Official Website's New Design

kni

Simple question - What do you think of it? http://ptfc.co.uk/home

IMO, it looks amateurish compared the old one. The choice of font(s) is poor. The navigation is unclear. I hope that it did not cost us much if anything.

I was about to start the same topic. I like the design but it needs tweaking. These are my suggestions, but obviously others may disagree.

• The font as you say is tricky to read, they should change it.
  • There should be a heading on the home page, the club badge isn't really enough.
  • The navigation bar could do with something to help it stand out, maybe a border.
  • The drop down menus from the navigation bar needs a border.
  • The main news stories on the home page need something other than a massive photo and a tiny heading. Maybe reduce the size of the photo and add a short caption.
  • The columns on the home page (next/recent matches and latest media) could do with clear headings.

Had a wee play about with it and I think it is better than old website with lots more on it.

I would say it is easier to navigate and I like the news section up the top but I did like seeing the previous match and next match at the top. The matches at the side doesn't stand out enough.

Good see that the youth have a section too and you can see their fixtures and results if you want.

Don't like Doolan and Murray as the background though! Actually creeps me out a bit!

Edited by little_miss_jag

I think it's pretty good. I like the way everything for each match (team, reaction, etc) is now in one place, and it's good to have a match archive now. There are some niggles, but none of them are big deals.

But please, fix the video player. It doesn't let me play in full screen and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Enough people use modern, HTML 5 browsers, why not support that?

The back ground needs to brighter than the picture of Doolan and Murray - something a bit more red and yellow!!

I like the picture as a background, but the contrast of the dark background with white page can also make reading difficult. In fact if they change the white to a light grey it would really help with both the contrast and the font.

I like the picture as a background, but the contrast of the dark background with white page can also make reading difficult. In fact if they change the white to a light grey it would really help with both the contrast and the font.

Yeah I know what you mean but I am just sick to death of that new top! We just need some red and yellow!

Much better clearer to read IMO.

The only thing I would change is to host the highlights on a YouTube channel and embed it into the page. Keeps hosting costs down as its all streamed from YouTube plus the highlights can be put into widescreen

The only thing I would change is to host the highlights on a YouTube channel and embed it into the page. Keeps hosting costs down as its all streamed from YouTube plus the highlights can be put into widescreen

I think there might be copyright issues with doing that, though Aidrie host theirs on Vimeo and embed it onto their site, so maybe not. Unfortunately, I think widescreen is out of the picture (pardon the pun) unless the club buys a new camera. Given that the coverage is acceptable compared to some others, there isn't too much to complain about.

A splash screen! FFS, why not let's go and hire a miner's son to manage?

Once you get past that ("If" in the case of a mobile: you'll have to peer at the tiny link at the top right!), there are two players, not even in club colours, glowering at you, one on each side, along with a less visible club crest. Have they commissioned usability testing and then done the opposite of all that was recommended? :red_card:

Going through the normal tests of the W3C for one page, it had 10 errors and 2 warnings.

Oh, and they've retained one of the particularly silly features of the old design - keeping "Media" separate from results and reports.

Edited by Fearchar

Looks fine to me and I really like the fact there are now sections on the youth teams' fixtures and the community work! There are some sections that take a few "clicks" to get to from the homepage but that is not a big issue for me.

I am sure the people responsible will take onboard constructive criticism and we will see the website evolve over time.