1 Point From A Possible Six From The Past 2 Games.

Partick75

Auld yin has singled out a number of players as being off the boil. In the last 6 games only one of those mentioned hasn't scored.

Why are you so defensive of Smith ?

so if you score you have had a good game? I take it you think Erskine had a good game yesterday because he scored. All of the players named have not been in the form they were in at the beginning of the season. Smith has not been responsible for all our points dropped since he has joined us, that is a fact. I don't believe in chastising any thistle player and certainly not 1 who has just arrived into a unfamiliar squad. Hopefully that answers the question on why so defensive of smith.

Sorry Auld yin, my 2nd comment wasn't directed at you. However, regarding the first point,football is about scoring goals and in my opinion if you have a player who scores and does nothing else, then you play that guy. But apart from that, what is it that the players you mention are not doing now that they were earlier in the season

And I have to defend myself now. I don't think that I criticise players either on here or at games and I didn't criticise Smith - my point was that we have done better with Fox. I don't think that it is just coincidence or down to who else was playing. 9 shut outs in 17 or 18 games is pretty impressive and if fit, Fox should be playing.

I was asked how many games I thought Smith was responsible for us losing and I gave my opinion

• Like 1

Sorry Auld yin, my 2nd comment wasn't directed at you. However, regarding the first point,football is about scoring goals and in my opinion if you have a player who scores and does nothing else, then you play that guy. But apart from that, what is it that the players you mention are not doing now that they were earlier in the season

And I have to defend myself now. I don't think that I criticise players either on here or at games and I didn't criticise Smith - my point was that we have done better with Fox. I don't think that it is just coincidence or down to who else was playing. 9 shut outs in 17 or 18 games is pretty impressive and if fit, Fox should be playing.

I was asked how many games I thought Smith was responsible for us losing and I gave my opinion

. No need to apologise mt, I would not drop any of the players mentioned in my previous post, what lawless and Erskine haven't been able to do recently is link up the play either down the wings or in the centre of the park, like they did so affectively earlier on. This could be because of 1 or 2 injuries to welsh in the middle and O'Donnell at right back. With the injury to welsh and the recent sending off this has pushed Bannigan into midfield, but personally I think he is better at wing back. Personally I think fox is the better keeper myself but smith has only joined the club and isn't to blame for all our points dropped.

• Members

Oh dear, the crockery's flying.

It might be my shaky memory but I always seem to the recall the three weeks either side of new year were never very fruitful for Thistle.

Don't you start coming in here with sensible posts McK. Apparently that's not what this thread is about!!! ;)

I love Fox, have done since he joined, think I even have a wee news article of him saying he would love to join us. He is a great keeper and has done well for us. However I find it disrespectful to Smith to say he hasn't done well and is a bombscare. He done us a favour of joining when we needed him. There have been so many changes in our squad that have lead to our little bump in the road that are not all his fault. I do hope we keep him to the end of the season.

Back to the original point of this thread about dropping points, We have dropped 15 points all season so far do you think that is good enough for a team going for the title?

I love Fox, have done since he joined, think I even have a wee news article of him saying he would love to join us. He is a great keeper and has done well for us. However I find it disrespectful to Smith to say he hasn't done well and is a bombscare. He done us a favour of joining when we needed him. There have been so many changes in our squad that have lead to our little bump in the road that are not all his fault. I do hope we keep him to the end of the season.

Back to the original point of this thread about dropping points, We have dropped 15 points all season so far do you think that is good enough for a team going for the title?

I just hope that we are both celebrating at the end of the season LMJ, i remember the 2001 season when we won the 1st div, i had a better feeling with that side that we were going to get promoted, but i hope to hell i am wrong, moan the Jags.

Folk won't like it but.

Hugh Murray has started 9 games for us in the league. 8 of those saw him playing behind/beside Paton. Of those 9 games we have won 7. Loosing only 1. The Morton game he was red carded.

In the 7 games he has not been a part of, we have only won 3. And one of them was against a piss poor airdrie team.

Of the current 33 points, he has been a part of 2 thirds of that.

So, we've had more success with him in the team, than without. And it's practically always with Paton part of the 3.

Does that mean that not having him in the team is heaping too much pressure on Paton to do all the defensive cover? Having Murray behind him allows Paton to be more involved in the attacking side of our game. At the start of the season, Paton was pinging balls out to both wings for our wide players.

Some might say he slows the game down... Others would say that without him in the team, we too easily give up on playing the passing game, and hoof it up the park too often and give the ball to the opposition.

Others have said that morton's midfield/squad has experience. We have a guy warming the bench who has 3 winners medals to his name, 2 1st division trophies and a challenge cup win. As well as years of experience in the SPL.

That's an interesting point that hadn't crossed my mind. Paton has played really well all season but thinking about it was a lot better and was able help us link up the midfield with Lawless and Erskine in particular when he had Murray beside him doing a lot of the dirty work. He also seemed more chilled out with Murray beside him, a full 90 minutes of being pretty much the only ball winner in the middle seems to make him lose the rag a bit.

Ive never been a huge Murray fan, but these are 2 very convincing arguments

Works both ways, we've given him income for afew months that he wouldn't have had. We've also given him exposure at a decent level that could lead to another club signing him when we let him go. I don't think he'll get another full-time club, he's not covered himself in glory during his performances, he has however made some good saves.

Fox is the best goalie at the club & Scully an able deputy, no point wasting money on a 3rd goalie.

• Like 1

That's rather stating the obvious. I don't suppose Dunfermline are too chuffed with one point from a possible twelve either.

As for Smith I rather think he's done not too bad for a guy drafted in from nowhere. .

i used to be a goalkeeper back in the day. It's all about confidence. smith had been gettin slated for his performances for previous clubs but he's been good for us. he's growing in confidence and he's becomin more and more commanding. Scott fox will have to do something special to get that goalie spot back Edited by The Mighty Quinn

Works both ways, we've given him income for afew months that he wouldn't have had. We've also given him exposure at a decent level that could lead to another club signing him when we let him go. I don't think he'll get another full-time club, he's not covered himself in glory during his performances, he has however made some good saves.

Fox is the best goalie at the club & Scully an able deputy, no point wasting money on a 3rd goalie.

Well Jackie clearly doesn't feel Scully is "an able deputy" otherwise why did we sign Smith? Hoping his contract is extended to the end of the season as I think he has done well for us and doesn't deserve the criticism some jags are giving him.

Edited by little_miss_jag

Folk won't like it but.

Hugh Murray has started 9 games for us in the league. 8 of those saw him playing behind/beside Paton. Of those 9 games we have won 7. Loosing only 1. The Morton game he was red carded.

In the 7 games he has not been a part of, we have only won 3. And one of them was against a piss poor airdrie team.

Of the current 33 points, he has been a part of 2 thirds of that.

So, we've had more success with him in the team, than without. And it's practically always with Paton part of the 3.

Does that mean that not having him in the team is heaping too much pressure on Paton to do all the defensive cover? Having Murray behind him allows Paton to be more involved in the attacking side of our game. At the start of the season, Paton was pinging balls out to both wings for our wide players.

Some might say he slows the game down... Others would say that without him in the team, we too easily give up on playing the passing game, and hoof it up the park too often and give the ball to the opposition.

Others have said that morton's midfield/squad has experience. We have a guy warming the bench who has 3 winners medals to his name, 2 1st division trophies and a challenge cup win. As well as years of experience in the SPL.

Pretty strong stats to back this up I must admit. It does seem Paton misses Murray a bit because it puts a lot more pressure on to him. And when we had those two together, it allowed everyone else to bomb on, knowing that the back door was locked.

I'd imagine Welsh's stats for starts to win ratio is probably almost as high as Murray. Hopefully with him back fit, things will get back to how they were.