Greaves

little_miss_jag

I know Greave have been struggling financially. I just hope this is not a move by them to ditch us for someone like Sevco

I know mail order/online stuff is a big part of that industry's business but sevco's predecessor was used to having high street outlets throughout Scotland so Greaves probably fall short on distribution.

I've been expecting this for a while. Ever since the rugger lads moved on from Firhill. Outsourcing definitely has its benefits and I'm fairly certain the Greaves-Jags partnership was mutually rewarding. Maybe we'll be able to turn this to benefit? Would likely require someone else to either join the Board or one of the existing members to seize the opportunity.

Granted selling football tops and merchandise isn't our core business but neither should it be completely divorced from our activities. Some sort of hybrid scheme where we can both benefit from a limited direct sales but still retain a wholesaling/mail order outlet might be the way to go.

Outsourcing definitely has its benefits and I'm fairly certain the Greaves-Jags partnership was mutually rewarding. Maybe we'll be able to turn this to benefit? Would likely require someone else to either join the Board or one of the existing members to seize the opportunity.

Granted selling football tops and merchandise isn't our core business but neither should it be completely divorced from our activities. Some sort of hybrid scheme where we can both benefit from a limited direct sales but still retain a wholesaling/mail order outlet might be the way to go.

Judging by the huge stock of old kit that Greaves must have in its warehouses, I doubt that the firm made much money (if any) from the Jags deal.

Much of the leisure gear was naff too, e.g. the pink chevron polo - http://www.greavessp...rt.polo-p40060. With better designs and colour schemes, the club could sell a lot more merchandise.

There was certainly some very dodgy stuff in amongst some earlier gems, but that pink polo is one of the most hideous items of "Thistle" clothing I've ever had the misfortune to see.

Do you think there will be a big sale of left over stuff?

The Glaswegian article mentions a sale and if you go to the Greaves site link, you will see most items have been halved and some even more.

Apart from the home, last season's away strip and the centenary strips, most of the strips was okay or poor.

Greaves is stuck with a lot of old stock, e.g. old home strips, the awful pink camo strip and training gear. The 2009/10 "Airdrie" training gear is available nearly all sizes - as is the later 2010-11 range. Our colours are red and yellow - not red, white and black nor back and white.

Much of the leisure gear was naff too, e.g. the pink chevron polo - http://www.greavessp...rt.polo-p40060. With better designs and colour schemes, the club could sell a lot more merchandise.

Agree that apart from the tops kni mentions, the rest were ok->poor, yes the pink camo and hoops brought us column inches and media exposure we hadn't had previosuly, but they and other training gear colours and leasure wear offerings were for the most, total shite and completely un-Thistle.

Agree with some views here that favour seeking a deal with either a sports chain for stocking strips (and maybe a few select tshirts and other leasure wear items) in Glasgow shops at least (and further afield if possible), or a select independant sports shop in Maryhill, while taking back the sourcing and selling of the majority of the casual and leasure wear and accessories, and hopefully seeing a return to the traditional club colours and decent designs the fans are consulted on, to maximise the clubs income from all things merchandise.

Give exclusivity to the wee sports shop on Maryhill road, opposite Munns. Perhaps they would gain a bigger benefit to income than a company competeing for business in the city.

I got my first Thistle shirt from them in 1994, but I would be utterly gobsmacked if they had any Jags stock there in the past ten years, even before the Greaves deal. Great place to go if you want the new Celtic, Sevco or Barca top though! They'll stock what sells I guess.

On a related note, you know what the first shop you see after exiting the bus station here in Dundee? A Celtic shop. A dire state of affairs.

It's a pity as, for the first couple of years, the strips and stock was excellent. However, given that we have had to wait until Nov to get home strips, and the fact that the merchandise side of things has been in decline for a few years now, it was inevitabe.

We have had some beltinig strips out of the deal though. I really hope we get something of similar standard to replace it.

It's a pity as, for the first couple of years, the strips and stock was excellent. However, given that we have had to wait until Nov to get home strips, and the fact that the merchandise side of things has been in decline for a few years now, it was inevitabe.

We have had some beltinig strips out of the deal though. I really hope we get something of similar standard to replace it.

That was down to sponsorship issues with MacB, nothing to do with Puma or Greaves. Puma can't shut down their lines that will be fairly continuous for the sake of a few shirts, they need to plan it months in advance to fit an order, even a small order in.

Our colours are red and yellow - not red, white and black nor back and white.

The red, yellow and black Slazenger polos from Sports Direct were more 'Thistle' than most of the Thistle gear.

• Like 1

I think we have short memories, the quality and range of stuff from Greaves was better than anything we had before and being able to buy it in the city centre was fantastic.

Anyway I have taken advantage of their clearance sale and ordered A teddy bear, a beer glass, a centenary mug, a black scarf, a bottle opener and three pin badges.

The red/white/black leisure wear is okay but I don't really wear that stuff. But if I did I would buy it up

I think we have short memories, the quality and range of stuff from Greaves was better than anything we had before and being able to buy it in the city centre was fantastic.

Couldnt disagree more. The 'quality' of the strips is an utter disgrace. The material is cheapest of the cheap and very flimsy. If the strip was, say, £25 then i could understand but when you are paying £45 for something that is as poor quality as what we have then it doesnt make sense. Im hoping we ditch Puma with the end of the Greaves deal. Anyone remember the Secca strip? I still have mine from the Div 2 winning season and it puts the Puma stuff from the past two seasons to shame.

BRING BACK SECCA!

Interesting story in The Glaswegian - http://www.theglaswe...02692-23938634/

"Glasgow’s oldest sports retailer has told the Jags they will not be extending their four-year deal with the Firhill side at the end of the current contract.

"Greaves have announced their decision to allow Thistle time to find an alternative for next season.

"The arrangement had been more emotional rather than commercial with managing director Sandy Greaves citing his family’s historic fondness of the club as the motivation behind backing Partick.

"The Greaves deal has seen the club receive a guaranteed annual royalty payment which would rival any SPL club’s retail arrangement outside the Old Firm – but that will now cease."

Edited by kni

Couldnt disagree more. The 'quality' of the strips is an utter disgrace. The material is cheapest of the cheap and very flimsy. If the strip was, say, £25 then i could understand but when you are paying £45 for something that is as poor quality as what we have then it doesnt make sense. Im hoping we ditch Puma with the end of the Greaves deal. Anyone remember the Secca strip? I still have mine from the Div 2 winning season and it puts the Puma stuff from the past two seasons to shame.

BRING BACK SECCA!

I think the quality of the first batch of strips was good, especially the first puma home top. The one after that, the paintbrush effort of 10/11, I thought was poor and didn't buy it for that reason. I did buy both strips last season though as I thought they were excellent.

I think, overall, Greaves has been a great thing for PTFC. A lot more national exposure, I also think it's one of the reason's we've had so many unique kits over the last few years, rather than just template jobs.

From the newspaper article, it sounds like Greaves knew this would be a one deal only thing, and that's why stock has been so poor in the last couple of years. Hopefully we get someone else in, but i doubt we'll do better than Greaves.

I think, overall, Greaves has been a great thing for PTFC. A lot more national exposure, I also think it's one of the reason's we've had so many unique kits over the last few years, rather than just template jobs.

From the newspaper article, it sounds like Greaves knew this would be a one deal only thing, and that's why stock has been so poor in the last couple of years. Hopefully we get someone else in, but i doubt we'll do better than Greaves.

It will be interesting to see how low the prices will go as Greaves will de desperate to get rid of the huge stock of old kits and training gear. I was a bit surprised to see the accessories' prices halved too.

• 4 months later...

Was in the Sauchiehall St shop today. There's really not a lot of gear left, mostly just some of the Airdrie tribute tops, a few hoodies, and children's t-shirts. But I did pick up a decent broad R&Y bar with thin black bar scarf that I hadn't seen before.

What is left is going pretty cheap, mostly £5-£10 per item of clothing. The guy working there told me that all the Thistle stuff had been selling fast this past week or two.

So, if you're looking to pick up some final bargains, now is probably the time.

PS: Bit of a shame that the Greaves deal is ending, as I've been in there more times in the last 3 years than in my entire lifetime before then. Hard to see when or why I'd set foot in there again.

But also a bit of a shame that the quality of the merchandise took a serious dip half-way through the deal.

Edited by Jaggernaut

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Greaves has any regrets over ending their arrangement with PTFC now, given the much bigger stage and coverage that we'll be getting.

My thoughts exactly......unless the club have something else lined up maybe a time to ask if they want to reverse their decision

My thoughts exactly......unless the club have something else lined up maybe a time to ask if they want to reverse their decision

The club do have something else lined up though, with joma. Greaves have had their shot. The strips were ok but the leisure wear was dreadful, would have been more suitable for Airdrie than PTFC.