Was Jackie The Cheap Option For Thompson?

skipper

From the news reports, the reason that there was a delay in the news conference was that the details of how compensation would be paid were still being discussed. However, reading the Thistle statement it mentions the resignation of the manager "triggered a release clause" in the contract. Does that mean no compensation ?

Is there any compo involved. If not was this what made Jackie attractive to Scumdee Utd?

There was compensation involved.

Dundee United are downsizing their budgets. Even allowing for compensation, the wages JM and SD will be on are far smaller than previous Dundee United managers.

I think what made JM very attractive was 1. His style of play in his teams, 2. His ability to get good players playing well on low wages and 3. His ability to bring through youth players, of which Dun Utd apparently have a fair few breaking through.

Was Jackie The Cheap Option For Thompson?

Yes. United believe Jackie can, work on a cheaper budget and for less of a salary than was offered to their manager at the start of the season and, maintain a team capable of achieving a top 6 finish in the SPL.

If what they have had to pay Thistle in compensation, plus what they have to pay Houston to meet their contractual obligations to him, ammount to more than any other scenario they might have acheived they clearly beleive it is worth it, financially, in the long term.

United are, like most teams in Scotland, relatively skint.

From the news reports, the reason that there was a delay in the news conference was that the details of how compensation would be paid were still being discussed. However, reading the Thistle statement it mentions the resignation of the manager "triggered a release clause" in the contract. Does that mean no compensation ?

I doubt even Allan Cowan would have agreed to a 'release clause' in a contract which allowed a manager to move to another club without compensation for Thistle (although can't be absolutely certain about that).

Edited by Charlie Endell

It may be stating the bleedin' obvious but normal good business practice doesn't apply to football.

There's only a couple of people who know the details of the full package and United may have convinced themselves that spending more now for some kind of unquantifiable result in 3 years time is the way to go.

If it all goes pear shape they may well convince themselves it's a good idea to spend money to get rid for the long term good and so it goes on, overspending and over inflated egos are all part of the game.

They've been paying mediocre players (usually with an exotic foreign sounding name) a fortune for years.

It may be stating the bleedin' obvious but normal good business practice doesn't apply to football.

There's only a couple of people who know the details of the full package and United may have convinced themselves that spending more now for some kind of unquantifiable result in 3 years time is the way to go.

If it all goes pear shape they may well convince themselves it's a good idea to spend money to get rid for the long term good and so it goes on, overspending and over inflated egos are all part of the game.

They've been paying mediocre players (usually with an exotic foreign sounding name) a fortune for years.

Think you're getting close to the nub of it. Houston wanted more money for the team and the club saw they couldn't afford it - and his demand made them suspect he wasn't up to improving the team without more money (last bit my assumption).

So they wanted rid of him and to bring in someone who could do at least as well or better (not too hard when you look at their present position) and was also known to be good at improving young players.

To do the first we have the discussion/argument made public about him being asked to take a wage cut as well as a cut in player budget. The first tells him he's not wanted, the second gives him an excuse to go.

Then they bring in Jackie. Compensation for both sides combined could be c. £200K (paper talk) but they get a cheaper management team for three years and in the summer will probably sell a couple of players so that's more than easily covered. They've had a good youth policy for a while now so he'll have a fair bit to work with - I reckon he'll do OK ...I certainly hope so on Saturday.

Think you're wrong in your last comment. Firstly because I think Jackie will do fine with United and secondly even if he doesn't the restructuring means it will be cheaper to fix things next time.

In fact though I can see things might not go as well as he hopes I can't really see him, with the squad he's got there (and even losing a couple of his best players) doing so badly they'd want to get rid right away. Houston should have done much better with that squad. They brought in a guy with a reputation of bringing on young players, so unless some absolute disaster happens they'll give him time.

My only worry is that in the summer he'll come after Erskine, Paton, Forbes and the like - but then so will other clubs.

Edited by Mr Bunny