Yesterday's Penalty Shoot-Out

Jaggernaut

Maybe one for referees on the forum: How would the ref have decided at what end the penalty shoot-out would take place? Toss of a coin?

If not, could it be that, as somebody suggested, the pitch invasion at our goal led him directly to opt for the other end, where the QoS fans were directly behind the goal?

If so, well done to all of you who ran onto the pitch, for handing QoS an advantage.

If so, well done to all of you who ran onto the pitch, for handing QoS an advantage.

Jesus what an unbelievably stupid post!

Wish everyone on here would stop trying to criminalise our own fans.

Folk ran on to the pitch, it was a spur of the moment, euphoric act that has occurred throughout the history of the game. Have you never got a bit carried away?

Don't remember the same condemnation after the Peterhead game.

I've seen my fair share of scapegoats over the years but this one takes the biscuit.

For what it's worth I wasn't on the pitch but can totally understand why it happened. No one was out to intentionally cause trouble for the club.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 2

Ref decides where pens are taken in a shoot-out, no coin toss, you can see on the TV coverage Archie arguing a wee bit with the ref when he tells him it will be in front of the QOS fans...pretty clear why he decided to do it, rightly or wrongly, who knows if someone from the Police influenced the decision too...can't have a pop at those who jumped on, they're not the reason we didn't win the cup. We should have played better in the 90 and done the job then....

Although fair to say their keeper wouldn't have gone to the lengths he did if the pens were right in front of us...ref bottled it big time not giving him a second yellow during that shoot-out.

Jesus what an unbelievably stupid post!

Wish everyone on here would stop trying to criminalise our own fans.

Folk ran on to the pitch, it was a spur of the moment, euphoric act that has occurred throughout the history of the game. Have you never got a bit carried away?

Don't remember the same condemnation after the Peterhead game.

I've seen my fair share of scapegoats over the years but this one takes the biscuit.

For what it's worth I wasn't on the pitch but can totally understand why it happened. No one was out to intentionally cause trouble for the club.

I think "What an unbelievably stupid thing to do" (i.e. run onto the pitch) would be more like it. What's the comparison with Peterhead? The invasion at the end of the match? In any case, again the shoot-out was with their fans behind the goal. This time we managed to win it, but yesterday their keeper and the QoS fans probably psyched out Conrad.

Edited to add: Unintentional or not, there may well be trouble in store for the club. If there is, are the invaders to be congratulated for their "euphoric act"?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Maybe one for referees on the forum: How would the ref have decided at what end the penalty shoot-out would take place? Toss of a coin?

If not, could it be that, as somebody suggested, the pitch invasion at our goal led him directly to opt for the other end, where the QoS fans were directly behind the goal?

I honestly give up with this nonsense, the holier than though Im a better fan than the riff raff cr#p thats been coming out since sunday night is a joke.

Blame the (Fans) pitch invasion for a fine that hasn't been mentioned anywhere but here

Blame the (Fans) Spurs boys for the flag

Blame the (Fans) pitch invasion for handing QOS the game

We got beat cause Queens were more up for it than us, if we'd won none of this would be coming up

I sometimes think we have the most bitching fans on the planet

• Like 2

Ref decides where pens are taken in a shoot-out, no coin toss, you can see on the TV coverage Archie arguing a wee bit with the ref when he tells him it will be in front of the QOS fans...pretty clear why he decided to do it,

WHOOPS

Well, they didn't mean to cause trouble so that's all right then. CHEERS LADS

I think "What an unbelievably stupid thing to do" (i.e. run onto the pitch) would be more like it. What's the comparison with Peterhead? The invasion at the end of the match? In any case, again the shoot-out was with their fans behind the goal. This time we managed to win it, but yesterday their keeper and the QoS fans probably psyched out Conrad.

Edited to add: Unintentional or not, there may well be trouble in store for the club. If there is, are the invaders to be congratulated for their "euphoric act"?

There were 2 invasions at Peterhead - one when we scored to make it 2-1 and then the one at the end obviously. Same thing happened at Inverness in 2002 when Shaggy's free kick went in, and when we had a goal disallowed just before it. But we won those games so nothing was said about it.

Because we lost yesterday everyone is scrutinising the shoot-out and trying to blame someone for it.

Maybe later on in the week the guy who brought the Tottenham flag will get the blame for distracting the players? Wouldn't surprise me.

If the team had turned up then perhaps we wouldn't have needed a penalty shoot out. If the ref had sent off their keeper during the shootout then we might have won it.

Those people are far more responsible for the defeat yesterday than any of our fans.

I didn't for one minute "congratulate" anyone for going on the pitch. Just said I understood why it happened. The club may well get a fine but I would hope the same fine would be levied on QOS whose fans also invaded the pitch.

I honestly give up with this nonsense, the holier than though Im a better fan than the riff raff cr#p thats been coming out since sunday night is a joke.

Blame the (Fans) pitch invasion for a fine that hasn't been mentioned anywhere but here

Blame the (Fans) Spurs boys for the flag

Blame the (Fans) pitch invasion for handing QOS the game

We got beat cause Queens were more up for it than us, if we'd won none of this would be coming up

I sometimes think we have the most bitching fans on the planet

For info: The match ended in a draw, not a win for Queens. What we lost was the shoot-out.

I didn't for one minute "congratulate" anyone for going on the pitch. Just said I understood why it happened. The club may well get a fine but I would hope the same fine would be levied on QOS whose fans also invaded the pitch.

I also understand in general why it happened, though I also think that there was probably a range of motivations underlying why people behave like that. But basically I think it's down to a simple "Look at me!!" mentality. I can't think of any other obvious reason why anybody should feel the need to celebrate a goal on the pitch. Who knows, maybe there'll be another invasion on Wednesday...... by supporters of one team or the other.

An important thing to remember regarding the pitch invasion is that people had already started to get ready to leave the ground, hence why the walkaway behind the goal was really busy.

A number of factors all play a role. Mainly...

1) It's a cup final, no one is wanting to lose the game.

2) We hadn't played very well throughout the game.

3) We get a lifeline with a penalty, then miss it. We then go down to ten men, in essence eliminating all hope of an equaliser.

4) We score with literally the last kick of the game, people go absolutely bonkers.

5) The players head towards the fans to celebrate. Everyone behind the goal is gripped in mass euphoria and all head towards them.

Edited by northernsoul

According to Radio Scotland, it was the Match Commander who decided which end the penalties would be taken.

Hmm - still not happy about that. Their goalie would not have got away with his shenanigans at the other end, and it was definitely an advantage to shoot first.

Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard the decision to have the shootout behind the QoS goal had been made before ET even kicked off. Thistle crowd were deemed tougher to manage due to the noise/number, and the police were already planning for it to be behind the opposite goal should the match go to penalties, for this reason.

Nothing to do with people running on the pitch.

Nothing wrong with a bit of exuberance in my view. If it gets us into trouble then that's genuinely unfortunate. I wouldn't mind, but I'm pretty sure nobody lost their life as a result of a couple of dozen Thistle fans showing their happiness at the equaliser. In my youth, I would almost certainly have been on the pitch at that point, if I'd been near enough. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just how I feel at moments like that which are too few and far between. I really hope I haven't upset anybody by saying all this.

Total sanitation and sterilisation of the game not too far away now folks.

From where I was at the front of the East Stand, it initially looked like genuine exuberance with the fans spilling over the hoardings to celebrate with the players who were right in front of them. Entirely understandable - I was screaming like a banshee at the time...moments like that make watching 120 minutes of dire football worthwhile.

However there were a few dafties who then took the opportunity to wander about the pitch so they could be seen on the TV - you're not playing, get off the park!

Still as far as I know there were no casualties.

• Like 1

• Members

Apparently this was discussed on BBC Alba at half time, and that it would be the police's decision as to which end the penalties would be taken. According to a Queens fan I work with who watched the game on TV. No idea when the decision was taken though.

A borderer that can understand Gaelic? :D

Seriously though and ot a bit, are there many Gaelic speakers in the borders?

According to Radio Scotland, it was the Match Commander who decided which end the penalties would be taken.

That's true but when the game is at a neutral venue both clubs bring their own regular match commander. A couple of hours before KO they in turn take penalties against each other with the winning match commander choosing which end the shoot out, if required, will occur.

It was just unfortunate that the Doonhamer polisman is six foot six and regularly turns out for Dalbeattie Star where he's not unknown to take the odd spot kick. It's a crying shame when a cup final has to be decided in such an arbitrary fashion. I'm well aware that the police have a difficult job to do but I'm surprised that Maryhill Division sent us a senior officer who couldn't catch a cold.

• Like 1