U 16S In The North Stand

les

The North Stand is great and I can see why everyone wants to sit there but this imo is yet another example of parents wanting everything their way for them and their kids.

Children of 12- 16 are not mature enough to be amongst the grown ups who may sing and swear!

This is what i don;t agree with, if a 15 year old comes along with a group of say 17/18 year old friends that all go to away games together its not parents wanted cheaper prices for their kids its teenagers wanted a better and more fun experience.

Also children aged 15/16 are definitely 'mature enough' to hear swear words and singing, thats ridiculous.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not complaining. Just expressing an aspiration.

The kids can aspire to entering the North Stand (not a euphemism!) when they are 16 then.

The north stand needs to stay kid free. Children of 12- 16 are not mature enough to be amongst the grown ups who may sing and swear! I am sorry that people may disagree but I am sure the kids throwing sweets in the city end last season were no younger than 13/14. The parent and child idea wouldn't work because some parents going by the city end of JHS last season, have no control over their kids. Maybe you feel that you wouldn't be offended by some of the things you would hear but one parent would get a bit precious about something and ruin it for everyone.

My suggestion is if you want atmosphere - get the kids singing themselves.

This - while I'm sure that the majority of those entering the North Stand would know that pretty much anything goes, I don't think we have to imagine too hard to see that there is a level at which some parents would decide was beyond acceptable for their kids and start complaining. I'm not against the (factually incorrect) paedo chants of a few weeks ago - I found it funny myself, but I wouldn't want to be explaining it to my boy or having him join in with them. I perhaps sympathise with parents who take their kids to away games and can feel amongst it one week, and separated from it the next week, but it is what it is, and Firhill is a better place for it.

I sit at the city end with my boy. We decided to sit there because that's when the atmosphere was. To be honest, I'm a bit gutted it's moved, but the noise they make now is better than it ever was in the city end for the last few years. The team is producing the goods on the park and Firhill is a magic place to be just now. JH was buzzing before the Hamilton game, but we really do only sing in the JH when we're winning.

I do think it's unfair to say parents want it all - I don't think I've read a post on this topic that states this, but most of them have been twisted and thrown back as if they have. This is what usually happens as soon as a topic involving kids is raised on here. Likewise, some people need to get a grip and stop pulling arbitrary ages at which entry to the North Stand should have been set at - where did '12' come from?!

The club through onethistle are trying to improve things. The North Stand move has undoubtedly been a success and is helping improve the atmosphere at the games, bringing back lapsed fans and long may it continue. It doesn't need watered down. By the time I'll be able to go with my boy, I'll hopefully have saved my daughter from her mother's east end leanings, so I'm probably about 15 years away, but it's something to aspire to, I guess.

before this season i was never that too bothered about a home cause the atmosphere was rotten, but still went, now that the north stand has came active its been bloody fantastic, seeing the same few hundred faces every week and being in an atmosphere without wee kids screaming is great. yes we were all kids once but keeping it over 16s only is the only way to go. when they turn 16 then yes they can come in the north stand because that is the rules. this is the first time at thistle i've felt that its us fans that are being looked at first

I have a question to the powers that be.

What happens to the North Stand if PTFC get promoted this season?

We get more people in it hopefully.

This is a long term project. We've had a good start, but that's all it is - a start.

We need to keep building year on year with the north stand.

We certainly won't be putting an end to it after one season, especially if it ends with a promotion.

What happens if we get Sevco at home in the semi of the Ramsden's?

Do you want the lottery numbers as well?

To answer your question, I don't know.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We will be fighting to make sure that we retain the north stand

Edited by ian_mac

Sorry for the mega multi-reply; but my thoughts:

At the moment a fair compromise seems to be if you're interested in going in the north stand and are in the 14-16 bracket you pay your £12 and you are unlikely to have anybody demanding you prove you are old enough. On balance, kids should be allowed in the North Stand too with suitable warnings for the more precious of parents

I for one would not mind paying £12 to see him over the finishing line to lifelong support.

That's the way I see it too: if the parents of teenagers are cool with it - and are happy to pay, and if the older weans would be up for it - that's fine. Really can't see a problem with that. If I'm willing to pay for my teenager and I don't mind him hearing more, ehm, rustic, language, why is there a problem?

Yeh, the cops might be fuds about it but we can still put the case.

Kids are the future? Your kids are thistle fans? Your kids will bring their kids? No way! If you actually bothered to read my posts on this maybe you would understand my point of view.

Kids are the future so treating those who don't have kids now but will have in the future like they are valued fans doesn't do any harm and in fact builds and restores that fan trust! The north stand makes me feel valued despite having no kids!

I am sick to death of folk with kids on here complaining about everything that does not go there way!

As I said read my posts before having a go!!

sigh.

LMJ, your relentless posts on this issue are now approaching the deranged. What is with this weanophobia? I'm not taking the piss: serious question - just what is your problem?

Please don't just reiterate the "you should read my posts": I've probably read them all and honestly, you might want to consider whether your arguments still remain within the realms of reason here...

Edited by Watson Towers

I find some of the replies on this thead extremely depressing, I must say.

I started going to Thistle games without parental accompaniment, with norgethistle of these parts, in 1988.

We started off standing down the front below the pie shed and gradually made our way towards the fence where it was all hapening, well before we were 16.

It was a rite of passage we were proud of and it should be no different today.

Given the numbers in the North Stand at the moment, if it's the Police calling the shots, they should be asked to reconsider.

Edit: Regardless of all I've said above I'm still a bit miffed about why I couldn't, if I wanted, take my 4 year old son behind the goals. How many other grounds in Scotland have an over 16's only stand 'on Police advice'? None?

Edited by H Wragg

sigh.

LMJ, your relentless posts on this issue are now approaching the deranged. What is with this weanophobia? I'm not taking the piss: serious question - just what is your problem?

Please don't just reiterate the "you should read my posts": I've probably read them all and honestly, you might want to consider whether your arguments still remain within the realms of reason here...

I don't have a fear of kids, I just don't want to spend my Saturday afternoon having to give brats into trouble. Last season was awful, no atmosphere and just kids running around and screaming for 90 minutes. Sorry but I don't pay £17 so I can sit in a crèche. If some of the parents could control their kids that would be a start. If the kids want to through sweets then there is a kids section where they can sit and throw sweets till they are blue in the face. If a parent wants to give me into trouble for swearing whilst sitting in the city end then they should sit in the kids end. Sorry but as I have said I am 22 and I don't want to sit on a Saturday afternoon babysitting brats! I think it is perfectly reasonable to not want to sit amongst kids who cannot behave and parents who cannot control them.

I work hard and I look forward to Saturdays for football, I am young and I don't want or have kids yet, I don't see why I should pay my money and just put up with it!

I am sure they are plenty of people who agree with me but would rather not argue with people which is fair enough, I just get a bit bored all this "I want" attitude from parents.

The north stand is great I will carry on sitting there and I hope the police keep it over 16 only.

You got your kids section and your own wee singing section. If you are so jealous about the north stand - start a sing song. If there are so many dads here so desperate to get to sit with people who sing - why don't you all get together and start a wee sing song of your own? Why don't you teach your kids the words and get the Thistle ultras on their feet and singing? Would be a much better use of time and energy than complaining about the fact you bring your kids to the game so you can't sit with the adults.

I don't have a fear of kids, I just don't want to spend my Saturday afternoon having to give brats into trouble. Last season was awful, no atmosphere and just kids running around and screaming for 90 minutes. Sorry but I don't pay £17 so I can sit in a crèche. If some of the parents could control their kids that would be a start. If the kids want to through sweets then there is a kids section where they can sit and throw sweets till they are blue in the face. If a parent wants to give me into trouble for swearing whilst sitting in the city end then they should sit in the kids end. Sorry but as I have said I am 22 and I don't want to sit on a Saturday afternoon babysitting brats! I think it is perfectly reasonable to not want to sit amongst kids who cannot behave and parents who cannot control them.

I work hard and I look forward to Saturdays for football, I am young and I don't want or have kids yet, I don't see why I should pay my money and just put up with it!

I am sure they are plenty of people who agree with me but would rather not argue with people which is fair enough, I just get a bit bored all this "I want" attitude from parents.

The north stand is great I will carry on sitting there and I hope the police keep it over 16 only.

You got your kids section and your own wee singing section. If you are so jealous about the north stand - start a sing song. If there are so many dads here so desperate to get to sit with people who sing - why don't you all get together and start a wee sing song of your own? Why don't you teach your kids the words and get the Thistle ultras on their feet and singing? Would be a much better use of time and energy than complaining about the fact you bring your kids to the game so you can't sit with the adults.

*Sigh*

Excellent post.

So, again, to clarify.

We have 5 folk who have kids and would like to see the police reconsider the policing of the stand?

Les, wants to move as she struggles with the hill and has a 12 year old.

Topcat, wants to see the current situation first become a success then review the situation.

Chicofan accepts its a police decision.

Guy Incognito accepts it's a police decision.

Steven H accepts it's police decision, although it doesn't apply to him as his weans are around 7yo.

Folk have debated that these people have asked a simple question and that it should be considered.... It was considered in the summer, when around 4 months of work was put into working with the police, planning the move and implimenting it. It was considered and deemed unsuitable.

Why is it unsuitable? because the current set up that the 5 folk crave to be a part of would have to be completely rebuilt to accomadate this.

Why? well, stewarding and policing would have to be increased. therefore raising costs. Stewards would be given control of the stewarding of the stand instead of the successful self policing set up that has allowed the atmosphere to grow.

Hopeless Unbeliever suggested a fair compromise would be for them to pay into the north stand. as stated above this can't happen.... therefore a fair compromise was putting the Thistle Ultra's group right beside the away fans, they have an area that puts them closer to the away fans, that the singing section.

Lets look at the facts...

The singing section has taken 4 months of planning, meetings and hard work to get up and running.

It has only been in operation for 4 games.

The priority was to create an area that was not just a move from one stand to another. it was a move that would bring back the atmosphere of the old shed that allowed home and away fans to share rivalry, as well as allowing the home fans to directly support the team... how do we allow this direct rivalry... well you are honest with the police and make them aware of the situation.

You make them aware that however, a change of mentality in stewarding is required, and the easiest way to do this would be self policing, therefore not creating a them and us attitude previously seen in the JHS. it's discussed at length and agreed if this is to go ahead as the club want it. then a compromise will have to be met.

That compromise due to the nature of the singing that will take place and the self policing aspect is that under 16's will not be allowed.

So that the u16's don't feel excluded, OneThistle decide that they too will have a dedicated section... it will be opposite the North stand and right beside the away fans! Christ they are close enough they could shake hands!

This allows the police to monitor everything a lot easier having two separate groups, it means they can see the young lads who are coming of age, those who will make the step up in the next year or so, they can interact with them in the JHS so that when they move, a "relationship" is in place...

can we please just let this go.

People accept its the police decision.

people ask for it to be considered.... it was considered a couple of months ago and deemed unable to work.

People ask for compromise... the compromise is that kids "coming of age" get a dedicated area right beside the away fans, to create their own atmosphere, close enough to interact with the north stand.

lets not make this out to be some sulky adults missing out on the great fun of the north stand, i'm sure it' nothing to do with that...

lets focus on building an atmosphere with these 12-16 year olds that are eager to get involved... lets get them involved, in the JHS, singing with the north stand, penning the away fans in on both sides.

and topcat? don't worry, if you think your boy wont come back, even though we are playing the best football in a generations, that he is getting to watch for free, all because he has to wait a season to move stands, then maybe it's just not his thing?

Good post Potty, well put. Hopefully an end to this nonsense and moaning (from both sides of the argument) on why under 16s can't get into the north stand.

lets focus on building an atmosphere with these 12-16 year olds that are eager to get involved... lets get them involved, in the JHS, singing with the north stand, penning the away fans in on both sides.

Perhaps a good idea to help create and build the atmosphere amongst the 12-16 (ultras) group on matchdays and getting them involved and singing in the JHS adding to the singing coming from the North Stand, would be to ensure there are a few 'cheerleaders' in amongst them during home games ..... whether its some of the onethistle people (e.g. sandy, pt, ianmac) or other recognisable and vocal members of the singers (e.g. uberteeb, lmj, potm) ?

That way they could lead and encourage the aspiring North Standers Ultras (and also under 12 Kids) in the JHS into singing more, with, or bouncing off, the singing coming from the North Stand itself, and therefore further improving the atmosphere and volume and number of vocal backing of the team.

The onethistle/singing 'cheerleaders' (they could do it on a rota basis, say 1 game in JHS, 2 games in NS) could also link up with the kids/ultras parents, where there is a pool of specific people like topcat, stevenh, les, chicofan, guyincognito who are also tasked with being part of the core who help teach and encourage the under 16s the songs and words, and how to back the team, through their elder years and experience of following the jags.

if the kids and ultras sections become more vibrant, vocally loud and involved, that too could encourage the other JHS sections to up their singing and backing, improving the atmosphere of home games even further.

Edited by yoda-jag

Good post Potty, well put. Hopefully an end to this nonsense and moaning (from both sides of the argument) on why under 16s can't get into the north stand.

Perhaps a good idea to help create and build the atmosphere amongst the 12-16 (ultras) group on matchdays and getting them involved and singing in the JHS adding to the singing coming from the North Stand, would be to ensure there are a few 'cheerleaders' in amongst them during home games ..... whether its some of the onethistle people (e.g. sandy, pt, ianmac) or other recognisable and vocal members of the singers (e.g. uberteeb, lmj, potm) ?

That way they could lead and encourage the aspiring North Standers Ultras (and also under 12 Kids) in the JHS into singing more, with, or bouncing off, the singing coming from the North Stand itself, and therefore further improving the atmosphere and volume and number of vocal backing of the team.

The onethistle/singing 'cheerleaders' (they could do it on a rota basis, say 1 game in JHS, 2 games in NS) could also link up with the kids/ultras parents, where there is a pool of specific people like topcat, stevenh, les, chicofan, guyincognito who are also tasked with being part of the core who help teach and encourage the under 16s the songs and words, and how to back the team, through their elder years and experience of following the jags.

if the kids and ultras sections become more vibrant, vocally loud and involved, that too could encourage the other JHS sections to up their singing and backing, improving the atmosphere of home games even further.

Is yoda-jag volunteering himself too, or just other people? :P

I find some of the replies on this thead extremely depressing, I must say.

I started going to Thistle games without parental accompaniment, with norgethistle of these parts, in 1988.

We started off standing down the front below the pie shed and gradually made our way towards the fence where it was all hapening, well before we were 16.

It was a rite of passage we were proud of and it should be no different today.

Ahh they were the days Main stand with yer da as a kid, then the enclosure, then behind the goals and slowly move your way to the fence when you became a certain age, don't see what we're doing now as any different