So, Who To Sign?

If we get a wee bit cash over the next week, who should McNamara sign? I think McMenamin would be worth going for, but we have a totally sh*t record of buying strikers who are prolific against us and then singularly fail to produce he goods when in the red and yella. How much would it cost us to clone Kris Doolan?

I couldn't help but notice that our squad isn't the deepest in the world. We've got a very good 1st 11, a decent 16, but not much beyond that especially given some are likely to be loaned out if they haven't been already. I don't think we necessarily need another striker, but an out-and-out winger wouldn't be sniffed at.

I can't see us signing anyone in this window apart from maybe on loan. Possibly another CB who can cover RB as well. I think we're short of quality up front if Doolan gets injured but he's already signed McGuigan and Craigen in the last few months.

Also not sure where the "wee bit of cash" is coming from, unless SovvyCo beat Falkirk in the Ramsdens and we draw them away from home.

The chances of us getting another player in will be slim, unless we draw Rangers in the next round in the cup then there may be some movement.

An experienced CB would be ideal or an experienced striker incase of injury to Cover for Doolan/Archie, we'll have to go to the emergency loan market should further players be required I suspect.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

If we assume that the club is on budget at the moment and they are looking at crowds of 2,500 to break even then we are currently 1,000 ahead of that. If we can get 3,000 for the game on Saturday (which is achievable) then that is 1,500 people more than budgeted for plus the extra programmes bought over the 2 games. The club have sold more season tickets than last season along with player sponsorships and I could only see one empty trackside board at the Falkirk match so I assume this income stream is also up (or certainly not any worse) on last season.

I actually don't think we need to sign anyone at the moment unless there is an injury or a player moves on. Hopfully we can stay around the top of the table until January and then strengthen for the second half of the season which is what we failed to do the season we finished second.

I doubt we'll be on a break even budget considering we lost the £100k+ that the warriors brought in.

Yes we may be on budget for estimated crowds (remember after only 1 match, we probably made a loss going to Forfar!) but that will probably still mean we're on course to lose a sizeable amount of money. We need a good cup run or a sustained title challenge that sees us get crowds consistently over 3,000.

We did let Fraser & Lindsay go so there may be money to get someone in, even on a 3 month contract. I guess it depends if the manager wants anyone in just now. McAleer signed & sent on loan so maybe he's happy working with the squad we've got.

Fraser and Lindsay had a year left on their contracts. Terminating the contracts would have cost the club a significant amount of cash.

I doubt we'll be on a break even budget considering we lost the £100k+ that the warriors brought in.

Yes we may be on budget for estimated crowds (remember after only 1 match, we probably made a loss going to Forfar!) but that will probably still mean we're on course to lose a sizeable amount of money. We need a good cup run or a sustained title challenge that sees us get crowds consistently over 3,000.

Whilst we have lost the Warriors' income and will now have to pay for the pich maintanence (the Warriors used to pay for that) we have gained the income from Celtic's U20 team playing their home games at Firhill so we will probably still be down but not by the full amount the Warriors gave us. We also budget for going out of cups at the first round so by progressing we have made additional money and the crowd of over 1,600 against Queens Park would offset any loss made by the Forfar tie (hopefully coach hire does not cost that much). There is also the shorts sponsor (Braehead Arena) we did not have last season on top of increased season ticket sales and the money we will get from the SFL getting a TV deal through the Newco situation.

My assertion that we are operating a break even budget was as a result of a discussion with David Beattie and I assume he knows the situation.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Fraser and Lindsay had a year left on their contracts. Terminating the contracts would have cost the club a significant amount of cash.

I don't know enough about how these things operate but the players might have accepted a small pay off so that they could leave and get themselves a new club (I read that Lindsay is now at Stalybridge Celtic) and as they were on the wage bill it would mean that we actually save money over the course of the seaon.

Whilst we have lost the Warriors' income and will now have to pay for the pich maintanence (the Warriors used to pay for that) we have gained the income from Celtic's U20 team playing their home games at Firhill so we will probably still be down but not by the full amount the Warriors gave us. We also budget for going out of cups at the first round so by progressing we have made additional money and the crowd of over 1,600 against Queens Park would offset any loss made by the Forfar tie (hopefully coach hire does not cost that much). There is also the shorts sponsor (Braehead Arena) we did not have last season on top of increased season ticket sales and the money we will get from the SFL getting a TV deal through the Newco situation.

My assertion that we are operating a break even budget was as a result of a discussion with David Beattie and I assume he knows the situation.

Are Celtic paying us anything? If they are, is it anything near what the warriors paid us? I doubt it.

I haven't seen anything that suggests we will benefit from a tv deal, I know all money is usually split 30 ways but I haven't seen this mentioned. I did read that the SPL have yet to pay the SFL clubs the £2M that they are supposed to every season.

I honestly have no idea if we are on track to break even, I wouldn't expect our chairman to say anything else at this time anyway, if we are there will need to have been a significant increase in sponsorship (whether through new sponsors or whatever arrangement we have with Europa/Billy Allan). Season ticket sales are up on last season but again not so much that it makes much of a dent in the £100k+ black hole the warriors left.

If we assume that the club is on budget at the moment and they are looking at crowds of 2,500 to break even then we are currently 1,000 ahead of that. If we can get 3,000 for the game on Saturday (which is achievable) then that is 1,500 people more than budgeted for plus the extra programmes bought over the 2 games. The club have sold more season tickets than last season along with player sponsorships and I could only see one empty trackside board at the Falkirk match so I assume this income stream is also up (or certainly not any worse) on last season.

I actually don't think we need to sign anyone at the moment unless there is an injury or a player moves on. Hopfully we can stay around the top of the table until January and then strengthen for the second half of the season which is what we failed to do the season we finished second.

I'd suggest your figures are pretty accurate and as such, it may be the case that we have between £25K and £30K extra, that was not originally budgeted for. It's down to Jackie, if he sees fit, to go to the board and ask that he gets that cash. However, £30K is just as important to the board to use to keep the club running.

30k will allow you to offer a wage of 700 quid a week, til the end of the season. Then they become part of next seasons budget.

I'd like us to use the money, if its there, to bring in another player. If we are sitting around Christmas at the top of the league, crowds will definetly have increased, enough to help the board and the manager in January.

When does the Queens Park lads contract expire? How much would it cost to pick him up in January, after monitoring his progress. He's only just broke through from the youth ranks, so needs first team games.

Edited by potty trained

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Nonsense. Significant? They were on buttons.