Grammer

stolenscone

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2012-2013/august_2012/macb_interview_with_the_gaffer

First line, middle paragraph: " 'their macb boy' "

I don't know why so many people find it so difficult to get apostrophes right. It's not that difficult. A few short tips:-

They're: Only ever used as an abbreviation of "they are". NEVER used in the possessive, which is "their".

It's: Only ever used as an abbreviation of "it is". NEVER used in the possessive, which is "its".

Don't / Won't / haven't / shouldn't: "do not" / "will not" / "have not" / "should not". All abbreviations, so all requireing an apostrophe ... ALWAYS.

You're: Means "you are". Your means something belonging to you.

The Possessive: As a general rule of thumb, other than "they're" and "it's", unless you are dealing with an abbreviation, think about whether someone owns the thing you are talking about. If they do, then you probably need an apostrophe.

If you're ("you are") not sure then LEAVE IT OUT ALTOGETHER!!! I'd ("I would") rather have a missing apostrophe any day than a misplaced one.

I feel like one of those people on a Grumpy Old Men programme, but I can't (short for "cannot") tell you how much it gets on my lariat.

I'm ("I am") off for a lie down in a darkened room.

"Our sponsors have also adopted striker Mark McGuigan this season as their 'macb boy' and he'll be doing regular blog updates..."

What's wrong with this?? Given that you have incorrectly spelled the title of your thread I would leave it there if I were you.

(NB - Apologies if it was originally wrong and has now been corrected.)

Btw, "All abbreviations, so all requireing an apostrophe ... ALWAYS." ( :secret: )

:D

I stpped getting annoyed when I realised that whenever I complained, I always made an arse of it or got really paranoid that I had.

As long as there.is no ambiguity, I don't think there's a problem.

I think when something is put up on an official site they should take a bit of extra care about grammar/spelling - and about the way things are said in general. On unofficial forums like this it shouldn't matter so long as what's meant is clear.

A lot of problems come about I think from the habit of relying on spelling and grammar checkers which are never 100% reliable. Always proof read ... again this doesn't apply so much to us lot here.

I stpped getting annoyed when I realised that whenever I complained, I always made an arse of it or got really paranoid that I had.

As long as there.is no ambiguity, I don't think there's a problem.

The problem is that there is usually always some ambiguity introduced by the mistakes, even if you can pretty quickly fathom out what the writer meant.

The rules have generally evolved for good reason. If some people simply don't want to play by them, then things could descend into chaos.

Edited by Jaggernaut

It's really refreshing that there's somone who cares about the correct position of the apostrophe. We were taught the do's and don'ts of apostropes in primary school in the sixties, but no one seems to care any more. My wife thinks I'm too pedantic about it, but I think there should be a 'correct apostophe position' campaign.

Well done to stolenscone!!!!!

It's really refreshing that there's somone who cares about the correct position of the apostrophe. We were taught the do's and don'ts of apostropes in primary school in the sixties, but no one seems to care any more. My wife thinks I'm too pedantic about it, but I think there should be a 'correct apostophe position' campaign.

Well done to stolenscone!!!!!

Oddly enough.....

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/