Do We Hate Rangers More Than We Love Thistle?

Alan Hansen

Seems to me that comments everywhere are almost exclusively negative about hoping clubs go bust etc Do we really care that much about Rangers/Sevco or whatever the hell they are called?I am a Thistle supporter and I am looking forward to see if Jackie can take us where we want to go next season lets get behind the players and look forward to a promotion push.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's clear that those walking away aren't doing so because of anti - Rangers feelings, but because the authorities are pushing through reforms they wouldn't for anyone other than a member of the OF.

We all have lines we won't cross and I've made mine clear in other threads.

Respect for those that do, despite the fact that this isn't (yet) a 'red flag' for me.

I actually believe that our game needs to move beyond our 19th century structures to survive and maybe even thrive again. Part of that may well be a malleable view of our league setup in the future, and my earnest hope is that this event could be the start of it. But we'd all need to accept change and the fact that the future might not look like the past.

Edited by Mr Scruff

Seems to me that comments everywhere are almost exclusively negative about hoping clubs go bust etc Do we really care that much about Rangers/Sevco or whatever the hell they are called?I am a Thistle supporter and I am looking forward to see if Jackie can take us where we want to go next season lets get behind the players and look forward to a promotion push.

I hate jingoism, bigotry, racism, arrogance and cheating. Rangers represent all that and even though the historic club is gone, people are trying to keep alive as much as that old club as possible. If they get back as quiickly as possible (Div 1/SPL 2) the attitude of their worst type of fan (who are a very large minority) will be just as bad - no, worse because they will brag how they cheated and got away with it and how the Scottish game can't survive without them.

They need to be brought down. The best thing would be for the club as a concept to cease to exist but failing that they should be in the juniors for three years before applying to the SFL. Allowing them into the 3rd is a compromise which will keep them quiet for a few years but they'll be back just as bad as ever eventually. However it would be nice to have these few years.

I'm araid you're buying into the propaganda - don't you remember their history? Have you already forgot tne, cheating, threats, the damage they've already done to football in our country?

Edited by Mr Bunny

Could'nt agree more.

I'm just looking forward to the season starting to cheer on my beloved Jags!

I too have noticed on more than one post a 'we hate Rangers more than a we love Thistle' bias. My own opinion is if Rangers are placed in the first division without EXTENSIVE league reconstruction then after 52 years of supporting Thistle I will never attend another professional football game involving any team from Scotland

No, but I agree with an intense dislike of the anti-bigotry, triumphalism that both sides of the OF dispense. Add cheating and the caving in to OF interests at the expense of every other club in Scotland, you get where people are coming from. The SFL are worse than useless - they wouldn't have sought to change the league structure if it hadn't been forced on them by the situation at Ibrox, and this adds to the anger that fans throughout Scotland are feeling.

No.

In wrecking themselves they have doing their level best to wreck the game completely up here taking the rest of the gane down with them into the gutter - we'd be fine without them - but the corruption and sleazeball tactics they've used by calling in favours from those in charge and also via journalists will live long in the memory.

Hate is a strong word and it's not what Jags fans do - if you really want to explore what 'hate' is go and have a look at some of their hate filled forums - like most others on here I'm quite ambivalent about them - I fervently wish they would just p*ss off into oblivion and their own theatre of hate gets levelled and turned into an Asda.

Edited by gianlucatoni

No.

For me, this is not about Rangers, it just happens that they are the club involved. For me this is about having a level playing field and if you are going to put it that bluntly, YES, my need for that is probably more than my love of Thistle. Just please don't include the media line of a hate fro Rangers, because that just isn't a fact.

No. Many fans I have spoken to believe the preferential treatment of Sevco proves that the game is corrupt. Regan and Doncaster have already stated that only 1 year out of the top division can be tolerated. No matter what, the commercial reality is that Sevco will be in the SPL the following season. If there is no change to the set up and Sevco are in div 1, then you can look forward to supporting Jackie and the boys knowing the league has already been decided, before a ball is kicked. Welcome to the football equivalent of WWE.

What's not to hate about that situation?

Could'nt agree more.

I'm just looking forward to the season starting to cheer on my beloved Jags!

:lol:

None of this is about "hating" Rangers. It's about refusing to accept preferential treatment for one club regardless of who they are.

You do realise that if Zombiehuns are allowed into the first division next year there will be no such thing as a "promotion push".

The reason for this is that the authorities have admitted that they will pull out all the stops to ensure Zombiehuns win the league as Sky demand that it happens.

Why anyone would consider going to watch a league that is blatantly fixed for one team to win is beyond me.

No

It's not about hating rangers, it's about serving up justice. Knowing in your mind that all teams should be treated equally and fairly.

I hate this idea of newco being voted in to div 1, and if they are, what would happen if they didn't get promoted to the spl? I'd piss myself.

Seriously tho, the sheer incompetence shown by the governing bodies throughout this shows that even after the whole newco thing is sorted, a bigger problem still exists.

Given the amount of ranting I do on and offline, the text messages I send in the hope of kicking off debate and the stew I'm in about all this, I'd say I certainly care more about Thistle than I dislike Rangers. 'Love' went a long, long time ago.

Fans of non-Old Firm clubs and the teams they follow have never had the opportunity they've got now to force change. Rangers, the Mr Creosote of Scottish football, has just eaten its last wafer thin mint. A disgusting, overindulged, abomination of a business.

When I were a lad :rolleyes: I could at least admire some of the footballers that played at Rangers (and Celtic). Nowadays people know more of the names of the suits at the clubs than the names of the players. What has happened to the game? It's more about business. Like our club's board, it's full of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

What I hate is the situation we're all in. Hopefully, Stenny's board is in a minority. I want to see equal treatment for all senior clubs.

For Rangers that means applying to the SFL and going for the Division Three slot. No preferential treatment to protect the SPL's television deal. Thistle's response to this should be the response Thistle has had from the SPL over the years: f*ck you.

If the SFA manages to browbeat the SFL clubs into accepting Rangers in Division One then forget any meaningful change. One of the first left bleeding from ears, nose and rectum by this will be Stenhousemuir. There guys, that's your reward.

Business as usual. With Rangers back in the SPL league reconstruction gets shoved onto the back burner. Any gains that have been made will be gradually eroded until they're gone, probably to the sound of applause from the gallery.

This is a crossroads moment. The good thing about ruins is that they're easily cleared and the building blocks can be re-fashioned into something of more use to more people rather than penthouses for the rich and shameless.

IMO, Stenny's statement has shown the decision has been made.

The game's over for me if it does go through.

I'm not forking out £260+ a year for no return. Sure I've done it in the past in the hope that, maybe, just maybe...

That despite the fact that one @rse cheek would come out complaining that the media, authorities or whoever favoured one over the other whilst we got incompetent refs like Brian Cassidy.

Despite the 11-1 voting system in an SPL which made sure they (@rse cheeks) got what they wanted.

Despite the SPL having no integrity by letting Aberdeen have a vote in relegating us despite the fact they stood to benefit financially by the promotion of the other club.

All that's happened now has proved I was probably wrong to even think 'maybe...'.

The game's a bogey.

I too have noticed on more than one post a 'we hate Rangers more than a we love Thistle' bias. My own opinion is if Rangers are placed in the first division without EXTENSIVE league reconstruction then after 52 years of supporting Thistle I will never attend another professional football game involving any team from Scotland

That's eerily my position exactly, though you might have one year more's experience as a Jags supporter!

In England, Newco would have to start again in the bottom tier of non-league football. That's what Accrington Stanley, Aldershot and (albeit in a different way) Wimbledon have done. Maidstone United just died.

And don't forget Halifax, Bradford Park Avenue, Boston Utd, Barrow, Workington and Darlington. Perhaps even Scarborough