New Club Statement

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dumbarton have,they said no.Queen of south said yes to div1

Albion Rovers said that the club voted no to Sevco in SFL1. Most of the clubs had made public statements, either on their websites or to the media, before the vote this afternoon.

Still leaning towards it having been a no vote followed by just another stupid, ill-thought out statement. His private responses have been so clear about voting no that to have done anything else would finish him.

I hope so but our club has been silent this week whilst others made their voting intentions very clear.

I hope so but our club has been silent this week whilst others made their voting intentions very clear.

I can't explain their conduct, but I'm trying to be as fair as possible until they sort themselves out. They may have some weird explanation for how they've chosen to handle it. But, as I say, if it was a yes that would be unforgivable bearing in mind assurances given.

I can toatally understand the pessimsm and paranoia from a lot of Thistle fans right now, and I don't want to have a go at any of them. I'm not going to critisise anyone for not renewing STs until all the questions are answered, that's entirely up to the individual, but personally I've had more than enough negativity over the past few weeks. It's depressed me, frankly, and i now want to move forward and concentrate on the 12/13 1st division season. For me, it's over, and regardless of how the Thistle board voted, the right outcome was reached.

That aside, an regardless of which way they've voted, the BoD are not trusted by a large percentage of the fans and real changes need to be made at Thistle. They've caused unrest within the support for no gain. How they've voted is now of no consequence, but the way they treated the support definately is.

I can toatally understand the pessimsm and paranoia from a lot of Thistle fans right now, and I don't want to have a go at any of them. I'm not going to critisise anyone for not renewing STs until all the questions are answered, that's entirely up to the individual, but personally I've had more than enough negativity over the past few weeks. It's depressed me, frankly, and i now want to move forward and concentrate on the 12/13 1st division season. For me, it's over, and regardless of how the Thistle board voted, the right outcome was reached.

That aside, an regardless of which way they've voted, the BoD are not trusted by a large percentage of the fans and real changes need to be made at Thistle. They've caused unrest within the support for no gain. How they've voted is now of no consequence, but the way they treated the support definately is.

i think this is a really important point. if i was on the board i might be asking myself why large sections of the support don't seem to believe a word we say.

For what its worth this is the email I got from David Beattie last week and I thiought seemed to maybe indicate a no vote:

Sent: 05 July 2012 14:37

To: Curry Matthew

Subject: Re: No to Newco

Hi Matthew

There are some major decisions ahead for the whole of Scottish Football.

I fear very much for our Scottish game.

The Rangers demise has set a chain of events that may have cataclysmic financial consequences for many football clubs, thankfully not PTFC, as we have been very frugal over the last few years.

As you know we will vote NO and i believe that will be the correct thing to do and we, as a member of the SFL should not have been put into a situation where it was our responsibility to decide on the financial effect of having or not having Rangers in a top league - that should be the SFA's responsibility.

I fervently believe the reconstruction of Scottish Football is well overdue and we should be passionately discussing and voting on the detail of that issue and putting a timeline to achieve change.

I really do hope the Jags fans can concentrate on the great things that are happening at the club and get behind Jackie and the team.

Remember that every penny the fans put into the club, be it Season Tickets, programmes, 50/50 draw, Centenary Fund etc. has a direct impact on Jackie's playing budget.

I thank you for your kind words and support.

I would like to think, based on the above message from our Chairman to a fan, that we voted "No."

I'm satisfied that the SFL teams on the whole have acted properly in this whole saga.

If it turns out that we are one of the pariahs who voted "Yes", then all it means is that our Chairman is an ********* of the highest order. If he could, he would rig things. But he can't, and thankfully he'll eventually be gone. Again, the SFL have done the right thing, and I hope that we were with the majority. If not, it's tough, but I can live with it.

i think this is a really important point. if i was on the board i might be asking myself why large sections of the support don't seem to believe a word we say.

There's not been much in the way of confidence/morale boosting from the club for quite a while now, only bland statements full of business jargon and the appointment of people who are friends of those and such as those.

A few weeks ago we had Ajay's arrival. There seems to be about as much enthusiasm for that as a Dick Campbell signing at the closing of the transfer window.

Expect more of the same - it's like being run by the Cameron, Clegg and Gideon of Scottish football.

I have this horrible gut feeling that we voted yes, prove me wrong BOD

I think the club went with the flow, Norge. Mind you, I heard in work last night that there was a bid to put the vote off yesterday. That seems more like the Thistle thing to do; let someone else take 'ownership' of the nasty decisions. Which is what I reckon will happen.

I think Mckennan is being a bit unfair on Thistle and the SFL. This decision shouldn't have been foisted on them. Given that this affects the whole of Scottish football, I think that it would have better if all the organisations had met together at the same time weeks ago and if necessary split up to discuss separately. Anyway the SPL meet again on Monday and if the Inverness comments are anything to go by, it wouldn't surprise me if they overturn their original decision to not allow Sevco to play in SPL.

I go to Firhill to watch football (and get depressed more often than not).

I DON'T care now which way we voted - the decision has been made.

I'll be back at Firhill for the season starting. The only other option is spending the time with the wife and kids...

And anyway, I bet we abstained, and it was counted as a 'NO' - we shouldn't have been voting on allowing them into the 1st, as it's a conflict of interest!

Note that none of the 'established' Div 1 clubs appear to have confirmed their stance officially - an agreement? I doubt we'll ever find out one way or the other.

You do wonder if there has been an unwritten agreement. Given how poisonous this has been, and not of the SFL's making, it might have been more unifying with the result as it was to keep the voting secret. Maybe that's the reason?

You do wonder if there has been an unwritten agreement. Given how poisonous this has been, and not of the SFL's making, it might have been more unifying with the result as it was to keep the voting secret. Maybe that's the reason?

Serious question, how then do we know how Hamilton voted 'yes'?

Who confirmed that? Certainly not HAFC.

Yeah, that's why I asked! Noticeably they haven't issued anything to deny it tho!

& the way some feel that could have repercussions on crowds at NDP next season.

Also feel that's why certain clubs have come out & said we voted 'no'. They don't want home or visiting fans boycotting.

Which in turn comes back to our statement, asking for our fans support including financially. For that to happen I feel they're going to have to tell the fans.

Edited by Trotter

This is a tough one to analyse but, on balance, I think they must have voted no. Here's my thinking:

1. They are aware of our feelings on this issue and of the possibility that a significant number of fans would stay away should they have voted yes.

2. They publicly pledged to vote no, even if this was framed as an 'intention'.

3. There would have been a discussion prior to the vote, during which it would have become quite clear that the yes vote was never going to win irrespective of how PTFC voted.

4. They would be aware that the truth has a habit of leaking out.

For me point 3 means that there would have been absolutely no strategic benefit to be had from voting yes. To do so would be to chain yourself to a corpse. Not only that, it's a zombie corpse that's going to come back to life and eat your intestines for lunch. This isn't to say that they didn't want to vote yes, deep down; more that the circumstances dictated that they had to vote no. This latter point may explain the poorly worded statement - it has a huffy tone to it - although to be honest I'm struggling to explain that on any rational level.