Scott Foxes Positioning In Goals

topcat

I think someone mentioned on another thread about him possibly loosing concentration especially in recent games were we have dominated posession.

I can only really comment for the Falkirk game that I was at were Foxes position and coming to far out of his goal meant he could not cover properly their only goal. Too be honest there player should never have scored from that attempt.

But I am sure I read during the Live report of the Dumbarton game that he was nearly caught out by a long range effort that went narrowly past the post and from what I hear was also caught for the Accies goal the other night.

I hope that the coaching staff are having a word for him to not come so far out of his goal. I,ve got to say when the keeper is in posession I never like it when they kick the ball up the field by coming out of the 12 yard box. It doesn,t gain much of an advantage and leaves them exposed to quick counter attacks.

I think someone mentioned on another thread about him possibly loosing concentration especially in recent games were we have dominated posession.

I can only really comment for the Falkirk game that I was at were Foxes position and coming to far out of his goal meant he could not cover properly their only goal. Too be honest there player should never have scored from that attempt.

But I am sure I read during the Live report of the Dumbarton game that he was nearly caught out by a long range effort that went narrowly past the post and from what I hear was also caught for the Accies goal the other night.

I hope that the coaching staff are having a word for him to not come so far out of his goal. I,ve got to say when the keeper is in posession I never like it when they kick the ball up the field by coming out of the 12 yard box. It doesn,t gain much of an advantage and leaves them exposed to quick counter attacks.

He mis kicked a clearance straight to a Dumbarton player last Saturday. Was lucky to get away with it but other than that he had a very good game with one outstanding save in second half. Yes he made an error of judgement with Falkirk goal but he again also had some great saves.

I wasn't at game mid week so won't comment.

I'm perfectly happy that we have Fox as our number one.

I don't think the issue is his positioning, but it might be that in games where he isn't seeing that much of the ball he is losing concentration. Saying that, I've only been to the Falkirk game.

When thinking about keepers coming out the box for kicks, it makes sense as a kick is more likely to reach it's intended target, or land too far from the goal for the opposition to take advantage.

I have no problems with Fox and also believe he is our number 1.

Just concerned that this is something he could improve on.

I guess I am just old fashioned and like to see a keeper stay in his 12 yard box unless he has no option. Kicking a ball upfield from the D is far enough.

Edited by topcat

I'm not sure how much we can really blame fox for these. Going in order, the Falkirk goal was a great strike which no-one saw coming (really, you would have expected the player to have taken at least one touch, by which point Fox would have been in a much better position). Against Dumbarton, that was a mis-kick, and while he was lucky nothing came of it, he is human. Against Hamilton, again it was a great strike which no-one was ready for. Like the first Queen's Park goal, two keepers would have struggled to keep that out.

I think it's important to remember two things here. First, Fox has saved us many times with superb reaction saves, like the ones against Dumbarton and Falkirk. Second, his style is to control the defence, which often means coming off his line and sometimes out his box to take control of the situation. It's effective, and he can start attacking moves from there. Unlike Bryn Halliwell (remember him?), he doesn't stray off his line for no reason, he positions himself deliberately to boss the defence. On the other hand, Ryan Sculley tends to stick to his line and rely on his defence to deal with any danger. It's an equally effective style, but the change for the Queen's Park match meant things looked a bit shaky at the back, and Archie's absence didn't help matters.

In short, Fox isn't doing anything wrong, and remains one of the best keepers at this level.

I have no problems with Fox and also believe he is our number 1.

Just concerned that this is something he could improve on.

I guess I am just old fashioned and like to see a keeper stay in his 12 yard box unless he has no option. Kicking a ball upfield from the D is far enough.

What 12 yard box? :P

I think its disgraceful that our goalkeeper has let in 1 goal in 3 league games. Fox out :frantic:

It's panic station , calm down people! He made a mistake v Dumbarton which didn't result in a goal , made a world class saved v Dumbarton which looked a certain goal but it wasn't , but you lot still concentrate on the mistake ,WOW

I'm not sure how much we can really blame fox for these. Going in order, the Falkirk goal was a great strike which no-one saw coming (really, you would have expected the player to have taken at least one touch, by which point Fox would have been in a much better position). Against Dumbarton, that was a mis-kick, and while he was lucky nothing came of it, he is human. Against Hamilton, again it was a great strike which no-one was ready for. Like the first Queen's Park goal, two keepers would have struggled to keep that out.

I think it's important to remember two things here. First, Fox has saved us many times with superb reaction saves, like the ones against Dumbarton and Falkirk. Second, his style is to control the defence, which often means coming off his line and sometimes out his box to take control of the situation. It's effective, and he can start attacking moves from there. Unlike Bryn Halliwell (remember him?), he doesn't stray off his line for no reason, he positions himself deliberately to boss the defence. On the other hand, Ryan Sculley tends to stick to his line and rely on his defence to deal with any danger. It's an equally effective style, but the change for the Queen's Park match meant things looked a bit shaky at the back, and Archie's absence didn't help matters.

In short, Fox isn't doing anything wrong, and remains one of the best keepers at this level.

The Falkirk goal you could see as soon as the pass was even made. I used to take the same shot all the time playing seven a side as my ball control is crap.

Instead of chastising Fox for a "howler" against Accies, which it wasn't, how about we credit the finish?

If it had been a Thistle player (Erskine for example) everyone would be going on about it for years to come...

Sometimes there is just nothing a goalkeeper can do.

Fox is a great keeper at this level and don't believe he is too far off jonny Tuffey standard when he was at his best.

He has let a few long range efforts in, Falkirk one caught everyone off guard.

He has made a few crucial saves in the opening games and I am absolutely confident in his abilities plus he is young also so hopefully we can extend his contract.

Solid goaly; maybe never quite regained the form he had in his first season with us, but more than good enough!

For the first 6 months after his arrival, I would probably say he was the best goalkeeper I've seen in my time watching the Jags; it was like he had magnets in his gloves. If he had maintained that form, he would have been pinched off us by now.

Still tend to think Tuffey is/was slightly superior but there's no doubt Foxy is one of the better keepers in this league. Still got plenty of time to develop too. 5 clean sheets out of 7 games is also a record not to be sniffed at.

Edited by Armand2

For the first 6 months after his arrival, I would probably say he was the best goalkeeper I've seen in my time watching the Jags; it was like he had magnets in his gloves. If he had maintained that form, he would have been pinched off us by now.

Still tend to think Tuffey is/was slightly superior but there's no doubt Foxy is one of the better keepers in this league. Still got plenty of time to develop too. 5 clean sheets out of 7 games is also a record not to be sniffed at.

Johnny Tuffey had 39 clean sheets in Thistle colours in his 3 and 1/2 seasons in goal.

Johnny Tuffey had 39 clean sheets in Thistle colours in his 3 and 1/2 seasons in goal.

Some more facts: according to Wiki, Tuffey played 110 games for us so that means he had a clean sheet record of 35.5%. Going by the official site, Fox has played 65 games and kept 29 clean sheets, meaning a ratio of 44.6%.

Some more facts: according to Wiki, Tuffey played 110 games for us so that means he had a clean sheet record of 35.5%. Going by the official site, Fox has played 65 games and kept 29 clean sheets, meaning a ratio of 44.6%.

Fox has played 72 games(going by the Thistle programme)

Still a 40.3% clean sheet record then which is pretty good going. Over his time with us so far, he's averaged 12 clean sheets a season. Almost half-way there already.

He didn't concede a goal at home from open play(in the league) for the first 4 months of being here.