League Reconstruction

Dug1e

I wouldn't actually mind that, small league but the novelty factor would keep it going for a couple of seasons until we think of something better. I've liked that system for a few years now but there must be a reason why the Swiss/Austrians/whoever used it abandoned it.

The SPL's proposals, if confirmed, would perpetuate and exaggerate the fragmented structure that has failed in recent years. The mid-season break-up into 3 leagues of 8 is messy and a non-starter. There is no point in reconstruction if another set-up has to be introduced within a few years.

3 leagues of 14 or 15 clubs playing each other 3 times (39 or 42 games) a season is best solution. 15 clubs per league could be the price/incentive for the SFL clubs to accept a pyramid system.

The SPL's proposals, if confirmed, would perpetuate and exaggerate the fragmented structure that has failed in recent years. The mid-season break-up into 3 leagues of 8 is messy and a non-starter. There is no point in reconstruction if another set-up has to be introduced within a few years.

3 leagues of 14 or 15 clubs playing each other 3 times (39 or 42 games) a season is best solution. 15 clubs per league could be the price/incentive for the SFL clubs to accept a pyramid system.

Playing each team three times in a 14 team league or having an odd number of teams, either from the start in a 15 team league or following a split in a 14 team league is messier than having autumn/spring leagues.

Playing each team three times in a 14 team league or having an odd number of teams, either from the start in a 15 team league or following a split in a 14 team league is messier than having autumn/spring leagues.

IIRC we have played teams 3 times a season (in a league of 14) in the past.

IIRC we have played teams 3 times a season (in a league of 14) in the past.

I know, but that doesn't make it a good or a bad idea. It's just my opinion of course but I think that playing an odd number of games against each team is a pretty dreadful league system. And in a 15 team league you have teams sitting dormant each week - you could have a final day title decider with one competitor not even playing. I don't get how the leagues of 12 with 8-4 splits are messy in comparison with either of those.

Why complicate matters with splits? Just go for 16-16-10. If there are 6 clubs that want to join the league, such as Spartans, Cove etc then increase the size of the 3rd tier.

Introduce a group stage at the start of the League Cup to replace the lost league fixtures. Seed the groups so lower division sides are guaranteed a couple of fixtures against top tier opposition.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how it would work, but would the top four from the 2nd and the bottom four from the 1st then fight it out to see who would end up in the 1st the following season? In other words, it would be like an extended play-off competition? Given the likely disparity in wealth distribution between the two divisions, we'd have to expect seasons with no promotion to the top flight whatsoever.

Got to disagree with that. You really ALL of the top 4 in the First would finish below ALL the bottom 4 in the premier?

No chance.

Got to disagree with that. You really ALL of the top 4 in the First would finish below ALL the bottom 4 in the premier?

No chance.

Agreed, that's unlikely. But I could well imagine the SPL coming out with something truly bizarre, e.g. only the two teams ending at the top being automatically (re)promoted, with the other two places going to a vote!

All the best leagues in the world are run on a nice simple have a big league of teams playing each other twice a season. I don't know what makes the morons running the Scottish game think that d*cking around with madcap ideas is the way forward instead of reverting to a tried and tested formula.

I agree and have always supported a return to 2 leagues but there is no way that the "big" SFL clubs would agree to it. They want/need their 4 games a season against the OF. We have to be realistic and recognise that a return 3 leagues is the most likely option/compromise.

SFL approves reconstruction plan (minus OF colts) unanimously - http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20329684

The SFL were always likely to agree, it's the SFA/SPL they need to convince.

Thinking about it, would 16, 16, 10 not make more sense? Larger leagues at the top end with no change at the bottom end for those teams who seem to have been happy with the status quo for a number of years. As the top two leagues have both promotion and relegation a large league is more viable, in a league where no teams are relegated a 16 team league seems unnecessary when the league above is smaller.

Sounds ideal ! A competitive top flight with enough teams to allow the better clubs such as Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen to introduce youngsters. A competitive part-time lower division without the same bore of seeing the same teams all the time. And a middle "buffer" division that should have clubs that carry semi-reasonable supports and small enough that money should be well distributed between the teams.

If this goes through I think life as a jags fan would be interesting - prepare for the yo-yo club of scottish football.

edit to add:

Hopefully now Rangers are in the sfl it will give some weight to the proposals and push them through. It appears very unlikely with SPL stating their own plans but never know.

Edited by read'n'yell

^^ Both the SFL and SPL are proposing a top flight of 16 clubs. The main restructuring issue is the size of the 2nd and 3rd tiers. However, there other issues relating to control, governance and finance that would have to be resolved.

Can we not jus make them all 16 team leagues and invite teams to apply for 6 extra places. If it's not happening until 2015/16 then there's plenty of time to go through an application process and plenty of highland/junior teams are well supported enough and have shown a willingness in the past to become part of the senior set-up (Spartans, Cove, Gala etc.).

From a Thistle point of view I don't see how any of this is a bad thing.

Either the club will be in the top league of 16 with only 1 game home and away against each team and the new league cup sections attempting to make up the shortfall of home league fixtures or alternatively in the same division we're in now with the same number of games but with an increased chance of promotion.

Assuming potential for 2 up, 2 down in the 10 team division, how could any team in that division budget when there could be a 40% turnover of teams each year? As well, it doesn't resolve the key issue of playing each other too many times. I despair!

+1

Assuming potential for 2 up, 2 down in the 10 team division, how could any team in that division budget when there could be a 40% turnover of teams each year? As well, it doesn't resolve the key issue of playing each other too many times. I despair!

The proposal suggests a playoff place for promotion and relegation as well. So potentally a 60% turnover.

The playoff teams would have an extra home game as well.

Think I'll let this settle as I have very mixed thoughts. I'll need to take out irrational thoughts i.e. Old firm carve up and see if it will benefit Scottish football as a whole. Also playoff in and out of bottom tier.

I must admit I see more good than bad in it at the moment.

What I find strange is it doesnt catapult Sevco up the league any quicker, if all goes to there plan it will still take 3 years

__________Old_________________New Set up

2012-13 .....SFL3................................SFL3

2013-14......SFL2................................SFL2

2014-15......SFL1................................SFL1 (Maximum Place 20th in Scotland to start with top 16 in new League)

2015-16......SPL..................................New SPL

Edited by Norgethistle

From a Thistle point of view I don't see how any of this is a bad thing.

Either the club will be in the top league of 16 with only 1 game home and away against each team and the new league cup sections attempting to make up the shortfall of home league fixtures or alternatively in the same division we're in now with the same number of games but with an increased chance of promotion.

Agreed. Also the extra exposure while in the top flight could see us actually getting money for some players.

Sorry - I remain unconvinced! There is a UEFA requirement for 34 league games per season. The simplest way of achieving that is with two divisions of 18, playing once each home and away. Problem is - that only accommodates 36 teams, whereas we have 42 to consider. So, go back one step and have three divisions of 14 teams - home and away once each gives 26 games, with 8 more league games required. Any offers of the preferred solution to this sum?