Just In V Livi

Camallain

Very good point. I'm as "get up the field" as the next man, but finally I've come around to thinking "Why not? Wear them down/bamboozle them.", then I can have a wee look at my Tolstoy novel until something interesting happens.

The fact that we've knocked the ball about all season and even when we spend long period not really doing much with it, we're still beating teams and that will have a lot to do with the silencing of the moaners.

Even when we're not spectacular, we're grinding out results (Cove and Cowdenbeath being prime examples). That's the making of a good team.

Have to say I think that Livi are the best team we've had at Fiirhill this season so far.

Great to see Smith have a good game and a clean sheet. It was vital that he got this after last week. Some good saves and kicking was fine.

I was slightly disappointed with Muirhead and O'Donnell, but that's only because of the high standards they have set so far this season.

Balatoni was absolutely immense all game, my man of the match.

Sinclair looks like he's getting back to the form he showed last season.

Bannigan was outstanding as well, and what a goal. Jackie now has a real dilemma about where to play him, and with Sinclair coming on to a game I would say Bannigan stays in midfield.

Erskine was unplayable at times, I doubt he will be at Firhill for much longer so I'm just enjoying getting the chance to watch this guy play every week.

This was my first game of the season so I may have missed something, but I think that was the most patient Thistle support I have witnessed. The first half hour was pretty slow, and I heard no complaining. It was a little disconcerting. Magical second goal and Erskine's a joy to watch.

I felt the fans were getting a bit restless at the start of the second half, but i put that down to usually winning at half time.

I felt the fans were getting a bit restless at the start of the second half, but i put that down to usually winning at half time.
There were still some grumblings around me but it's a cultural thing. I see it when I play 5-a-sides! Keep possession and the opposition are not a threat. No point losing the ball and them getting a break. We tire them down when they are running after the ball which is doing all the work. Jackie has a great philosophy on the game and long may it continue and be encouraged. Look at his faith in Muirhead and Balatoni over Archie. Archie is a great servant and will put his baody on the line but he suffers from bad coaching and the first though of hoofing it up the park. Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

That would be because of the way we kept giving the ball away in the first few minutes of the second half. We'd played well in spells in the first but had been poorish at other times so the fans were probably expecting a good start after a few half time words, instead the team played like they'd just met for the first time. Fortunately Livvy didn't take advantage and we got to grips with the game again and went on to win.

Some of the elder fan base clearly find it difficult to come to terms with our current playing style. Two jookers behind me:

First Livi attack - "oh here's a goal coming"

Jags interpassing along the back line - "get it up the park" Hey if Livi don't have the ball they can't score.

Long Jags pass forward as soon as it leaves the boot - "what a terrible ball" then changed to "great pass"when it finds the right man.

The followed by a " Do you remember Sammy Rutherford, Benny Rooney etc.

Bit my tongue on several occasions but hopefully they are becoming the minority. Endorse everyone'e positive comments about the team and players. I now only check the time every two minutes after 4.30 and when I'm watching Barcelona I'm thinking they play like Thistle.

Some of the elder fan base clearly find it difficult to come to terms with our current playing style. Two jookers behind me:

Jags interpassing along the back line - "get it up the park" Hey if Livi don't have the ball they can't score.

Long Jags pass forward as soon as it leaves the boot - "what a terrible ball" then changed to "great pass"when it finds the right man.

Bit my tongue on several occasions but hopefully they are becoming the minority. Endorse everyone'e positive comments about the team and players. I now only check the time every two minutes after 4.30 and when I'm watching Barcelona I'm thinking they play like Thistle.

Agree with all the above - it's quite funny now when you get stuck in front of the 'get it launched up the f**kin park Thistle' merchants. Still everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's patently wrong. If we get the league won by early April, McNamara could get the team to do cover versions of old Thistle teams to please these people...

Wish it was just the older brigade. At one point on Saturday O'Donnell played the ball forward to Bannigan on the half way line. Bannigan was facing the Jags goal and being closed down by 2 Livi players so passed the ball back to Muirhead, at which point the 30 something guy sitting a couple of seats away from me said "what's the use in that Bannigan"!! We were 2 up at the time! Unbelievable.

Lots of comments about how good Livi were, and I agree, but the way they played is not the way we have beaten or been put under pressure this season.

Goals lost against Pars, Morton and Accies were all from dead balls. Dunfermline's main threat was from free kicks and corners and we were a bit lucky that they didn't pick up the scraps from some of them (besides the horrible OG). We faced down an aerial bombardment from Cowdenbeath in the Ramsden's with some really strong defending, but it was a bit hairy at times too.

I'm pretty sure that Dunfermline will do the same as last time and try to pressure the keeper and defence at set pieces rather than be playing around us the way Livi did/tried to.

Majority of the goals we have conceded have been from set pieces or excellent efforts from distance. Can only think of Morton's 3rd as a goal where the opposition have passed around us and scored from inside the box (and even then we were down to 10 men and chasing the draw).

In general, the defence and midfield have just not allowed that to happen. It's been great..... Hoping for a repeat on Saturday, but doubt we'll get 5......

Edited by David Stevenson