as it would be corrupt and moraly wrong and by paying my honest earned cash i would be condoning and accepting it

Thanks for that input. I think those, myself included, who are walking away have made it clear that is not the case.

Kudos to those folk who want to pay £260+ or £17/18 a game to watch something where result is already determined. In the current financial climate I can't justify that sort of outgoing to myself never mind my family for a result that has already been decided. In previous years i've done it & to quote a famous phrase, 'it's the hope that kills you!'

This season....?

I sincerely hope that if play offs are agreed that Sevco Rovers are already promoted automatically. The stitch up's already decided they need to be back in the SPL within the season.

Each to their own though Colin.

The Scottish game is being pulled through the wringer by rAngers demise and toxic reincarnation.

It's not hatred, its just realising that they are no good for the Scottish game in any sustainable way. Years of bigotry, boom and bust transfer policies which trickled down the league and now the sorry mess we find our game in.

I don't hate them, I just think they are a blight. The argument seems to come from their point of view. They should sort themselves out and reapply when ready. Otherwise this episode will repeat its self within a season or so.

Thistle don't need them, or I should say shouldn't rely on them and adjust accordingly.

If we vote for the abomination I'm out.

This is a Thistle forum ffs, so peoples love or liking of our team shouldn't be brought into question.

@Trotter - I respect your view too. I think we disagree on the point about 'all results have already been decided'. I don't think that is the case. I totally understand the anger fellow PTFC fans feel about the league's integrity and fair play and treating all clubs equally - I just don't see the black/white need to walk away completely if newco get lumped in with us (for pragmatic financial reasons, however much we disagree with those - clubs are scared sh1tless about going bust, so newco may slither in where they're not wanted).

They should go to Div3, but I will still go and see Thistle regardless, and would do if we joined the Greenland league or were playing Martian XIs.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion mate and I will never say to anyone to boycott the club but please dont pontificate to me or anyone else about how we choose to spend our money. Dont think for a minute that anyone on here is not hurting about what is going on, we are all loyal jags fans, in my own case for over 50 years and in that time I reckon I have missed only about 100 home games, I have been to every jags European home game kicking off against Glentoran in 63 so dont think it isnt gonna hurt me or my family if we walk away this season because it is. However if the game is proven to be rigged this Friday, I would be as well going to see the WWE the next time they roll into Braehead. Their product is rigged and shit but at least I can sit in comfort with no bird shit on the seats and I can forget about all the Bigotfest supporters and media that ruin the sport for everyone else in this country!!!

Edited by Lindau

So we go along regardless? How corrupt and disgusting do our football leagues have to become before we say that's enough. We might as well all become Rangers supporters because what we've seen in the last few weeks is they are the only ones who count.

It used to be annoying to here them brag about how big they were and how insignificant we were. Now we'll have them bragging about how they could cheat and rob other clubs (and the country) and get away with it.

Thistle don't exist in a bubble with just us and a few other 1st division clubs - we're part of the whole thing. To just go back as if nothing had happened is in my opinion just giving your support to the whole corrupt mess. If the Thistle board had come out with a definite NO - which they certainly have not, I'd be prepared to maybe still go to Thistle home games (and the odd away game against clubs like RR who have been honets in this fiasco) even if the fix was pushed through; but unless the board come out with a clear NO to the 1st div for Sevco on Friday, our club will be complicit in fixing the game. That would make them a club I don't want to support.

Edited by Mr Bunny

@Trotter - I respect your view too. I think we disagree on the point about 'all results have already been decided'. I don't think that is the case. I totally understand the anger fellow PTFC fans feel about the league's integrity and fair play and treating all clubs equally - I just don't see the black/white need to walk away completely if newco get lumped in with us (for pragmatic financial reasons, however much we disagree with those - clubs are scared sh1tless about going bust, so newco may slither in where they're not wanted).

They should go to Div3, but I will still go and see Thistle regardless, and would do if we joined the Greenland league or were playing Martian XIs.

Ask yourself this Colin.

Why are the ALL the relevant Scottish Senior Fotball authorities so keen to get them into SFL1?

What happens if they don't go up automatically?

Now tell me, if the results aren't decided as such, what will happen next year if Sevco Rovers were not promoted within the year back to SPL?

what will happen next year if Sevco Rovers were not promoted within the year back to SPL?

I actually think this is quite possible. Were they allowed entry to SFL1 - and it's looking like this is the most likely outcome - every SFL1 team will be busting a gut to keep them there. Also, they currently only have around 6 players, which is why McCoist is bottling it.

So regardless who we agree to play or what we agree to, no matter how morally or ethically wrong it is you'll keep going? What about id we do a fund raiser for newco at firhill?

Ask yourself this Colin.

Why are the ALL the relevant Scottish Senior Fotball authorities so keen to get them into SFL1?

What happens if they don't go up automatically?

Now tell me, if the results aren't decided as such, what will happen next year if Sevco Rovers were not promoted within the year back to SPL?

Just to echo above. We hear from McCoist that he'd prefer going into the 3rd Div to rebuild as he doesn't see how he can compete with transfer embargoes etc and other sanctions SFA will/can impose.

The whole point of sticking sevco in Div 1 is so that they're only out the top flight for a season. If our three crackpot governing bodies are adopting such nefarious tactics to ensure which division they'll play in then it's surely logical to assume they'll see to it they'll be sufficiently strong enough to make playing in Div 1 no more than a formality.

Just to echo above. We hear from McCoist that he'd prefer going into the 3rd Div to rebuild as he doesn't see how he can compete with transfer embargoes etc and other sanctions SFA will/can impose.

The whole point of sticking sevco in Div 1 is so that they're only out the top flight for a season. If our three crackpot governing bodies are adopting such nefarious tactics to ensure which division they'll play in then it's surely logical to assume they'll see to it they'll be sufficiently strong enough to make playing in Div 1 no more than a formality.

Whatever the strategy is, they're running out of time. The league kicks off in a few weeks and they only have a handful of players. This may be naivety on my part though.

Whatever the strategy is, they're running out of time. The league kicks off in a few weeks and they only have a handful of players. This may be naivety on my part though.

If they get into Div 1/SPHell 2 there will be plenty of half decent players wanting to sign up for them....dont worry about that!

Thing is division 1 will allow a lot of season ticket money to be collected. That might take time but I'm sure Green could fix up a loan if he could show that the money was starting to come in. They could then quickly buy a team. It would be a thrown together team but they could probably sign a few players a class above Div 1.

What might scupper the plan is that I suspect McCoist is a crap manager without the really big money players and the old Ibrox arrogance which would be badly dented. They certainly would be very shaky the first few games. Then what happens if there's a month to go and say Rangers are 3rd or 4th with only an outside chance of promotion? I bet you can guess.

Although since Green is a right SOB I don't think McCoist would last long once he gets what he wants.

I will most probably require hospital treatment after my sides split from laughter. I suspect there will be a lengthy queue at A & E though.

Edited by Guy Incognito

Would you want to attend a game when you had been told beforehand that the score would be 1-0 to the opposing team?

No, but that's not what's happening here in the slightest. League reconstruction / admitting a new team is not the same as fixing a score.

I'll reiterate what i said before - I support Thistle, and who they are playing is of less importance to me than continuing to support my club, no matter how badly run the league they're in is. I'm not boycotting my own club. Others are free to disagree and walk out - as it seems many will do. Each to their own.

No, but that's not what's happening here in the slightest. League reconstruction / admitting a new team is not the same as fixing a score.

I'll reiterate what i said before - I support Thistle, and who they are playing is of less importance to me than continuing to support my club, no matter how badly run the league they're in is. I'm not boycotting my own club. Others are free to disagree and walk out - as it seems many will do. Each to their own.

What's happening here is that the powers that be have decided that the new club HAS to be returned to the top flight as soon as possible - if not now then the next season. So, if they do not win the division at the first time of asking what will happen? Will the top league be expanded to include them? If the new Rangers finish sixth in this years first division, will the SPL be expanded to 18 teams? What if they finish 10th?

We have all seen dodgy decisions go Rangers way in games against Thistle - remember a certain player getting yellow carded for crossing himself? Anyone attending that game was left in no doubt that the referee bottled his decisions all afternoon to ensure Rangers won. My point is every single game will have to be scrutinised to ensure the authorities are not ensuring victories for the club from Ibrox.

If those people in charge of our game are so desperate to rip up the rules, give claims with no proof or evidence, and promote ideas of 'social unrest' to gain the result they desire, what wont they do?

It seems the result of next Friday's meeting has already been decided. I hope I'm wrong. However I honestly do not see any difference between that and just simply deciding the score of every match involving the new Rangers for the next year. I wouldn't want to watch ANY league where I know the team I'm following isn't allowed to win.

Sorry, bit rattled. Much like everyone else I suppose. How I wish we could just be discussing the minutiae of the pre-season friendlies.

Clearly we're not going to agree even if I'll probably end up going to Firhill despite this forthcoming stitch up.

Let's take a step back, CK, and tell us how you'd punt the values of this forthcoming season to fans less committed? Btw I'm not taking a cheap shot at what you say coming across as another I'm a better fan than you post but I think it's fair to say a huge chunk of Jags supporters don't go to Firhill just out of habit. They are still every bit Jags fans no better or worse than you or me. So, what's the selling points of a season playing in a division designed to see that one certain club ends up being promoted?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett