Ramsden's Cup Final - Use Of Firhill For Fans?

e4b

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but keeping in mind the poor bar/facilities near to Livingston's stadium, is there not an opening for the club to provide hospitality/supporter facilities for Thistle fans at Firhill on cup final day, say between midday and 2.45pm, with buses to make the fairly short 45/50 minute journey to the ground? There are a variety of possibilities, with the Alan Rough Lounge & Aitken Suite available, + other areas at Firhill to be used as a "Fan-zone", with all supporters buses encouraged as a "one-off" for this game to leave from Firhill.

At the very least there is a possible bonus source of income here for the club.

I have emailed Ian Maxwell. Thoughts?

The Aitken Suite is arguably worse than drinking in Livingston. The only people it would really suit are those who live in the local area like me and even then I'd rather drink in town and get the train or go to the pub and get the supporters bus from elsewhere than go to the Aitken Suite.

I don't see the supporters buses being too keen on changing to leaving from Firhill either and making their regulars trek up to Firhill rather than leave from the usual pickup points. This is one of the few opportunities for them to make genuine money to keep the buses on the road in the future, leave them to it.

I'd imagine that most supporters buses get a contribution from the pub they leave from, at the start of the season. To ensure said bus leaves from their pub... A sort of... We'll give you £XXX if you bring us income from every away game, via your bus.

With that in mind, supporters buses would be off their heads to suggest leaving from firhill.

Remove the transport aspect and firhill becomes a terribly isolated place to start Cup Final day.

The only way it would be worthwhile pre match would be if the club put buses on themselves. Cost of buses v income from the bar?

If we win, it will be open post match.

Edited by potty trained

I really like the hospitality idea. Plenty of bigger English clubs run away hospitality in the city of their opponents for select matches (i.e. Stoke would organise a meal at a Manchester restaurant for games against United or City) before running them over to the ground by bus.

Supporters buses might not want to run from Firhill for reasons mentioned, but the club would be smart to arrange some buses too. Our normal away crowds are less than 1,000. I imagine we'll have closer to 4,000 heading through for this, so may need 4x more supporters buses as a result and current buses might not have the ability to cater for that. If the club do run their own buses, they would be wise to open the Aitken Suite too, depending on numbers.

I think it's a good idea and well done on emailing Ian Maxwell directly and posting on this board. The club could have a ticket combo of hospitality and transport to and from the club. Easier for fans to travel and gets money for the club. You could get different levels of hospitality in Aitken Suite and Alan Rough Lounge.

If the club put on pre-match hospitality (a simple punters' buffet) and buses from Firhill, and got even a half-dozen busloads through this, they'd make a few hundred quid at least. I don't think it would seriously eat into the established supporters' buses membership.

Definitely a good idea by the original poster, at least for exploring.

If the club put on pre-match hospitality (a simple punters' buffet) and buses from Firhill, and got even a half-dozen busloads through this, they'd make a few hundred quid at least. I don't think it would seriously eat into the established supporters' buses membership.

Definitely a good idea by the original poster, at least for exploring.

I don't think so either. In fact, they could target nomadic fans who will be making the pilgrimage, giving them the opportunity to spend some time in Firhill as well as attending the final. Some of the further afield Nomads will not have been to Firhill in years and would jump at the chance. I was there on Saturday and would consider such an offer provided I have a job in April.

I don't think so either. In fact, they could target nomadic fans who will be making the pilgrimage, giving them the opportunity to spend some time in Firhill as well as attending the final. Some of the further afield Nomads will not have been to Firhill in years and would jump at the chance. I was there on Saturday and would consider such an offer provided I have a job in April.

Is this game really going to attract people who haven't been to Firhill in years? I mean, I know it's a Cup Final, but I don't see large numbers of fans flying in from all points of the globe. I speak as a (fairly) far-flung fan who wouldn't seriously consider flying home for a Ramsdens Cup final. A Scottish Cup final, certainly.

As for the hospitality, I think it's a pretty good idea. Many people won't want to drive as they will want a pre/post match beverage, and Livingston isn't the best place for this on public transport given the lack of pubs in the area. It wouldn't be too great an option if the game was in Edinburgh or a more attractive destination (even Ayr, Kilmarnock, Motherwell), but the choice of Livingston might make it a better option for people.