Irn Bru Youth Competition

Fawlty Towers

Was looking at the Accies forum to see how they were feeling about Tuesday's game and saw a post about this.

"Irn Bru will soon start their annual recycling competition, with a prize of £10,000 for the top collecting team in each SFL division. It's not quite up and running yet, but if you're a fan of the ginger ginger then please start putting them aside for when the promotion launches.

Accies won the £10k last year and a repeat would be brilliant."

This person may or may not have some inside info but considering the Accies did win last season after getting off to a great start it does sound plausible so if you are a drinker of irn bru you may want to keep your cans for the moment to see if this is what we need to be collecting for this season's competition.

If it turns out to be rubbish then feel free to curse me as you take your cans to the recycling point!

Edited by Fawlty Towers

You'd hope the Club put more effort into trying to win the competition this year, compared to the last few years.

Agreed.

As soon as it is officially launched I will post about it on here and have a word with those responsible at the club. £10,000 is a lot of money and would be well used by our youth coaches.

Small piece in today's Sun confirming that it is cans to be collected for this season's competition so lets get started from today!

If those on twitter & facebook can post about this it would be appreciated.

£10,000 up for grabs and with the club putting much more emphasis on youth development this would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Would be good to win the top prize this year.

Noticed the Under 17's won again this weekend with Jordan Leyden scoring his third hat-trick in as many weeks. Gerry O'Donnell seems to be fairly prolific too so perhaps we've got a future strike-force waiting in the wings. Would be ideal if the boys who are slightly older like Lindsay and Gallacher could go out on loan to gain some experience in the Juniors as the Reserve league seems to have died a death.

This is something One Thistle should be getting right behind and having fully organised in the coming week IMO.

Yep, definitely.

Would help to get a bit of strategy in the placement of bins in local areas. Supermarkets could be a decent option - Tesco in Maryhill, Asda in Summerston, Morrisons in Anniesland. Business places could be beneficial too - Skypark in Finnieston perhaps. Deal with local boozers as well - not many places have Irn Bru on tap so it's often cans. Start selling Irn Bru in the Aitken Suite too.

Edited by Armand2

It should also be noted that the can collection is NOT limited to Irn Bru/Irn Bru sugar free, but includes ALL Barrs cans.

From the Irn-Bru site - 'Drop your cans off at one of the drops and get all your pals to do the same. Every can collected will nudge your club that wee bit nearer to being top of the League. And to show how nice we are, we’ll accept other Barr’s cans too. (We do after all make the best ginger.)

Can we make this clear to everyone, and we'll hopefully be top of two leagues come the season's end.

An idea maybe to get the catering company using cans for the remaining home games, they could pour one or two into a cup rather than using the pourers? Get the Aitken Suite in on the act as well. Can this proposal be forwarded to sporting solutions? Would give them good press as well!

I had irn bru from a can poured into a cup at Central Park last night, would really help if we could do the same at firhill. It would beat the manky draught stuff they sell too!

I bought 18 cans of irn bru tonight instead of a couple of bottles. I'm even contemplating raiding the can recycling boxes in work!!

It should also be noted that the can collection is NOT limited to Irn Bru/Irn Bru sugar free, but includes ALL Barrs cans.

From the Irn-Bru site - 'Drop your cans off at one of the drops and get all your pals to do the same. Every can collected will nudge your club that wee bit nearer to being top of the League. And to show how nice we are, we’ll accept other Barr’s cans too. (We do after all make the best ginger.)

Can we make this clear to everyone, and we'll hopefully be top of two leagues come the season's end.

Just to confirm all Rubicon and Orangina and KA cans are all made by the wonderful AG Barr in addition to Irn Bru and all the Barr Flavours :thumbsup2:

Saturday is the first home game for ourselves since the competition was launced so remember to bring your cans along to deposit in the bins. If, like me, you don't drink a lot of Irn Bru (or other Barrs' products) you can still contribute by getting cans from family members or work colleagues (I will be collecting cans from folk in my team at work).

£10,000 for youth development is up for grabs so lets really go for it this season!

Thanks for your support.

Why doesn't the club email its sponsors to set up collecting points? Quite a fee pubs in the programme. Surely the race is for second place because the currants will win it. Could be their first trophy :P

Edited by jagfox

I'm even contemplating raiding the can recycling boxes in work!!

I just put a sign on ours telling people to put their Barrs cans in the (reallocated) bin beside the recycling (I've stuck a poster on it explaining, incase they just think I'm the anti-gore).

Are the pubs near the stadium getting involved in this? Star and Garter, Munns Strathmore, Woodside Inn, Royalty etc. I see the club have updated the website saying The brass monkey and the den are getting involved.

There are details of some of the other drop off points in the link below.

There will be a full updated list a little later in the week.

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2012-2013/march_2013/irn-bru_cans_for_youth_teams

Are the pubs near the stadium getting involved in this? Star and Garter, Munns Strathmore, Woodside Inn, Royalty etc. I see the club have updated the website saying The brass monkey and the den are getting involved.

Yeah, we (Den & The Brass Monkey) got our 'can bags' (euphemism for bra?) yesterday, so will be putting posters up today. Obviously any cans we use in the bars will be collected as well.

Can't wait to get my £10k! That's the deal isn't it?

• Like 1

Yeah, we (Den & The Brass Monkey) got our 'can bags' (euphemism for bra?) yesterday, so will be putting posters up today. Obviously any cans we use in the bars will be collected as well.

Can't wait to get my £10k! That's the deal isn't it?

Question for GPT: Is your Brass Monkey affiliated to a chain of "Brass Monkey" pubs, or independent? Just curious. :)