Just In From Cove

potty trained

I work at the same company as Mike Tumilty and his weight is the reason he's no longer an SPL ref.

If this is true, & don't doubt it is, then it beggars belief why they think the guy can ref in the lower leagues.

Aside from being told continually that there's not a lot of difference between the top of the 1st & bottom of SPL, the lower down the leagues the quicker the game is, usually due to fact ball is blootered from one end to other!

SFA = inept.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, & don't doubt it is, then it beggars belief why they think the guy can ref in the lower leagues.

Aside from being told continually that there's not a lot of difference between the top of the 1st & bottom of SPL, the lower down the leagues the quicker the game is, usually due to fact ball is blootered from one end to other!

SFA = inept.

All the refs have regular fitness tests. He passed the latest one a couple of weeks ago.

Christie Elliot can be fast when he comes on but really needs to improve on his goal scoring form. Given that Liam Buchanan can be signed just now on an amateur contract until January I think he perhaps would be a better player to come off the bench and additionally perhaps offer some competition to Craig and Elliot or in case any of them get injured. Although capable of missing chances Buchanan is capable of scoring as well and given that he knows half the players and the Manager would do no harm to see what he can do till January

Tres intéressant ! I can't see any negatives from having him on our books for a couple of months.

Buchanan by the time he left wasn't good enough. His recent record in the Irish league suggests not much has changed.

I'd rather have McGuigan back for the bench than either Buchanan or Elliot.

We dont havve McGuigan back at the earliest until December 5th, theres a month of football before then. Plus Craig could be suspended for a vital 3 games during this period.

Furthermore when he left us he went to the Pars and scored a few vital goals for them on their way to the SPL, he is capable of scoring in this divison.

We dont havve McGuigan back at the earliest until December 5th, theres a month of football before then. Plus Craig could be suspended for a vital 3 games during this period.

Furthermore when he left us he went to the Pars and scored a few vital goals for them on their way to the SPL, he is capable of scoring in this divison.

I didn't say we did have McGuigan back, simply that I'd prefer him coming off the bench than either of the other 2. Where's the confirmation that Craig is suspended for 3 games? It's usually 2 for violent conduct so it's hardly the end of the world.

To say Buchanan scored a few vital goals for Dunfermline that season is a bit much. He scored 1 goal which turned out to be a match winner and adding a 3rd v Cowdenbeath or Stirling or a consolation when losing to Morton is hardly a major success. That's without mentioning his absolute failure to score regularly in the Irish league, being outscored by none other than the prolific Tommy Stewart in the season which just finished.

I didn't say we did have McGuigan back, simply that I'd prefer him coming off the bench than either of the other 2. Where's the confirmation that Craig is suspended for 3 games? It's usually 2 for violent conduct so it's hardly the end of the world.

To say Buchanan scored a few vital goals for Dunfermline that season is a bit much. He scored 1 goal which turned out to be a match winner and adding a 3rd v Cowdenbeath or Stirling or a consolation when losing to Morton is hardly a major success. That's without mentioning his absolute failure to score regularly in the Irish league, being outscored by none other than the prolific Tommy Stewart in the season which just finished.

Pie, Are you actually against signing Buchanan on amateur status? I doubt very much whether he'd walk into the team at the moment, but what's to lose? (Like you, I'm hoping that McGuigan will come good.)

But in fact this is all speculation; there's nothing to suggest that JM has any interest in Liam.

Pie, Are you actually against signing Buchanan on amateur status? I doubt very much whether he'd walk into the team at the moment, but what's to lose? (Like you, I'm hoping that McGuigan will come good.)

But in fact this is all speculation; there's nothing to suggest that JM has any interest in Liam.

Yes I am, I don't really think it does the likes of McGuigan and Elliot any good if McNamara is signing yet another striker in front of them when I don't think that striker would add much in the first place.

I think any money could be used better elsewhere, for all he'd be on amateur terms I imagine Buchanan's expenses won't be cheap.

Yes I am, I don't really think it does the likes of McGuigan and Elliot any good if McNamara is signing yet another striker in front of them when I don't think that striker would add much in the first place.

I think any money could be used better elsewhere, for all he'd be on amateur terms I imagine Buchanan's expenses won't be cheap.

Point taken. Some similarities to when a loan player comes in at the expense of one of our own players who's trying to get established.

I wouldn't necessarily be against Buchanan returning but I don't see much reason behind it unless we are going to adopt 4-4-2 on a more frequent basis which I don't think would be a good idea. Doolan is first choice when fit followed by Craig; the fact that the latter isn't going to be available is a blow but it's not disastrous to the extent that we need to bring in another player, in my opinion.

Would tend to agree with POTM that any money could be used better elsewhere.

I would not want Buchanan back. Our current forward players are pretty clinical, Buchanan can be quite wasteful. Most of our forward players can play in midfield or attack (except maybe Craig), Buchanan can not. He'd perhaps be worth considering in January if we can't get Craig back in or any similar player in as replacement.

I would not want Buchanan back. Our current forward players are pretty clinical, Buchanan can be quite wasteful. Most of our forward players can play in midfield or attack (except maybe Craig), Buchanan can not. He'd perhaps be worth considering in January if we can't get Craig back in or any similar player in as replacement.

Some good points but the jury is still out for me to an extent on Elliot and possibly McGuigan

McGuigan will be back and should be challenging for a first-team place in January. He's got a 2 year deal and the manager says that he's part of his plans. Craigen is in a similar position.

Craig's loan deal was largely funded by a generous fan's donation. It's not certain that the club could afford to extend it without another donation.

Another issue is whether the club will wish to give Forbes another deal. He's probably on a relatively small wage and could seek better terms after the New Year.

I'd take Buchannan back. If we are serious about the title, I'd rather see him coming off the bench than Elliot on current form. Given we could be without Craig for a few weeks, it could work out for both parties. Also, he knows Doolan's game and can play on the right side of a front 3

Think he's available permanantly as according to his twitter, he's not been offered another contract at Sligo.

I wouldn't necessarily be against Buchanan returning but I don't see much reason behind it unless we are going to adopt 4-4-2 on a more frequent basis which I don't think would be a good idea. Doolan is first choice when fit followed by Craig; the fact that the latter isn't going to be available is a blow but it's not disastrous to the extent that we need to bring in another player, in my opinion.

Would tend to agree with POTM that any money could be used better elsewhere.

I like the 433- it suits our players and helps our fluent style; however, we are now up against teams who know how to play against us. When a team stands off and sits in its own half it means that Erskine and Lawless- in a 433- can't find space and are not as effective. In a 442 Erskine and Lawless would be a little deeper and wider- this would help to draw out the opposition and stretch the packed defence, hopefully leaving gaps to exploit. I wouldn't be suprised if we started using it in certain games.

Would Buchanan want to come back? He's what, 26, now which would make him the oldest striker we'd have (except Craig). Also he turned down a contract with the Pars to sign for Sligo, so whether First Division football is part of his carefully-planned career path is anyone's guess....

Indeed. He might not sniff at an opportunity.