The Return Of

Based on the current squad and McCall's comments, our team will be

Craig Hinchcliffe (until Bryn Halliwell or another number one is signed)

Paul Paton

John Robertson

Ian Maxwell (until Alan Archibald is fully fit)

Patrick Boyle (unless McCall can punt him and get a replacement)

Brian Hodge (until Jackie McNamara is fully fit)

David Rowson

Paul Cairney

Chris Erskine

Liam Buchanan

Simon Donnelly

Substitutes

Ryan Scully

Ross McGeough

Willie Kinniburgh

Ryan McBeth

Kris Doolan

Martin Grehan

Seven of the squad are 33 or older. Kinniburgh and Doolan were farmed to Clyde last season. Grehan rarely got off the bench. Of the youngsters, only McBeth appears to be a contender for a start.

A first choice goalkeeper and left-back are the immediate priorities but we also need a right-sided midfielder and another striker. Unless McCall can sign proven quality rather than potential, we will struggle to get into the top half of the table.

Based on the current squad and McCall's comments, our team will be

Craig Hinchcliffe (until Bryn Halliwell or another number one is signed)

Paul Paton

John Robertson

Ian Maxwell (until Alan Archibald is fully fit)

Patrick Boyle (unless McCall can punt him and get a replacement)

Brian Hodge (until Jackie McNamara is fully fit)

David Rowson

Paul Cairney

Chris Erskine

Liam Buchanan

Simon Donnelly

Substitutes

Ryan Scully

Ross McGeough

Willie Kinniburgh

Ryan McBeth

Kris Doolan

Martin Grehan

Seven of the squad are 33 or older. Kinniburgh and Doolan were farmed to Clyde last season. Grehan rarely got off the bench. Of the youngsters, only McBeth appears to be a contender for a start.

A first choice goalkeeper and left-back are the immediate priorities but we also need a right-sided midfielder and another striker. Unless McCall can sign proven quality rather than potential, we will struggle to get into the top half of the table.

Or....

Halliwell

Paton

Kinninburgh

Robertson

Boyle

Cairney

McNamara

Rowson

Erskine

Buchanan

Grehan

in either a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation with a bench of Hinchcliffe, Donnelly, Doolan, Burns, McBeth and McGeogh. Okay, defence looks a bit dodgy, but not a bad side. And that's assuming we don't bring anyone else into the squad AND we'd still have a fit Archie to bring back. Looking at the competition, I honestly think we'll compete. Dundee and Falkirk might seem like the major contenders, but don't forget they've got Chisholm and Pressley managing them. None of the rest look in any better shape than us. We can do this!

Or....

Halliwell

Paton

Kinninburgh

Robertson

Boyle

Cairney

McNamara

Rowson

Erskine

Buchanan

Grehan

in either a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation with a bench of Hinchcliffe, Donnelly, Doolan, Burns, McBeth and McGeogh. Okay, defence looks a bit dodgy, but not a bad side. And that's assuming we don't bring anyone else into the squad AND we'd still have a fit Archie to bring back. Looking at the competition, I honestly think we'll compete. Dundee and Falkirk might seem like the major contenders, but don't forget they've got Chisholm and Pressley managing them. None of the rest look in any better shape than us. We can do this!

I'd agree with Grehan up front to start with. I think he'll offer something different and he's young. Sid is fine for me but last season was surely a bit of an Indian summer for him and I'd expect his main playing role will be coming off the bench late on when the game opens up a bit and his passing can count. He can also play forward or midfield so is good cover that way.

Talking of which cover is our problem. I think we can - when everyone's fit - put out a good first 11 but we'll not be able to afford anything more than the occassional very short term loss of players. Anyone who comes in (if we do get a couple of extra players on top of Halliwell) will have to be adaptable - a defender will have to play anywhere in defence and a midfieder both wide and central. Anyone know if Hinchcliffe's any good at centre forward??

Edited by Mr Bunny

It seems to me looking at what is taking place across the division that all of the clubs are taking a broadly similar approach - small squad of recognised first team players to be supplemented by youth players. There has been some negativity about our squad but I think that is based on what is most fresh in people's minds which is the second half of the season. However if we cast our minds back to the first half of the season we were playing well most weeks and scoring was not too much of a problem so we need to replicate that and then hope that we avoid the loss of form that most of the squad suffered after Christmas.

It seems to me looking at what is taking place across the division that all of the clubs are taking a broadly similar approach - small squad of recognised first team players to be supplemented by youth players. There has been some negativity about our squad but I think that is based on what is most fresh in people's minds which is the second half of the season. However if we cast our minds back to the first half of the season we were playing well most weeks and scoring was not too much of a problem so we need to replicate that and then hope that we avoid the loss of form that most of the squad suffered after Christmas.

The slump in form last season, from January onwards, coincided with Gerry Britton's resignation as assistant manager. Tactically, he was awful without Gerry. McCall's January signings were a disaster even though injuries were a major problem.

We are now forced to face the new season with key members of last season's poor squad taking on player-coach roles. If we had a proven assistant manager or first team coach, I'd be more optimistic.

Our 1st choice 11 will be good enough to match most teams in this division on their day, but with suspensions, injury & loss of form, we're going to go through several bad parts to the season as there is little to replace the best players. However, we saw what McCall did with lesser resources at Airdrie, so you just never know.....

I just hope that we have a good start to the season (1st quarter) so that we have a cushion if & when the bad spell(s) comes.

A starting 11 of:

...................Halliwell

Paton.....Robertson.....Archibald.....McNamara(or new signing)

Cairney.....Rowson.....Hodge.....Erskine

.............Buchanan.....Grehan

& Subs:

Hinchy

Kinniburgh

MacBeth

Donnelly

Doolan

It isn't going to set the heather alight, but it's not that bad. I'm fairly happy with Kinniburgh being cover, however I think we need another CB (as Maxy is done, & Archie is injured for the 1st month or so). Obviously need to sign a goalie. Need a LB, fine at RB. Ideally need a LM & RM as well as another CM. We have 4 strikers, but I'd still rather have 1 more in as Grehan & Doolan are basically still untried.

So I make it we need 6 players (I know we can afford no where near that), but we'll get 1 or 2 max, be interesting to see who comes in & what position(s) they can play. If 1 is a goalie, then that leaves 1 outfield player to sign, I'm not too happy about that.

I think McCall will start with 3-5-2 btw. Halliwell, Robbo, McNamara, Archie, Paton, New signing, Rowson, Hodge, MacBeth, Buchanan, Grehan.

I know McCall's got previous for going with three at the back, but every comment I've read from Mcnamara indicates he's going to be playing central midfield. Given that Rowson will be in there as well - and assuming McCall's been watching the World Cup - the most likely formation will be a flat back four with Rowson and McNamara as holding midfielders, Grehan playing the lone central attacker role supported by Buchanan right and Erskine left and the 'Messi-role' being taken on by Donnelly or Cairney or McBeth. I can see this doing okay, actually.

I think the more pessimistic views of our chances this season don't take into account the fact that the opposition aren't much better off than ourselves. (Don't forget Falkirk have Pressley as manager...)

I know McCall's got previous for going with three at the back, but every comment I've read from Mcnamara indicates he's going to be playing central midfield. Given that Rowson will be in there as well - and assuming McCall's been watching the World Cup - the most likely formation will be a flat back four with Rowson and McNamara as holding midfielders, Grehan playing the lone central attacker role supported by Buchanan right and Erskine left and the 'Messi-role' being taken on by Donnelly or Cairney or McBeth. I can see this doing okay, actually.

I think the more pessimistic views of our chances this season don't take into account the fact that the opposition aren't much better off than ourselves. (Don't forget Falkirk have Pressley as manager...)

:o Don't go giving Bert any ideas! :D

Agree re McMamara playing alongside Rowson. I know if fit Jackie could fill in as a full back or a third centreback/sweeper like Storey two seasons ago. But the guy's coming back from serious injury, not expected to be fully fit till mid August at earliest and at his age bound to be a risk over 90mins. Playing a midfield role makes it far easier to sub him early.

Got a feeling that McCall will start with or experiment with a makeshift back four (Paton, Willie K, Robbo and A.N.Other). With two right footed centrebacks (tho' Robbo isn't too much a risk on his left) the A.N.Other has to be left sided so it's from Boyle, Hodge( :thinking: ), Maxwell or a new signing. Scary stuff :o

If we start with 3 at the back and he's still around I'd rather see Boyle at left centreback than Maxwell. Fingers crossed on the new signing, methinks. :)

Sticking our best goalscorer out on the wing is silly, has been done afew times, especially at the start of last season (I think it was then), but doesn't work. Especially as Buchanan isn't that good on the wing.

I don't see the contemporary 4-3-3 as being about a lone striker up front with two wingers, more that the front three work flexibly with the lone striker providing a target for the other two to play off. I'm sure McCall tried something like this against Airdrie away last season with Buchanan on the right, Doolan on the left and Donnelly up front. It was pretty effective, I think. (Despite his size, Donnelly holds the ball up really well.)

As for Liam being our top goal scorer, aye, well....

Seems to be a lack of faith in bringing in the young guys! Maybe McCall will start the season with a couple of the young lads?

I'd be happy with McGeough at RB & for us to sell Paton if anyone wants him. Robbo & McNamara, possibly even Kinniburgh can fill in at RB.

MacBeth will get games, but it's more likely to be at RM in a 4-4-2. I don't think Burns is quite there physically yet, but sure he'll get some games in pre-season & see how he does then. Out of the other youths, I'd say Lochhead & Campbell may make it into the 16 before the end of the season.

I'd be happy with McGeough at RB & for us to sell Paton if anyone wants him. Robbo & McNamara, possibly even Kinniburgh can fill in at RB.

MacBeth will get games, but it's more likely to be at RM in a 4-4-2. I don't think Burns is quite there physically yet, but sure he'll get some games in pre-season & see how he does then. Out of the other youths, I'd say Lochhead & Campbell may make it into the 16 before the end of the season.

I saw McGeough play 45 mins at left back and he seemed comfortable enough. Put another way I doubt in an emergency he'd be too shaky. He can play centreback as well so I'd hope he'd be considered for a place on the bench more often than not.

MacBeth really hates playing right midfield. I'm sure he'd prefer there to the bench but it's far from ideal playing a youngster out of position.

I saw McGeough play 45 mins at left back and he seemed comfortable enough. Put another way I doubt in an emergency he'd be too shaky. He can play centreback as well so I'd hope he'd be considered for a place on the bench more often than not.

MacBeth really hates playing right midfield. I'm sure he'd prefer there to the bench but it's far from ideal playing a youngster out of position.

I.ve also seen McGeough play 45 mins in right mid and he done better than in the first half where he played at right back, put at least 4 good crosses into the box (2 from almost at the bye-line). So he is pretty versatile. MacBeth is one I'm looking forward to seeing play more and think he and Cairney would be an ideal centre mid parntership if we are going with a 3-5-2 (with Rowser or Jaggy in behind them).

Got a feeling that McCall will start with or experiment with a makeshift back four (Paton, Willie K, Robbo and A.N.Other). With two right footed centrebacks (tho' Robbo isn't too much a risk on his left) the A.N.Other has to be left sided so it's from Boyle, Hodge( :thinking: ), Maxwell or a new signing. Scary stuff :o

If we start with 3 at the back and he's still around I'd rather see Boyle at left centreback than Maxwell. Fingers crossed on the new signing, methinks. :)

I know Hodge played half decent at left back when he came on against someone (ICT?) but his complete inability to tackle with any confidence- look at the amount of slide tackles he makes from 5 yards away- means he isn't a long term option there. We must surely be in the market for a new left back given that we've told our only "proper" left back he can go?

I don't see the contemporary 4-3-3 as being about a lone striker up front with two wingers, more that the front three work flexibly with the lone striker providing a target for the other two to play off. I'm sure McCall tried something like this against Airdrie away last season with Buchanan on the right, Doolan on the left and Donnelly up front. It was pretty effective, I think. (Despite his size, Donnelly holds the ball up really well.)

As for Liam being our top goal scorer, aye, well....

We started last season playing 4-3-3. McCall canned it after the 2-1 home LC defeat to QoS in which Buchanan was stuck out wide looking clueless, and Donnelly was dropping so deep from the central striker role that it was effectively a 4-6-0.

I would have thought that we'd be looking to play 3-5-2 (new left wing back required), the 4-2-3-1 everyone seems to be playing at the World Cup fails for us due to our a) total lack of pace in back 4 requiring a sweeper, and b ) our best striker really needs to play as part of a front 2 through the middle.

McNamara would seem to be ideal for a sweeper, I always thought you generally dropped further back as you got older, would also free up a space in midfield for one of the younger players. A 4-4-2 with Rowson and McNamara as our centre midfield pairing-no thanks.

I know Hodge played half decent at left back when he came on against someone (ICT?) but his complete inability to tackle with any confidence- look at the amount of slide tackles he makes from 5 yards away- means he isn't a long term option there.

A 4-4-2 with Rowson and McNamara as our centre midfield pairing-no thanks.

Can't really argue re Hodge. His badly timed tackling is dangerous and he's likely to seriously injure someone (probably himself) before long. Not so certain that makes him any worse a prospect at left back than in midfield (Bert's boiler room). Hardly a ringing endorsement for playing Hodge at all.

The Rowson and McNamara partnership is maybe not as negative as it sounds. I wouldn't envisage it lasting anything like 90 mins but it seemed to be one of the few positives down at Ayr. When McNamara broke his leg he was the furthest forward of any Jags player at the time. Hardly scientific, I know, but I thought the two old heads handled midfield well. :unsure:

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Can't really argue re Hodge. His badly timed tackling is dangerous and he's likely to seriously injure someone (probably himself) before long. Not so certain that makes him any worse a prospect at left back than in midfield (Bert's boiler room). Hardly a ringing endorsement for playing Hodge at all.

The Rowson and McNamara partnership is maybe not as negative as it sounds. I wouldn't envisage it lasting anything like 90 mins but it seemed to be one of the few positives down at Ayr. When McNamara broke his leg he was the furthest forward of any Jags player at the time. Hardly scientific, I know, but I thought the two old heads handled midfield well. :unsure:

Remember Harkins' first season? Didn't really have a settled position, couldn't tackle, not too fit etc... With the benefit of last season and a good pre-season under his belt I'm hopeful of seeing a much-improved Bryan Hodge this season. We all know he has the ability - he just needs to learn how to use it.