Lets Not Get To Carried Away

Auld Jag

I agree that we have done well in the friendlies,although we lost both closed door games.But i do feel that a few on the forum are getting a bit carried away suggesting we will win the league.Maybe after supporting Thistle for more than 50years as i have done it is hard to get rid of the pesimist in me.I feel with 3 teams coming up from div2 we will not need to worry about relegation.But i do feel it is to early to be talking about us challenging.Lets get of to a good start and take it from there.Remember Morton last season?I feel that this season depending how the SPL clubs are getting on financially there could be a change in the leagues for 2013/14 so the higher we can finish the better.Saturday is our first competitve game and it will be a difficult one but imo it will also give us a better idea of how our season may go than any of our friendlies.

Include me out, AJ. I get over optimistic about every season so I'm just playing to form. I was one who thought Stuart Taylor would be the missing piece of the jigsaw. I fancied Tommy Stewart for 15-20 goals this time last season.

What I will say that since McCall arrived on the scene our players have looked fit & fresh but this is the first season at this time I think they've looked match fit. I hope that'll be the difference and there I go again with the optimism. But it's a different sort of optimism this time at least based on something a tad more obvious than false hopes about a couple players doing the business.

As a "glass half empty" type of person I never get carried away by the prospects of glory - I suspect the League will look something like the following by the end of the season

Falkirk :angry2:

Dunfermline :frantic:

Hamilton

Livi

Morton

Us :thumbdown::shok:

Raith Rvrs

Airdrie United

Cowdenbeath

Dumbarton :shok:

As a get out i suspect a division of 3 sections - Top 3; middle 4; bottom 3 - so positions therein are flexible.

As a "glass half empty" type of person I never get carried away by the prospects of glory - I suspect the League will look something like the following by the end of the season

Falkirk :angry2:

Dunfermline :frantic:

Hamilton

Livi

Morton

Us :thumbdown::shok:

Raith Rvrs

Airdrie United

Cowdenbeath

Dumbarton :shok:

As a get out i suspect a division of 3 sections - Top 3; middle 4; bottom 3 - so positions therein are flexible.

I think dunfermline will win the league and Airdrie will be bottom . I also think we will finish above Morton and Raith.So i think we will be top 5.

Thistle

Dunfermline

Livingston

Falkirk

Morton

Hamilton

Raith

Cowdenbeath

Airdrie

Dumbarton

I agree. Yes, I'm ridiculously optimistic at the start of every season, but there's something about this time around that feels different. The last time I saw a Thistle side play like the current one did against Celtic and Everton was in 70-71. It's not just that they're playing fresh, attractive football, the boys look positive in everything they do. I like the way they close down the opposition, keep the ball when they get possession and go forward from every position on the park, full backs as well as midfield. (I know Murray sits in, but you need someone like that to knit it all together.) Yes, I know that it wasn't the full Celtic or Everton side, but those guys were, allegedly, the best youngsters a Scottish side has to offer and an eleven made up from players who are pushing for a place in a Premiership side - and we dominated them completely. Reasons to be cheerful, part 41...

This is how my friend Mr Ladbroke sees it. (Other people who will take your money off you are also available.)

Dunfermline 5/2 Susp. Livingston 7/2 Susp. Falkirk 7/2 Susp. Hamilton 11/2 Susp. Partick Thistle 11/2 Susp. Morton 12/1 Susp. Raith Rovers 18/1 Susp. Cowdenbeath 25/1 Susp. Dumbarton 40/1 Susp. Airdrie United 40/1

Not going to make any wild predictions but what I will say is that I feel this is the best squad we've had for a number of years, in terms of both quality and depth. Whoever finishes above us won't be too far away from winning the league, in my opinion.

I'm always more optimistic than most each season, generally predicting 3rd or 4th based on nothing but seeing things through Red n Yella specks...but have a genuine good feeling about this season. I'm seriously considering putting money on a Jags promotion, but don't want to jinx it so will probably keep my money in my pocket ;)

I am also a JAGS fan of 50+ years & I have always been optimistic every pre-season.If you cannot be optimistic then what's the point

of supporting a team.

Having seen the performances in the pre-season tournament Jackie appears to have assembled a squad who are playing to

a system where players are interchangeable & are comfortable with this.

With ref to other posts re promotion if not Thistle then anyone but the Pars.

Yorkston & Jeffries a match made in Hell.

I am also a JAGS fan of 50+ years & I have always been optimistic every pre-season.If you cannot be optimistic then what's the point

of supporting a team.

Having seen the performances in the pre-season tournament Jackie appears to have assembled a squad who are playing to

a system where players are interchangeable & are comfortable with this.

With ref to other posts re promotion if not Thistle then anyone but the Pars.

Yorkston & Jeffries a match made in Hell.

You can support your team even if you are not optimistic.

Not getting carried away, though more optimistic than I have been in many a year.

Reason for the optimism:

Jackie looks like he has identified the players that can fulfill different roles when the need will undoubtedly arise;

The passing and movement has shown a vast improvement;

We look far more positive and pacier.

More to offer off the bench, and

Bannigan

... however the one question to be answered over whether my optimism will be fully justified or not; is how we respond to going a goal down.

I think we will be top four regardless, however if we show we have the confidence to stick with the game plan and can battle back from from behind then I believe we will be in with real shout.

Falkirk; Dunfermline and Livi are the teams I expect to be up there with us.

If Dumbarton away on the final day of the season turns out to be meaningful for the wrong reason, I promise never to be optimistic again!!!

Tip for most improved player this season: Elliot

I do feel this is the time of the season to be optimistic. Yes we'll probably be brought back to earth in the next few weeks but when we've got a not bad squad and you look at some teams that have challenged unexpectedly over the past few years there's no reason not to at least have a wee voice in your head telling you we could win the league.

As a reletive youngster, having only supported Thistle for around thirty odd years I have to admit that I'm like a wee boy every pre-season. That exuberance usually lasts all of ninety minutes, usually even less. Nonetheless it is surely one of the few joys, that a supporter of a "wee diddy team" gets is a week or two of harmless fantasy. I see no harm in it. in fact I think its vital to balance the vagaries of supporting the Jags. Don.t get me wrong I certainly wouldn't advocate in any shape or form the sort of self delusion that is being engaged in south of the river. Its fine to be optimistic and I really do try hard to be, but as I'm sure most of you will agree supporting Thistle soon dispells any notions of grandeur.

Beat Clyde by 5 goals or more this weekend, we will win the league.

Beat Clyde by 3 or more, but less than 5, we will finish third.

Beat Clyde by 2 clear goals, we will finish second.

Beat Clyde by only one goal, we will finish fifth.

Draw with Clyde, we will finish sixth.

Lose by one goal to Clyde, we will finish fourth.

Lose by 2 goals or more, we will finish seventh.

We won't finish this season any lower than 7th.

Sorry but I don't agree.

We need optimism.

After everything that has went on this pre-season we need a lift. Optimism generates cash and that's exactly what we need right now.

I don't think anyone is getting carried away at all. I haven't read or heard anyone say "We are going to run away with the league" - not without tongue firmly in cheek anyway.

We have played some great football against decent opposition, the new signings seem to be fitting in very well and scoring goals already.

We haven't had much to be optimistic about at PTFC for a very long time.

I say we stop playing this down and start enjoying it while it lasts!!!

Sorry but I don't agree.

We need optimism.

After everything that has went on this pre-season we need a lift. Optimism generates cash and that's exactly what we need right now.

I don't think anyone is getting carried away at all. I haven't read or heard anyone say "We are going to run away with the league" - not without tongue firmly in cheek anyway.

We have played some great football against decent opposition, the new signings seem to be fitting in very well and scoring goals already.

We haven't had much to be optimistic about at PTFC for a very long time.

I say we stop playing this down and start enjoying it while it lasts!!!

:happy2:

I say pffft to a lack of optomism.

There is nothing to fear from any of the teams in this league. We have the best squad we've had for a long time (I wouldn't mind seeing another centre half coming in but that's being greedy).

I cannot wait to go to Alloa on Sat, reckon we could have a good day...

Maybe Jags fans will be toasting the side with a drop of this... http://www.gaelicwhisky.com/shop-macnamara.asp The new Lindauer???

I can't see how not getting carried away means you lack optimism. I agree that the squad looks good, played well at the weekend and there isn't a better chance to win the league.

But friendlies mean hee haw and the division will be as cut throat as ever this season. I'm looking forward to the new season but at the same time I'm not underestimating our opposition.