Morton On Wednesday

Woodstock Jag

Right, let's dust ourselves down. The players are clearly dead on their feet just now and will be as gutted as we are about the events of today if not more so. We can still make this a season to remember if we give them the kind of support we did today.

I think we need to rest a couple of players to try and keep them fresh for this run-in. I'd be tempted to give both Dowie and McMillan a start against Morton, given we'll have to move about our defence anyway. I'd be tempted to line-up:

Fox

McMillan Dowie Balatoni Sinclair

Paton (if fit)

Forbes Craigen

Elliot Erskine

Doolan

Subs: Daniels, O'Donnell, Welsh, Bannigan, Craig

Elliot is fresh and has shown promise off the bench several games in a row now. I think O'Donnell needs a rest mentally as he's gone a bit off the boil. Doolan showed again that he deserves to start and Craig would be a better option from the bench. Bannigan has bust a gut and a half for us this year, and I think if we give him a bit of a rest but look to introduce him after an hour or so he could cause some damage.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

If Bannigan is fit he must play. Biggest game in years, we need best players

I agree o'donnell needs benched, he's playing like he's clinically depressed. Mcmillan in there, with dowie in for muirhead. Paton if fit, forbes and bannigan. Lawless erskine doolan. Thats what id play. I doubt archie will changemhalf his defence before biggest game of the season though.

If Bannigan is fit he must play. Biggest game in years, we need best players

I agree o'donnell needs benched, he's playing like he's clinically depressed. Mcmillan in there, with dowie in for muirhead. Paton if fit, forbes and bannigan. Lawless erskine doolan. Thats what id play. I doubt archie will changemhalf his defence before biggest game of the season though.

I'd go with that, with exception of Elliott for Lawless. Think we need to greater physicality and height of Elliot over Lawless against the Greencok backline. Lawless as great as he can be, could get snuffed out. Bring him on as sub in 2nd half once their legs have tired if need be.

Forbes was very good when he came on today, not a massive fan but it could be said he deserves a start after his cameo today. Doolan has to start, Craif was terrible today (albeit with no service).

Dowie in defence.

Fox

O'Donnell

Dowie

Balatoni

Sinclair

Welsh

Bannigan

Forbes

Craigen

Erskine

Doolan

Subs:

Daniels

McMillan

Lawless

Elliott

Craig

If Paton fit play him ahead of Bannigan (if injured) or Craigen.

Forbes for Craigan.. Forbes delivery is fantastic and it showed today

Agreed, he slowed the game down and delivered the only creativity we had. Plus dead balls he's fantastic.

Not so sure work rate is what we need to beat Morton, just classy players and think the big stage game will suit him. Welsh out and forbes in please.

Fox

McMillan - Dowie - Balatoni - Sinclair

Paton - Bannigan/Forbes

Erskine - Welsh - Lawless

Doolan

Subs: Daniels, O'Donnell, Bannigan/Forbes, Elliott, Craig.

It's a shame that Craigen drops out of my squad entirely, but this is the biggest game of the season and we need big game players.

Paton, if he's fit, needs to start.

Just can't decide on Bannigan or Forbes. Bannigan, for me, is really showing signs of tiredness. Wasn't impressed by him today at all, and I'm one of his biggest fans. Forbes when he came on upped the tempo for us and reminded us that he's got a delivery in him. But...I still can't quite bring myself around to dropping Bannigan.

Doolan in for Craig. I would've started Doolan today, he's in goalscoring form.

Bring the two ex-Pars lads into our defence so that there's an existing chemistry with our right-sided players. O'Donnell's been off the boil for a while now so I doubt him missing out would matter too much. I just hope we don't miss Muirhead. Say what you like about him today, but alongside Balatoni he's been consistently excellent this season.

I could've also made it Lawless/Elliott, I'm just convinced somehow that Lawless can make something out of nothing and so he just retains his place in my team.

Elliot should be nowhere near the team. Today was the final straw for me.....he's pish

I agree. One goal against accies in a cameo don't make a player. Utter pish and will struggle to get above a 3rd division/English non league side next year.

Thank you and goodbye christie...

On a same vein Steven Craig? Is he honestly good enough for us?? Lazy, uncommitted and failed at numerous clubs before us - the difference wee kris made when he came on showed us what we were missing with that lump o wood up top

Elliot should be nowhere near the team. Today was the final straw for me.....he's pish

Over-reaction.

On a same vein Steven Craig? Is he honestly good enough for us?? Lazy, uncommitted and failed at numerous clubs before us

:lol:

Good old Wearethistle, never fails to provide a laugh.

Why Welsh?

Why not? Today he gave the ball way constantly. Everytime he gets the ball he needs 10 seconds to control it and then look up.

How many times in the second half did he fart about on the ball and lose it on the half way line? Bannigan does his job but much better. Only opinion though mind.

---------------------Fox------------------------

O'Donnell--Dowie--Balatoni--Sinclair--

--------------------Paton----------------------

----------Welsh---------Bannigan---------

---Lawless----------------------Erskine---

--------------------Doolan--------------------

Assuming all are fit.

Edited by Stewarty

Why not? Today he gave the ball way constantly. Everytime he gets the ball he needs 10 seconds to control it and then look up.

How many times in the second half did he fart about on the ball and lose it on the half way line? Bannigan does his job but much better. Only opinion though mind.

You are completely entitled to your opinion.

I think, in my opinion, you are being extremely critical of Sean Welsh. I think he's a vastly underrated player for Thistle. There is a reason he hasn't lost a league match, on a Sat, in over a year. He does the unglamorous job of the ball, similar to Bannigan

Part of the greatness of this team is we are arguing over who to drop!

You are completely entitled to your opinion.

I think, in my opinion, you are being extremely critical of Sean Welsh. I think he's a vastly underrated player for Thistle. There is a reason he hasn't lost a league match, on a Sat, in over a year. He does the unglamorous job of the ball, similar to Bannigan

Part of the greatness of this team is we are arguing over who to drop!

It's mental that we have to argue over who to drop rather than who t o play. Shows the progress. However, if I'm being extremely critical, do you think he played well today?

Welsh Forbes and Paton need to be our centre three. All three are quality and all have their own way of playing. Welsh does the dirty work, can make a tackle, is composed and can spray passes. Forbes barely needs talked about, I think he proved today what he can do - unfairly not been playing. Paton obviously is missed, his work rate and hunger is second to none - and that is no exageration.

I'd go:

..............................Fox..............................

O'Donnell..... Dowie.....Balatoni...Sinclair

.............................McMillan...........................

...........Paton..........................Welsh............

.................Craigen.......Forbes.................

...........................Doolan...........................

Bench:

Daniels

Erskine

Lawless

Bannigan

Craig

Unorthadox but I really think E,L,B all need a rest, no point playing people that are too tired. My team is strong and has enough people to create problems for Morton. Also Erskine and Lawless could really make an impact with 20 mins to go when Morton tire.

I'd go

Fox

O'Donnell McMillan Balatoni Sinclair

Paton

Bannigan Welsh

Forbes Erskine

Doolan

Whilst I like the idea of McMillan for O'Donnell I don't think we can risk two changes in defence.

Lawless hasn't been great last few weeks and putting Forbes on further forward means we don't lose a hard working midfielder